Expanding the athletic program

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby Big Chuck » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:47 am

Mac,
Tournament for minor sports must be held on campus sites at night. It is not a question of finding a site. We could rent lights, but it is very expensive. If no lights, league transfers tournament site.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:55 am

so change the rule? not a substitute for lighting and other necessary improvements i know but seems incongruous to ask someone to play on another's field? who approves such nonsense? oh wait...lecrone.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:08 am

Since we are the only ones without lights, I don't see a big groundswell for change. Shouldn't all athletes have a chance to play in at least as nice of environment as they did in high school?
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:52 am

theroundsquare wrote:Maybe the beach volleyball team can play at the forthcoming Atwater Beach. I'll spring for the uniforms. With the limited amount of fabric, it can't cost that much.

:D :D :D
titanmike
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:54 am

Is the merger of St. Thomas and Barry Universities going to be call Barry St. Thomas or St. Thomas Barry University? There is also the derivative of Barely St. Thomas University.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:06 am

StJoeUofD wrote:Is the merger of St. Thomas and Barry Universities going to be call Barry St. Thomas or St. Thomas Barry University? There is also the derivative of Barely St. Thomas University.

Heard it's going to be "St. Thomas, Barry University."
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:37 pm

i think i'll go with tombar. yeah that's it. tombar.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:11 pm

What would be interesting as far as football that was talked about in the past is partnering with UDJ since they don't have a football field and maybe with a few other high schools in Detroit, if we were to complete the football field, lights and bleachers maybe additional revenue there enough to eventually justify Div 1 FCS Pioneer League. This still boils down to completing infrastructure projects that will have an immediate positive impact on other Detroit Mercy sports.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:41 pm

UDJ has a nice turf field on campus with lights, they just don't have the seating they would like for football. You can't get PSL teams, they are not allowed to play at night it's a safety issue. Safety is part of the reason UDJ plays at hazel park and Ferndale.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:52 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
StJoeUofD wrote:Is the merger of St. Thomas and Barry Universities going to be call Barry St. Thomas or St. Thomas Barry University? There is also the derivative of Barely St. Thomas University.

Heard it's going to be "St. Thomas, Barry University."

How about St. Barry, and they can bring Watson -- St. Perry -- out of retirement to coach their basketball team.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:34 pm

actually mik one of the ideas floated around at the time was building a joint stadium for use by the high school and the u. made sense to me?
titanmac
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:48 pm

Yea! Women's volleyball. Don't know a thing about the game but when I see it on TV it does have a compelling aesthetic. Don't quite know what it is...
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby bctitans1987 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:55 pm

Kirky - U of D Jesuit doesn't play it's home football games at their field because there is not enough parking or seating. If it were a "safety" issue, as you claim, they wouldn't play their home basketball games at Curley Hall--or have any other night time activities (of which there are many).

My older son graduated in 2015 and I have a sophomore that attends The High. We have never experienced problems and in fact, I find the neighborhood to be safe.

The University would be well-served to take a cue from UDJ. It is run more efficiently and professionally than UDM.
bctitans1987
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:33 pm

so riddle me this bc? (ps. my son graduated from there too and i agree wholeheartedly with your assessment.) since the same basic cadre run both institutions, to the extent that they even swapped officers and board members from time to time, including presidents, how could they run one so well and the other so poorly? it's an enigma!
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:19 pm

titanmac wrote:so riddle me this bc? (ps. my son graduated from there too and i agree wholeheartedly with your assessment.) since the same basic cadre run both institutions, to the extent that they even swapped officers and board members from time to time, including presidents, how could they run one so well and the other so poorly? it's an enigma!

Jesuit Leadership?
titanmike
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:36 pm

^^^ No more lay presidents! Install a Jesuit priest! Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:30 pm

titanmac wrote:so riddle me this bc? (ps. my son graduated from there too and i agree wholeheartedly with your assessment.) since the same basic cadre run both institutions, to the extent that they even swapped officers and board members from time to time, including presidents, how could they run one so well and the other so poorly? it's an enigma!

In 1990 - the university was in dire straights and had to merge with Mercy. The high school was suffering from low enrollment figures. Fast forward 27 years and the High school has flourished and is a real gem in the city, and in SE Michigan while the University has seemingly treaded water.

The alumni involvement at the High is night and day compared with the University.

As someone told me a few years ago, people want to be part of a winner -- and the high school has been a winner for long time now and that's just fed itself more success, more support, more donations. If only the University could get itself in that type of positive feedback loop, and as several of you say - there's so many similiar characteristics as to why their divergent paths just don't make sense.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Do the Sisters of Mercy have anything to do with the HS?
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:05 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:Do the Sisters of Mercy have anything to do with the HS?

No. But they do have something to do with Mercy High School in Farmington Hills.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:05 pm

bctitans1987 wrote:Kirky - U of D Jesuit doesn't play it's home football games at their field because there is not enough parking or seating. If it were a "safety" issue, as you claim, they wouldn't play their home basketball games at Curley Hall--or have any other night time activities (of which there are many).

My older son graduated in 2015 and I have a sophomore that attends The High. We have never experienced problems and in fact, I find the neighborhood to be safe.

The University would be well-served to take a cue from UDJ. It is run more efficiently and professionally than UDM.

MY bad, i know all of the DPS schools it's a safety issue... was not trying to talk out my a**.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball