Expanding the athletic program

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby titanmac » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:22 pm

it's the same leadership for both institutions. always has been.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4752
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby TitanTarHeel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:55 pm

Right, its the oddest thing though that for UDJ the sky is truly the limit and thats the ambition for that school. While at UDM, the peers they continually benchmark themselves to are not aspirational nor the best of the best (never are do compare ourselves to Xavier, Marquette, BC, etc, instead its Fairfield, and the like) - mediocrity is generally a-okay thus we are where we are at.

There was a time not long ago (90's I think) that the successful alumni of dear ole UD could rival UM and MSU with how many CEO's, Court Justices, etc we had. How all of those smart, successful people have moved thru 6/Livernois and we never aimed too high for decades just baffles and frustrates.
TitanTarHeel
Senior
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:51 pm

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby bctitans1987 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:58 pm

There hasn't been any leadership swaps between UDJ and UDM in at least 40 years...

When UDJ was going in the wrong direction, the Board told the Jesuits that they were going to find a new leader to replace Fr. Malcolm Carron, who was former president at both schools, as well as Loyola High. The search committee landed Fr. Timothy Shannon from Ignatius Loyola H.S. in Cleveland. He was the one that began the resurgence at UofD High. He was extremely outgoing, focused on fundraising and building the image of the school. The first thing he did was to embark upon a renovation of the library, turning it back into the original chapel). Then he built a new gym, locker/weight rooms, football field/track--basically he oversaw a doubling in the size of the school. He was literally...everywhere. After Fr. Shannon, the Cubs were lucky enough to be assigned a new president, Fr. Karl Kiser, who left last year after a 14-year stint. Fr. Kiser was the one who built the unbelievable STEM center at a cost of $20M. None of it was financed. Paid for solely on donations. He also started an endowment for the teachers and put the school on solid financial footing. Fr. Kiser moved to Gesu Parish in Cleveland (just outside of John Carroll's campus) and was replaced by Fr. Ted Munz.

The leadership exhibited by Shannon and Kiser transformed the school. It is now the premier Jesuit (Catholic) high school in the country.

Frankly, I think the Jesuits have given-up on UDM...
bctitans1987
Senior
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:55 pm

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:18 am

Chicago State only enrolled 86 freshmen this past academic year. Their response to this numbers problem? A plan to add football:

chicagocitywire.com/stories/511075102-csu-eyes-adding-division-i-football-despite-budget-woes
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3002
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby uofdmik2008 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:10 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Chicago State only enrolled 86 freshmen this past academic year. Their response to this numbers problem? A plan to add football:

chicagocitywire.com/stories/511075102-csu-eyes-adding-division-i-football-despite-budget-woes


Bob,

Thanks for sharing this, a Div1 Non-scholarship could possibly be very beneficial to the school, with added students and more activities on campus, only problem is our dorms are completely full and we do not have room for them at this point. If we added Dorms and some infrastructure there may in fact be feasibility in the Patriot League and the school actually making money on Football, but we have a lot of work before we can do that! Someone mentioned Lawrence Tech just recently added football, could be fun Metro Detroit game against Wayne or Lawrence Tech if it ever came to fruition, I think Oakland also has a club football team.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:21 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Chicago State only enrolled 86 freshmen this past academic year. Their response to this numbers problem? A plan to add football:

chicagocitywire.com/stories/511075102-csu-eyes-adding-division-i-football-despite-budget-woes


Bob,

Thanks for sharing this, a Div1 Non-scholarship could possibly be very beneficial to the school, with added students and more activities on campus, only problem is our dorms are completely full and we do not have room for them at this point. If we added Dorms and some infrastructure there may in fact be feasibility in the Patriot League and the school actually making money on Football, but we have a lot of work before we can do that! Someone mentioned Lawrence Tech just recently added football, could be fun Metro Detroit game against Wayne or Lawrence Tech if it ever came to fruition, I think Oakland also has a club football team.

I can think you mean Pioneer League, not Patroit League.

I'm not really big on adding football at Detroit Mercy.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3002
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby titanmac » Mon May 15, 2017 6:38 pm

i am. it'd draw. better than lacrosse.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4752
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby NC Titan » Mon May 15, 2017 8:49 pm

Gentlemen, start your checkbooks.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2341
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby titanmac » Mon May 15, 2017 11:42 pm

that's right!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4752
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sat May 20, 2017 12:51 pm

It would be so cool to see a women' s volleyball game inside Calihan Hall.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:51 pm

Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby Titans96 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:19 pm

Mik,

Too bad your comparison schools have significantly more money in their endowments than UDM. It is much easier to expand the athletic programs when you have money to pay for them.
Titans96
Senior
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby UDDRUMMER » Thu May 25, 2017 7:10 am

Baseball! If we had room on campus, build a field and name after Reggie Hall!
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:53 am

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby uofdmik2008 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:10 am

UDDRUMMER wrote:Baseball! If we had room on campus, build a field and name after Reggie Hall!


Baseball would be nice but it would require scholarships and then we would need to start women's sports with scholarships due to Title IX. Schools add FCS non-scholarship football because it is actually a net positive to the university in many instances due to players paying tuition and receiving no aid from the school, likewise not as many title IX issues due to absence of scholarships. The biggest issue for a school like ours is infrastructure, we lack the stadium, practice facilities as is and we lack the dorm space for the students that want to live on campus so where are you going to put an additional 100+ students. The amount of money that needs to be raised to add basically any sport at this stage is staggering to do that in a short period of time. To solve the dorm situation, stadium, practice facility and to make renovations and upgrades to Calihan is going to take time, vision and a lot of work. Success in a revenue sport like basketball is going to be crucial to donations, revenue and even can help enrollment at the school, the priority is basketball because that can drive the additional revenue to get other things done on campus! Coach if you are reading this, no pressure!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:38 am

Completely agree with everything you just said, Mik. Related, the improvement of the neighborhood around campus is critical, and there's only so much you can do to influence that.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2268
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby upbasketballfan » Sun May 28, 2017 10:06 am

Rogobob77 wrote:
uofdmik2008 wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Chicago State only enrolled 86 freshmen this past academic year. Their response to this numbers problem? A plan to add football:

chicagocitywire.com/stories/511075102-csu-eyes-adding-division-i-football-despite-budget-woes


Bob,

Thanks for sharing this, a Div1 Non-scholarship could possibly be very beneficial to the school, with added students and more activities on campus, only problem is our dorms are completely full and we do not have room for them at this point. If we added Dorms and some infrastructure there may in fact be feasibility in the Patriot League and the school actually making money on Football, but we have a lot of work before we can do that! Someone mentioned Lawrence Tech just recently added football, could be fun Metro Detroit game against Wayne or Lawrence Tech if it ever came to fruition, I think Oakland also has a club football team.

I can think you mean Pioneer League, not Patroit League.

I'm not really big on adding football at Detroit Mercy.


I think adding Sumo Wrestling would bring more interest than Club Football. Do the Greeks have a football league in the fall? If so I wonder how many turn up for their games and how many would be involved if they had to pay. I think the whole secret is to do what is necessary to allow more students to reside on campus in stead of everyone taking off for the suburbs once classes are finished, activity creates activity.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1612
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:24 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:
uofdmik2008 wrote:
Bob,

Thanks for sharing this, a Div1 Non-scholarship could possibly be very beneficial to the school, with added students and more activities on campus, only problem is our dorms are completely full and we do not have room for them at this point. If we added Dorms and some infrastructure there may in fact be feasibility in the Patriot League and the school actually making money on Football, but we have a lot of work before we can do that! Someone mentioned Lawrence Tech just recently added football, could be fun Metro Detroit game against Wayne or Lawrence Tech if it ever came to fruition, I think Oakland also has a club football team.

I can think you mean Pioneer League, not Patroit League.

I'm not really big on adding football at Detroit Mercy.


I think adding Sumo Wrestling would bring more interest than Club Football. Do the Greeks have a football league in the fall? If so I wonder how many turn up for their games and how many would be involved if they had to pay. I think the whole secret is to do what is necessary to allow more students to reside on campus in stead of everyone taking off for the suburbs once classes are finished, activity creates activity.


The talk here was of Div 1 FCS Non-Scholarship Football, similarly to Valpo and Butler. The point is the kids who want to play Div 1 but get no offers from D1 schools and are willing to pay tuition would attend school here, thus defraying some of the costs with tuition dollars and helping to increase enrollment. Issues as outlined before are around infrastructure, from lack of housing and training facilities to lack of facilities to play in.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:46 pm

We've had the football talk numerous times over the last few years on this board. Trust me in that a football program at UDM would be an unmitigated disaster no matter how you tried it. Even if you had a non scholarship roster, a football program still costs a TON of money when you look into coaches salaries, equipment, insurance, travel, etc. The truth is, being a school as small as we are with limited resources and facilities, we are lucky to still be D1 at all. Football could ruin our entire athletic department and cost the university millions.

I'm sure someone is doing the math right now on X number of football players times the current UDM tuition to prove the total would offset the items I listed above. Fact is, tuition dollars go to things like faculty salaries and overhead, etc. We've had that conversation before as well. Just give up on this.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2268
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:22 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:We've had the football talk numerous times over the last few years on this board. Trust me in that a football program at UDM would be an unmitigated disaster no matter how you tried it. Even if you had a non scholarship roster, a football program still costs a TON of money when you look into coaches salaries, equipment, insurance, travel, etc. The truth is, being a school as small as we are with limited resources and facilities, we are lucky to still be D1 at all. Football could ruin our entire athletic department and cost the university millions.

I'm sure someone is doing the math right now on X number of football players times the current UDM tuition to prove the total would offset the items I listed above. Fact is, tuition dollars go to things like faculty salaries and overhead, etc. We've had that conversation before as well. Just give up on this.


I don't disagree that it cannot be done at this time for numerous reasons including some of what you said, the biggest one being finances, however size of institution is exactly the type of schools that compete in Non-Scholarship D1 Football. Also the fact that it is brought up often is an indication that there is some demand for it there. Its not cheap, costs Valpo $850,000 per year for their football program, but they have football and enrollment is 500 or so fewer students than ours. My reply to UP was that we were not talking about Club Football. I think the focus should be on our revenue generating sport, Men's Basketball and several years of success before we can talk about adding sports, also improving infrastructure for current sports so we have room for those student-athletes to practice in decent facilities and have space on campus to house any additional students. Considering we had no championships in the last year from any of our sports, we have a lot of work to do, although several sports showed continued improvement and promise.

Butler 4700 students, endowment $180 Million- Pioneer League
Valpo 4500 students, endowment $210 Million- Pioneer League

Detroit Mercy 4900 students, endowment $46 million(biggest issue is lack of resources)

Sports however, can be used to improve enrollment, on campus atmosphere and student-athletes and die hard fans tend to be more involved with their universities. There are several studies that show correlation at P5 schools between frequency of attending sporting events and likelihood of donating after graduation, but you cannot place the cart before the horse, we cannot add anything at this time until we make some big strides in what we have! I think the point here is we should want more from our school and not give up in improving it, I don't want to feel lucky about being D1, I want to be proud of being a D1 school that competes in the classroom, on the court and maybe one day in the long future from now on a football field. There is a lot of work to be done to make Detroit Mercy great again!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Re: Expanding the athletic program

Postby NC Titan » Tue May 30, 2017 7:07 pm

A slight dispute with the numbers of students. Our dental and law students are pretty disconnected from the university. If you count just undergrads, UDM has 2,672 students compared with 3,300 at Valpo and 4,034 at Butler. And while the Detroit area has a larger population than either other metro area, there is a ton more competition with MSU and UM both pretty close by dominating the college football scene.

Anyone have an idea of Wayne State's (22,000 undergrads) college football attendance?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2341
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests