Conference Realignment

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Conference Realignment

Postby Commissioner » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:54 am

MooseGuy1 wrote:
Commissioner wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Grand Canyon chirps in: we aren't interested in joining the Horizon League:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/c ... 421875001/

This doesn't sound to me like a school that has definitely rejected the HL past this year:

""We are excited for the opportunity to compete for championships this upcoming school year and it's great that GCU is gaining national recognition." (emphasis added)

Yeah, I agree that it was not exactly a definitive rejection, Commish, But, seriously, why in the hell would they want to join the Horizon? This conference is getting crappier by the moment. No natural geographic rivalries, huge travel costs. Nothing about GCU joining the HL makes any sense except as a short term stepping stone. It certainly wouldn't gain them any national attention...save for the most dedicated and wonkiest hoops junkie.

The Horizon is sinking fast, but it still probably outranks a WAC that includes something called UTRGV, Chicago State, Utah Valley, etc. And I doubt it would increase Grand Canyon travel costs. They already travel to Chicago, Kansas City, and Seattle. Oh, and Brownsville, 18 hours by bus--well, you may have done the Phoenix-Brownsville trip--or nearly 5 by plane, unless they charter. Bakersfield isn't easy to get to either. And there's nothing resembling travel partners in the league.

Anyway, we've got to win games.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:37 am

Hey, UTRGV signed Sheryl Swoopes' son who was a JUCO that averaged 9.0 ppg.

The only thing we have in common with every other member of the HL is geographic location. Every one of our traditional Midwest private university rivals saw the positive value that a successful athletic program could have upon overall enrollment and invested the necessary resources into attaining that goal. Each one of them has moved into a better conference situation while we have sat and done nothing. And now we are the lone private school in a conference of hyphenated and anagrammed large State universities - none of which face anything close to the same issues that we face as a small private university. Our only choice is to win our way out of this mess.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:01 am

ptctitan wrote:Hey, UTRGV signed Sheryl Swoopes' son who was a JUCO that averaged 9.0 ppg.

The only thing we have in common with every other member of the HL is geographic location. Every one of our traditional Midwest private university rivals saw the positive value that a successful athletic program could have upon overall enrollment and invested the necessary resources into attaining that goal. Each one of them has moved into a better conference situation while we have sat and done nothing. And now we are the lone private school in a conference of hyphenated and anagrammed large State universities - none of which face anything close to the same issues that we face as a small private university. Our only choice is to win our way out of this mess.

I like to think of Detroit Mercy as the Northwestern of the Horizon League.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:18 am

Question: if in the next year the Horizon expanded to 14 members by adding say Robert Morris, Fort Wayne, Grand Canyon, and NMSU, is that something you could be somewhat happy with as a Titan fan over the next decade? I think that might be the best case scenario in terms of the HL and I don't see Detroit Mercy going to another conference in the foreseeable future.

If the MVC were to breakup someday due to realignment forces, I could see UDM joining a Midwest private league with Loyola, Evansville, Valpo, Bradley, Drake, etc., down the road, but that involves forces beyond our control. What Detroit Mercy does have control over is increasing the size of its own fan base, better marketing, improving finances, and putting a better product out on the court.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:37 am

Rogobob77 wrote:Question: if in the next year the Horizon expanded to 14 members by adding say Robert Morris, Fort Wayne, Grand Canyon, and NMSU, is that something you could be somewhat happy with as a Titan fan over the next decade? I think that might be the best case scenario in terms of the HL and I don't see Detroit Mercy going to another conference in the foreseeable future.

If the MVC were to breakup someday due to realignment forces, I could see UDM joining a Midwest private league with Loyola, Evansville, Valpo, Bradley, Drake, etc., down the road, but that involves forces beyond our control. What Detroit Mercy does have control over is increasing the size of its own fan base, better marketing, improving finances, and putting a better product out on the court.

I would love the Midwest private league, but its not going to happen anytime soon. I've contemplated on this issue for awhile, and I don't think Grand Canyon and NMSU are worth the trouble. Its difficult for me to accept that UDM is on the brink of becoming a low-major. I think we have the right coach, with the right personality to improve things.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:53 pm

We all need to face the fact that in the foreseeable future, we are stuck in the Horizon League. It is close, affordable and there is no compelling reason for us to either leave or for some other league to entice us to leave. Only changes to the facts on the ground are going to cause any action. There are probably two options that have equal weight to allow for change. (1) We are successful enough in basketball to draw 2-3 times as many fans as we draw today and another conference will want us. (2) The school gets into deeper financial problems and they decide that Division I athletics is not a priority. There is probably a 10% chance of either one of those options. Reality says that there is probably an 80% chance the we remain between these two options and just stay in the league.

My thought is that feeling good or bad about who the competition is gains us nothing. The only thing that will improve the situation is to increase the number of students that attend the games. You do that by winning games. Because the campus is located in an area that won't attract players based solely on its beauty or charm, we have to get guys and gals that are overlooked, attached to the university or tarnished in some way. There is nothing wrong with this. It is only hard to have a consistent program with these issues. As the coach in the movie Hoosiers says, "this is the team we have." Let's give them our support and we can expect that they will give us back all that their heart and ability will allow. I personally don't expect superstars, just workmen like guys that get the job done to the best of their ability. They are Detroit's team. The city was built on the back of factory workers. Our school and their team should probably be of the same ilk.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:18 pm

I can't argue with anything StJoe has said (mostly because I've said it all, too). Except maybe the financial problems, because I think the school is better off.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:21 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:We all need to face the fact that in the foreseeable future, we are stuck in the Horizon League. It is close, affordable and there is no compelling reason for us to either leave or for some other league to entice us to leave. Only changes to the facts on the ground are going to cause any action. There are probably two options that have equal weight to allow for change. (1) We are successful enough in basketball to draw 2-3 times as many fans as we draw today and another conference will want us. (2) The school gets into deeper financial problems and they decide that Division I athletics is not a priority. There is probably a 10% chance of either one of those options. Reality says that there is probably an 80% chance the we remain between these two options and just stay in the league.

My thought is that feeling good or bad about who the competition is gains us nothing. The only thing that will improve the situation is to increase the number of students that attend the games. You do that by winning games. Because the campus is located in an area that won't attract players based solely on its beauty or charm, we have to get guys and gals that are overlooked, attached to the university or tarnished in some way. There is nothing wrong with this. It is only hard to have a consistent program with these issues. As the coach in the movie Hoosiers says, "this is the team we have." Let's give them our support and we can expect that they will give us back all that their heart and ability will allow. I personally don't expect superstars, just workmen like guys that get the job done to the best of their ability. They are Detroit's team. The city was built on the back of factory workers. Our school and their team should probably be of the same ilk.

Well said, St. Joe.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:41 pm

Ironically, I can remember an article written in one of the dailies back when the MCC was in existence with us and Xavier, Oral Roberts, St. Louis, etc., that advocated that if the Titans wanted to raise their profile they needed to get out of that "church league". Times change.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:23 pm

Okay, Commish. Good answer. But I must say that I'm growing just a mite weary of your indefatigable use of logic and factual data to support your views.

Here at Moose, Inc., our motto is pretty simple: "Reactionary." That's all we need; one word and a strategically placed period to discourage opposing opinions. This policy was started by our founder, MooseGuy the First when he experienced what was then known as gender dysphoria. It seems Grandpa decided that, despite evidence to the contrary (read antlers) that he was not a bull Moose but rather a Moose cow. This was 1921 and he took all kinds of incoming over his radical stance. But MooseGal the First stuck to his (her) guns, stating the revolutionary then but now mainstream position that words and definitions meant nothing. In the parlance of the day, he stated that we can feel and publish whatever we damn well please. Since that liberating declaration, we have continually expressed whatever we feel whilst disregarding what you logic Nazis call facts. It's great. Example: I suggested a certain wonkiness to your posts when, in a world of definition, you, Commish, would be anything but wonky. I decided that wonky means ridiculously obsessed with minutiae. You'd probably say it meant skewed or off beat if you came from a pre-1921 Moose declaration viewpoint.

I hope this clears things up.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:25 pm

Okay, Commish. Good answer. But I must say that I'm growing just a mite weary of your indefatigable use of logic and factual data to support your views.

Here at Moose, Inc., our motto is pretty simple: "Reactionary." That's all we need; one word and a strategically placed period to discourage opposing opinions. This policy was started by our founder, MooseGuy the First when he experienced what was then known as gender dysphoria. It seems Grandpa decided that, despite evidence to the contrary (read antlers) that he was not a bull Moose but rather a Moose cow. This was 1921 and he took all kinds of incoming over his radical stance. But MooseGal the First stuck to his (her) guns, stating the revolutionary then but now mainstream position that words and definitions meant nothing. In the parlance of the day, he stated that we can feel and publish whatever we damn well please. Since that liberating declaration, we have continually expressed whatever we feel whilst disregarding what you logic Nazis call facts. It's great. Example: I suggested a certain wonkiness to your posts when, in a world of definition, you, Commish, would be anything but wonky. I decided that wonky means ridiculously obsessed with minutiae. You'd probably say it meant skewed or off beat if you came from a pre-1921 Moose declaration viewpoint.

I hope this clears things up.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:26 pm

Wow, I posted 3 times.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:31 pm

My Ipad is wonky.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:51 am

MooseGuy1 wrote:Wow, I posted 3 times.

Fat hoof syndrome? ;)
ptctitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:57 am

Motor City Sam wrote:Ironically, I can remember an article written in one of the dailies back when the MCC was in existence with us and Xavier, Oral Roberts, St. Louis, etc., that advocated that if the Titans wanted to raise their profile they needed to get out of that "church league". Times change.

The more things change; the more they remain the same.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:59 am

rogobob77 - I'd rather be the Gonzaga of this league than the Northwestern.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:00 am

Now, I've posted 3 times. :o
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:14 am

That's okay. I would have read it three times anyway just to get the full effect of that post. :D
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:57 pm

ptctitan wrote:

Fat hoof syndrome? ;)

I hadn't considered that, ptc. More like fat head syndrome, but the medical staff here at Moose, Inc. are treating this as potential brain worm. It's a common, symptomless affliction in deer but almost always bad news for Moose. From what I've been told, it causes those of the moose persuasion to stumble around acting drunk. Naturally, my next question was "How'd you know the difference?"
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:

That's okay. I would have read it three times anyway just to get the full effect of that post. :D

LOL. By the way, has the Commish stopped taking your calls, too, or is it just me?
MooseGuy1
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball