Conference Realignment

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Conference Realignment

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:19 pm

There's been a lot of recent speculation that Wichita State might leave the MVC soon and join the American Athletic Conference. (Link: http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... twitter_si) Would the MVC then pick off a team or maybe even three from the Horizon League? Another perhaps less likely scenario would be that the MVC implodes as some of the football playing state schools get itchy feet with the Shockers departure and head elsewhere. That might allow the HL to attract some of the basketball schools like Evansville, Bradley, Drake and even Loyola.

On a different note, Detroit News reporter Tony Paul tweeted today that Oakland was in some discussions with the A-10 in the last couple years, presumably about potential membership. He said the talks went nowhere and are now considered dead.
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Conference Realignment

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:11 pm

OU would need a bigger gym if they expect their aspirations to come to fruition.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:19 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:OU would need a bigger gym if they expect their aspirations to come to fruition.

Their AD was on the radio the other day saying that Oakland's long range vision is to build "a Division 1 arena." Give them credit for being aspirational. I could see OU making a pitch for the MVC if Wichita State leaves. Milwaukee or Valpo might be at the head of the list.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Super hard sell with that gym.. Valpo people think they are the next big thing and there stock is trending the best.. i would agree
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:12 am

valpo has no market to sell.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:18 am

titanmac wrote:valpo has no market to sell.

Umm they are practically just outside Chicago and have been consistently near or at the top of the leagues they have been in. The only drawback I would see for them is arena size, quality.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:38 am

no one in chicago cares about a small northern indiana town. chicago is already full of college sports as well as pro.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:24 am

Don't know what Valpo would add to MVC basketball. They really aren't a presence in Chicago market--Valpo is located in the furthest corner of what is called the "Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI Metropolitan Statistical Area" -- historically, it is part of the Gary, Indiana metro area. It is over 50 miles from downtown Chicago, that is, about like Fredericksburg, VA to Washington, DC, Trenton, NJ to New York City, or Reading, PA to Philly. The league now has Loyola to get teams to Chicago for alumni, recruiting, etc.

Here is the Chicago Tribune's complete coverage of Valpo's loss to Milwaukee in the Horizon tournament:
Milwaukee (10-23) stunned No. 2 seed Valparaiso (24-8) with a 43-41 win. Both teams shot below 35 percent from the field.

They don't have a beat reporter or anything. I'm not mocking or criticizing Valpo--hell, our coverage in the Detroit papers is rarely more than wire service coverage, too--just pointing out that they are not really considered a "Chicago market" sports team.

Valpo's recent success on the court certainly merits attention and will get them in discussions, but I can't see that they would help the MVC as much as Milwaukee or Detroit, or even Wright State or Northern Kentucky. Those schools would bring in new markets. NKU has a beautiful arena; Wright State draws over 4000; Milwaukee is a good geographic fit. Other than the Detroit market, I'm not sure what we bring besides memories, but we also offer more upside potential than Valpo. A successful Titan program could again be a major draw in a major market city.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:00 pm

titanmac wrote:no one in chicago cares about a small northern indiana town. chicago is already full of college sports as well as pro.

Thanks Mac, I had no idea. Really? Chicago has college sports and pro? So maybe Valpo isn't part of the Chicago market. Just my opinion.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:05 pm

well you sound like you have know idea.
titanmac
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:14 pm

I lived in Chicago for 10 years up until recently - can confirm that Valpo doesn't hit the radar of the Trib or local market. That's not to say they wouldn't be a good fit for MVC, just my accounting of what I saw while there.

Heck, DePaul, UIC, Loyola and even Illini hoops have a hard enough time getting much coverage or interest in the Chicago area. It's all about the pro teams first of all. For college, there are so many transplants that you'll have great luck catching a game at a 'Michigan bar' or 'MSU bar' or almost any midwest school (Iowa, Wisconsin et al).

OU is performing well across all sports, there move up to another conference certainly is a possible outcome in mid/long term.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:54 pm

titanmac wrote:well you sound like you have know idea.

No, what I sounded like is that my opinion on this differs from yours, simple as that.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:18 pm

i guess i don't know what to say. you can generally look these things up and determine exactly what element of the chicago market segment pays any attention or is even a viable potential element of the reach of a small northern indiana college town. you have a market saturated with sports of all kinds including the following colleges that play basketball in the state: illinois state, depaul, loyola, northwestern, illinois chicago, evansville, bradley, northern illinois, southern illinois. i think an educated guess allows for the well considered conclusion that the average chicago sports fan cares about as much about valpo basketball as the average detroit sports fan does. but your right, you can believe what you want.
Last edited by titanmac on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
titanmac
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:35 pm

I am chuckling at us snubbing our noses at Valpo. They are in a town of 32,000 and a county of 166,000 drawing 3500 per game. We are in a town of 688,000 and a county of 1,775,000 drawing 2100 per game.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:59 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:I am chuckling at us snubbing our noses at Valpo. They are in a town of 32,000 and a county of 166,000 drawing 3500 per game. We are in a town of 688,000 and a county of 1,775,000 drawing 2100 per game.

Believe me, I am not snubbing my nose at Valpo. They are going up, we are going down. (Can Bacari and Vowels reverse that? We'll see). Just sayin' I don't see them offering much to the MVC. Detroit has more upside because the market is so much larger, and it would be a new market for the conference.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:09 pm

My sources are telling me that Detmer to the MVC is a done deal. I can't reveal these sources but I will say that they are not the same sources that you would expect. Commish was right, exposure to the Detroit (and Icelandic) market was the key element.
Last edited by The-Dude on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:10 pm

I grew up in Chicago and I've spent most of my life there (although I'm glad I escaped to Indiana 3 years ago, IL is an economic tinderbox).

I'll echo what others said. No one in the Chicago market cares at all about Valpo. Unless you're an alum, why would you? Pro sports teams get all the coverage. And with Chicago sports teams doing so well these days, it's even tougher for the city schools to get news coverage. I think Northwestern got some great media this year, but that was special because it's their first tourney. I remember being a HS and college student when UIC had a great team from 98-04. They had 3 tourney appearances in a 6 year period but they didn't get much media attention and they certainly didn't build any kind of following off that success.

I'd be willing to bet that most metro Chicago residents couldn't tell you with much accuracy where Valpo even is. It's seen as a decent college for Lutherans. Chicago sports fans want to spend their days at Wrigley Field or it's roof decks. I'm amazed what they spend on Blackhawks games.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:11 pm

is that the detmer in iceland?
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:55 pm

titanmac wrote:i guess i don't know what to say. you can generally look these things up and determine exactly what element of the chicago market segment pays any attention or is even a viable potential element of the reach of a small northern indiana college town. you have a market saturated with sports of all kinds including the following colleges that play basketball in the state: illinois state, depaul, loyola, northwestern, illinois chicago, evansville, bradley, northern illinois, southern illinois. i think an educated guess allows for the well considered conclusion that the average chicago sports fan cares about as much about valpo basketball as the average detroit sports fan does. but your right, you can believe what you want.

No Mac, I can have an opinion, regardless if it is the wrong opinion. Discussion brings forth knowledge, I am coming around to your theory. Arrogance however brings forth rudeness, but what do I know, I am just uneducated.
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:52 am

How about we just focus on our own business, become a consistent 22-win team, and then choose and deal from a position of strength instead one of hope?

It will take all of us working together for such a goal in order to reach it. And "us" includes more than just the posters on this board. It starts at the very top of the university - those above Dr. Garibaldi. It extends down to us fans.

Gonzaga proves that a solid, big-dog program in a small conference can still achieve excellence. From enrollment increases to endowment increases. But it takes a buy-in from the very top as well as from us. And I know that despite all of the back and forth here, we all want success on the court. And we want the school to grow and prosper.
ptctitan
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball