Hogan is Staying, leaving, staying, ineligible....

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Hogan is Staying

Postby sacredheartgreg » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:52 pm

I thought for sure Taariq Mommy and Daddy doing his!
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:53 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Tony Paul
@TonyPaul1984
·
1h
Detroit Mercy staring at a 12th loss in a row, and still without Kameron Chatman (concussion) and Jaleel Hogan and Tariiq Jones, too. No official word on absence of Hogan and Jones. Likely grades. Second semester started Monday.

Ugh hope that’s not true. Well we won without the three so hopefully one comes back on Friday.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:22 pm

I also hope it's not true. I'd feel awful for Jaleel. But when a player is out and the team gives no reason in early January it's usually grades.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:43 pm

Hate to be the one to bring it up, but IF those two are academically ineligible... who do you think takes more flack for it on this board? BA or Ray?

I, for one, would like to address Sam directly and say that it's all Ray's fault that Tariiq didn't hit the books last semester. :)
udballer
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:52 pm

I’m sure if Jone’s is gone for grades it will add to his lawsuit for pain and suffering.
And since the University must know this, I’m sure they did everything to keep him in school.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:53 pm

Actually, I think it was all part of Vowels' master plan. He FORCED Ray to offer Hogan a scholarship. Ray didn't want to sign Hogan and everyone knows it. Vowels had a timeline all worked out, and he colluded with Hogan, and Hogan bombed his finals to screw BA so that Vowels' BFF, JJ, could then (and ONLY then!) assume his reign as head coach of the Titans. Duh.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:03 am

Tacitus, good job you successfully “lost your credibility” and have proven beyond a doubt that you have no clue.

Your logic is as solid as JJJr’s shooting and defense. Were you in the Dumb and Dumber movie?
Titans96
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:10 am

udballer wrote:Hate to be the one to bring it up, but IF those two are academically ineligible... who do you think takes more flack for it on this board? BA or Ray?

I, for one, would like to address Sam directly and say that it's all Ray's fault that Tariiq didn't hit the books last semester. :)

Shouldn't it be the player's fault? I saw them both there on TV and they both were part of the group that mobbed Corey.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:11 am

Titans96 wrote:Tacitus, good job you successfully “lost your credibility” and have proven beyond a doubt that you have no clue.

Your logic is as solid as JJJr’s shooting and defense. Were you in the Dumb and Dumber movie?

Huh? Not too quick on the uptake are ya?
udballer
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:28 am

Tacitus651 wrote:Actually, I think it was all part of Vowels' master plan. He FORCED Ray to offer Hogan a scholarship. Ray didn't want to sign Hogan and everyone knows it. Vowels had a timeline all worked out, and he colluded with Hogan, and Hogan bombed his finals to screw BA so that Vowels' BFF, JJ, could then (and ONLY then!) assume his reign as head coach of the Titans. Duh.

It's nice to see some good, clear thinking around here for a change. You know, if you just change the "j" to another "a" (and "a" and "j" rhyme, after all), then Jaleel Hogan is an anagram for "An algae hole." I think that pretty much explains everything that's gone on the last four years. Good job, Tacitus! ;)
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:55 am

udballer wrote:Hate to be the one to bring it up, but IF those two are academically ineligible... who do you think takes more flack for it on this board? BA or Ray?

Beat me to it. :-)
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 am

I feel like I missed the boat on this one. I prefer to take the more logical approach now which I was reminded of last night. Ray and BA are both not ultimately accountable for the grade issues of players. I am confident that both try, along with staff, to get the kids to class etc. I was wrong before.

Last night a players dad reminded me. These players are adults, the responsibility of success in the classroom and on the court is on them. More so in the classroom. Hogan of all people should have matured, clearly he hasn't.
titanmike
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:01 am

You are correct, Mike, that ultimately it's the student taking the test, doing the work in the classroom. The support structure will only go so far, unless you're North Carolina and have people taking tests for the athletes.

Having said that, I think it is obvious to everyone that some people are cut out for college, and some are not. There are some borderline students who will benefit from the environment, culture, professors who mentor, students from different places who he/she would not meet otherwise....etc etc that make a difference in some student's lives; that actually change the person's entire life forever, in a positive way. Ultimately I believe it's up to the coach to classify their prospective student-athletes into these 3 categories: 1) yes, this kid belongs in college 2) no, this kid does not belong in college or 3) this kid is borderline academically but with the right nurturing he/she has what it takes internally to seize the opportunity and make it go.

Then, as a coach, you have to decide if you only want kids from Category 1 or will gamble on certain kids in Category 3. To take a gamble on such a kid, it has to be more than pure talent; PW could read what was inside the kid and extrapolate on their college potential. A fan mentioned this to me in conversation recently: Perry was a longtime student counselor at Southwestern. He was trained in this area and must have had a natural instinct for making educated guesses on a kid's character and potential. His outcomes were not perfect (he did miss on some kids) but his overall 18-year grade was an A+.

Based on my categories, it is quite obvious that Paris Bass belongs in Category 2. I am afraid that Tariq does as well. I would like to think Hogan belongs in Category 3 but I might be just wishing it because I like him so much.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:24 am

This is on Hogan more than anyone. He's a senior. He was supposed to be a leader and a force on the team this year. He screwed up at the tail end of his Junior year - only to start the transfer drama and then put on loads of weight as he got back eligible of the summer. Now he's borderline eligible for the team? What a big let down, but most of all he has let himself down. His stock in playing pro overseas has taken a HUGE drop from just 10-12 months ago. For that I can't help but feel a little sorry but he has to incur the repercussions. He knew the deal with grades for his first few years.

Turning into a bummer of an ending of what could've really been a wonderful Titan career all around.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:58 am

It's interesting to contrast this to the Don Sicko thread where someone pointed out players we recruited who could not qualify academically but went on to success at other schools (one example was a kid who went to Georgetown -- couldn't get into UofD, got into G'town??). Our eternal challenge: finding top-level ballplayers who can qualify and be successful academically.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:27 pm

NC Titan wrote:It's interesting to contrast this to the Don Sicko thread where someone pointed out players we recruited who could not qualify academically but went on to success at other schools (one example was a kid who went to Georgetown -- couldn't get into UofD, got into G'town??). Our eternal challenge: finding top-level ballplayers who can qualify and be successful academically.

Ben Gillery and Greg Bents recruitments were both similar to a couple of Ray McCallum recruits, Lorenzo Bonam (Utah) and Coreante Deberry (Cincinnati ), they were denied admission to UofD, attended JUCOS and ended up at other schools.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:48 am

I'm still hopeful that maybe Jaleel narrowly missed a passing grade in a class and that appealing one grade could make a difference. Or it's possible BA instituted a higher GPA requirement to play and Jaleel missed that mark but is eligible per NCAA rules and they can work something out. I realize those are unlikely scenarios and I hate to conjecture about a player's grades at all on the board, but yeah, it doesn't look good.

I've been an instructor for D2 and now D1 athletes. It's amazingly hard on them. If you're not a very gifted student, you have to use every hour you're awake either studying, practicing, or playing. I think the difference between D2 and D1 is significant, as D1 usually has requires a lot more travel. Sure, you can study on the road but those aren't the best study conditions. Plus, travel can be exhausting. And while you're excused from missing class, you still missed class! It's hard to pass a final if you missed the review class that covered the exam material. I think basketball is the most challenging sport. You basically start the academic year in season (spending time at official practice and then unofficial practice/gym time and workouts), then play a season from November until March. Compare that to football where you travel 7 times per season and have the entire spring semester without games and pretty limited practice time. It's tough. Especially if you have trouble in math or science and eventually you need to earn those credits.

Hope it works out for him.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Does anyone know if Hogan and T.Jones were on the bench last night?
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:32 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:Does anyone know if Hogan and T.Jones were on the bench last night?

The announcer said they did not make the trip.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titandave » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:40 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:Does anyone know if Hogan and T.Jones were on the bench last night?

The announcer said they did not make the trip.

Wondering if this means they are done for the season. Hopefully BA will shed some light on this point during the luncheon.
titandave
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball