Hogan is Staying

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:03 pm

Hoopster_Now_In_DC wrote:Likely landing spots => Central Michigan or Georgia State

where was it mentioned that CMU or GA State are likely landing spots?
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:12 pm

In the past U of D has unexpectedly lost important players and we weathered those storms: Spencer Haywood, Kevin Smith, Darian McKinney to name the ones I remembered. Recall when the Pistons lost Grant Hill and we replaced him with Ben Wallace. Things turned out alright. I believe we will overcome this surprise loss. My faith in BA remains firm. We are Titan Tough.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:18 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:What is the difference between building a program on 5th year seniors versus 1st year one and done guys? Kentucky doesn't seem to be suffering by having players that only play one year.

The difference is that Kentucky's one and dones are supremely talented and only enrolled in college because they are forced to be for a season prior to NBA riches.

In contrast, 5th year players tend to be much less talented as evidenced by the fact that they've been around 5 years. The NBA rarely comes calling for this lot.

When you stop and think about it, there is a monstrous chasm of difference between these two sets of players.
udballer
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:22 pm

udballer wrote:
StJoeUofD wrote:What is the difference between building a program on 5th year seniors versus 1st year one and done guys? Kentucky doesn't seem to be suffering by having players that only play one year.

The difference is that Kentucky's one and dones are supremely talented and only enrolled in college because they are forced to be for a season prior to NBA riches.

In contrast, 5th year players tend to be much less talented as evidenced by the fact that they've been around 5 years. The NBA rarely comes calling for this lot.

When you stop and think about it, there is a monstrous chasm of difference between these two sets of players.

Not to mention the fact that most 5th year grad transfers who are good enough to make an impact often end up spending that last year at a high major, i.e. Akeem Springs of Milwaukee.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:27 pm

My guess is he'll reconnect with RayMac at Georgia State or go home to Mt. Pleasant.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:35 pm

udballer wrote:

In contrast, 5th year players tend to be much less talented as evidenced by the fact that they've been around 5 years. The NBA rarely comes calling for this lot.-

Ideally you would like to have a player for four years, but that seems less likely these days. Some transfer because they don't get enough playing time. Personality conflicts are envitable, often leading to irreconcilable differences. There are departures that come with coaching changes. Kids get homesick. Academic issues. Drug problems or other legal difficulties. The great ones leave to enter the draft. Fifth-year seniors want a chance to play on a bigger stage or where they can get major minutes before hanging up the gym shoes. So you have to build a team with a combination of high school recruits, junior college players, and transfers with one, two or three years of remaining eligibility. At least with fifth-year players, you generally know what you are getting, they can plug an immediate hole, and they only use up a single year of a scholarship. Perhaps a bandaid approach but right now we need a tourniquet.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:39 pm

Hoopster_Now_In_DC wrote:My guess is he'll reconnect with RayMac at Georgia State or go home to Mt. Pleasant.

Hoopster, you may be right. I thought the transfer may have occurred due to the fact he was a RayMac recruit and Hogan may not have liked the style of ball he was being asked to play and wanted to play for Ray Sr again. By all accounts he is a good person but BA's system may not be the right fit for him. Hopefully it will be a win-win for both parties. Hogan goes to a program who style of play he likes and we use that scholarship for a player who is committed to play BA style. What we lose on offense we may gain back on defense. May even get a stretch 4 to ultimately fill his spot.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:51 pm

FWIW, he is still listed on the roster on the University's DetroitTitans.com website.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:52 pm

Maybe he hated the school's new logo.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:56 pm

Of course we all hate this with a passion but sometimes the devil is truly in the details. For now, I hope he lands on his feet somewhere, regardless of the reason(s) for leaving Detroit. This post may nominate me for a 5 star General Obvious promotion but sometimes we just don't know all the details and speak from partial ignorance--actually, I do this all the time. At some point the reasons for this may surprise us, either mitigating or aggravating how we feel about Jaleel's departure. We had three good years from a young man who never "mailed it in". I wish it would be four but stuff happens.

Now that the initial shock has worn off, I'll hope that BA has a plan that will work long term and be self sustaining. As pissed off as I get at the way things appear to be going, it's not like the administration calls me daily to report progress on their recruiting or philosophy. Just hoping for some good news soon.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:57 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Maybe he hated the school's new logo.

Perhaps, Bob. If so, get in line, Jaleel; you have a lot of company.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:05 pm

I am going to miss Jaleel. He was a force to watch, and he earned a spot in our hearts forever for that Oakland game where he carried the team to a victory that salvaged the season.

That said, if I were JH I would be tired of playing out of position. He's a PF forced to play center, and I hope he lands where he can showcase his PF skills in a couple of years. He reminded me of Adrian Dantley or Mark Aguirre on offense, but the defense part of being at center certainly wore on him. He really needed Jones last year.

I hope he gave BA enough warning that he was leaving that we had time to focus on a down-low replacement who can be a center playing some true -- as opposed to out-of position -- defense.

Jaleel, best wishes and best of luck wherever you land.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:32 pm

NC Titan wrote:I am going to miss Jaleel. He was a force to watch, and he earned a spot in our hearts forever for that Oakland game where he carried the team to a victory that salvaged the season.

That said, if I were JH I would be tired of playing out of position. He's a PF forced to play center, and I hope he lands where he can showcase his PF skills in a couple of years. He reminded me of Adrian Dantley or Mark Aguirre on offense, but the defense part of being at center certainly wore on him. He really needed Jones last year.

That would suggest he does not think we are going to have help at center this coming year, wouldn't it?
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:56 pm

Commissioner wrote:
NC Titan wrote:I am going to miss Jaleel. He was a force to watch, and he earned a spot in our hearts forever for that Oakland game where he carried the team to a victory that salvaged the season.

That would suggest he does not think we are going to have help at center this coming year, wouldn't it?

Wouldn't a presumably healthy Isaiah Jones, 6-11, be part of the answer there?
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:17 pm

titandave wrote:If Mark Donnal is seeking playing time ...... UDM is the place to be. :)

We didn't make Donnals short list. (Clemson,Vanderbilt,Creighton).

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle ... 100397438/
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:38 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
titandave wrote:If Mark Donnal is seeking playing time ...... UDM is the place to be. :)

We didn't make Donnals short list. (Clemson,Vanderbilt,Creighton).

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/colle ... 100397438/

That shouldn't be a surprise. As was said earlier, unless he just had a great relationship with BA, there was no reason to think that U of D would be a preferred destination for him.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:41 pm

There was a book published in 1972 that foreshadowed all that transpired in Titan Territory today:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexand ... ry_Bad_Day
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:47 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:There was a book published in 1972 that foreshadowed all that transpired in Titan Territory today:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexand ... ry_Bad_Day

LOL. Darn it, man, it's too late at night for me to be laughing this hard.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:54 am

Tacitus651 wrote:I...Not the fast start today that Dude was hoping for. Are you ok, Dude?! Dude?!...

Hey man, thanks for checking in. I'm really not doing well at all Dude. On top of it, I had a nightmare that the new logo was chasing me and kicking me in the nuts so I can't sleep now...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:26 am

Rogobob77 wrote:Text of his Instagram message:

"First off I would like to thank the University of Detroit Mercy for the opportunity to grow as a player, student and more importantly, as a man. The past three years here has been life changing and the relationships I've made here will last a lifetime. But after a lot of thought and prayer, my family and I have decided that it is in my best interest to transfer from Detroit Mercy and continue my collegiate career elsewhere. I wish the best of luck to Detroit Mercy in the future. I and to my teammates; I love you guys and will always consider you my brothers. I'm excited to see what God has in store for me."

TitanVoiceofReason wrote: I thought the transfer may have occurred due to the fact he was a RayMac recruit and Hogan may not have liked the style of ball he was being asked to play and wanted to play for Ray Sr again. By all accounts he is a good person but BA's system may not be the right fit for him. Hopefully it will be a win-win for both parties. Hogan goes to a program who style of play he likes and we use that scholarship for a player who is committed to play BA style. What we lose on offense we may gain back on defense. May even get a stretch 4 to ultimately fill his spot.

I was hoping BA would be a good coach for Hogan since BA was a pretty good player in the paint, especially at the defensive end. But Ray did recruit Hogan and Ray's and BA's styles, demands, and personalities are very different. Ray seemed to try to get the best talent he could find and mold his team around the guys he had. BA seems to want to have a particular system and make the guys he has mold into that system. Hogan mentions the university and his teammates, but not coaches in his statement. Maybe the team will improve once BA gets players that buy into his system (although it did not seem Hogan did not buy into the system). I just hope we don't wait 4 or 5 years to see if the BA experiment works. No fall recruits, losing (arguably) our best player, and no verbals or strong leanings from quality recruits that we know of is not a good sign.

Its hard to think this could turn out as a win/win, but I hope TitanVoiceof Reason is correct.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball