Hogan is Staying

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Hogan is Staying

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:11 pm

I thought this deserved its own thread:

Per dtowntitan in the Shaq v. Hogan thread "Jaleel is transferring..... per his instagram"

That is a big loss. Ironic that its on signing day too. We are going the wrong way, if this is true.
Last edited by JimmyChitwood on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyChitwood
Senior
 
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:13 pm

Text of his Instagram message:

"First off I would like to thank the University of Detroit Mercy for the opportunity to grow as a player, student and more importantly, as a man. The past three years here has been life changing and the relationships I've made here will last a lifetime. But after a lot of thought and prayer, my family and I have decided that it is in my best interest to transfer from Detroit Mercy and continue my collegiate career elsewhere. I wish the best of luck to Detroit Mercy in the future. I and to my teammates; I love you guys and will always consider you my brothers. I'm excited to see what God has in store for me."
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2412
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Oh, seriously? Aw crap. Don't tell me this. My favorite Titan is transferring...oh, I can't tell you how much this sucks!
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:19 pm

Okay, again, tell me how we are going in the right direction?

I wish Jaleel nothing but the best but this is a big blow to the program. But I can't really blame him for leaving. Why waste your last year on a team that for all the world looks like it's floundering?

Jaleel, if you check the board, just want to let you know how much I enjoyed watching you play. Met you once, too, and you're a good guy. Good wishes to you.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:24 pm

I wonder if he might be eligible to graduate if he takes a full load of classes this summer. That I believe would make him eligible to play for the 2017-18 season.

If he has to sit out a year, would seem to make a lot less sense. Hogan would have been the star of the team next year, hard to sit out a full season at this stage of his career.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2412
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:24 pm

I thought we were supposed to GAIN players this week, not lose them. Just an awful loss. I want to give BA a chance like anyone else, but this is probably the lowest I've seen the program in my 12 years as a fan. If McFolley or Allen were to leave I'd honestly just give up on the Titans.

Not the fast start today that Dude was hoping for. Are you ok, Dude?! Dude?!

I'm also anxiously awaiting baller's thoughts on this development.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 1373
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:27 pm

Really strange to transfer with one year of eligibility remaining. He'll sit out one year and play one year. I wonder if he's heading to Atlanta and will join coach Mccallum at Georgia State.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:36 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:Really strange to transfer with one year of eligibility remaining. He'll sit out one year and play one year. I wonder if he's heading to Atlanta and will join coach Mccallum at Georgia State.


I heard he's taking his talents to Boulder to play under JJ and alongside JJ Jr.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 1373
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby ExcitedTitan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:40 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:My favorite Titan

He was a lot of people's favorite Titan.
ExcitedTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 7:40 am

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby titanmike » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:42 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:Okay, again, tell me how we are going in the right direction?

I wish Jaleel nothing but the best but this is a big blow to the program. But I can't really blame him for leaving. Why waste your last year on a team that for all the world looks like it's floundering?

Jaleel, if you check the board, just want to let you know how much I enjoyed watching you play. Met you once, too, and you're a good guy. Good wishes to you.


He isn't leaving because the team looks like it is floundering.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1562
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Someone on the Oakland message board posted that Detroit News reporter Tony Paul tweeted this out a few weeks ago: "Yes, Detroit Mercy gets couple key transfers on court next year, including Kam Chatman. But rumblings of a potential crushing transfer-out." Sounds like this may have been brewing for awhile.

I know in one of his post-season stories about the Titans, Paul mentioned that Corey Allen would not be transferring. I thought this statement was strange at the time unless perhaps there was some speculation that he might have been considering doing so.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2412
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:46 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Text of his Instagram message:

"First off I would like to thank the University of Detroit Mercy for the opportunity to grow as a player, student and more importantly, as a man. The past three years here has been life changing and the relationships I've made here will last a lifetime. But after a lot of thought and prayer, my family and I have decided that it is in my best interest to transfer from Detroit Mercy and continue my collegiate career elsewhere. I wish the best of luck to Detroit Mercy in the future. I and to my teammates; I love you guys and will always consider you my brothers. I'm excited to see what God has in store for me."


Oh, man. I was hoping that was a joke when I read it on the board earlier. This hurts. Hogan was one of the few bright spots of the past season.

Good luck, young man.
Motor City Sam
Senior
 
Posts: 4497
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:47 pm

5 open scholarships. I'm sure BA is in his office composing tweets about how this is actually an opportunity disguised as bad news. Can't wait to meet the Un-fabulous Five. A collection of Schoolcraft transfers and guys with D2 offers coming to Calihan.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 1373
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Just yesterday the Athletic Department sent out a press release touting the stats for three Titans, including Hogan:

http://detroittitans.com/news/2017/4/11 ... ories.aspx

That would seem strange to do if the University knew that he was planning to announce the following day that he was transferring.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2412
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Commissioner » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:02 pm

Floored. Our best player is leaving. And to announce right as we are making our final push to sign recruits this year.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4368
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby titandave » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:08 pm

If Mark Donnal is seeking playing time ...... UDM is the place to be. :)
titandave
Senior
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:11 pm

titanmike wrote:
MooseGuy1 wrote:Okay, again, tell me how we are going in the right direction?

I wish Jaleel nothing but the best but this is a big blow to the program. But I can't really blame him for leaving. Why waste your last year on a team that for all the world looks like it's floundering?

Jaleel, if you check the board, just want to let you know how much I enjoyed watching you play. Met you once, too, and you're a good guy. Good wishes to you.


He isn't leaving because the team looks like it is floundering.[/quote

Alright. So why is he leaving? He was due to be the team leader next year, he'll have to sit a year. Why would he go? Is he graduating early and transferring to a university for post-grad studies? Mike, if you know why could you tell us? Because being unable to retain our top senior is not very encouraging.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby The-Dude » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:11 pm

Stay calm please. There is indication that Hogan is aware of next year's line-up and wanted to move on. With this said, the rumor floating around is that we are getting a couple of big fish, one of which will be a surprise, and NO, he's not from Iceland...
The-Dude
Senior
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:27 am

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:16 pm

Some philosophical musing from Hogan: "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the staircase."
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2412
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:24 pm

The-Dude wrote:Stay calm please. There is indication that Hogan is aware of next year's line-up and wanted to move on. With this said, the rumor floating around is that we are getting a couple of big fish, one of which will be a surprise, and NO, he's not from Iceland...

That doesn't make much sense. If the rumored recruits have to sit out, it would have no bearing on next season. If eligible to play immediately, bolstering the lineup with additional strong players would most likely allow Hogan's game to flourish and raise prospects for a memorable senior season.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2412
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Next

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ptctitan, Road Scholar, Tacitus651, TerryTylerFan, titanmac and 30 guests