Hogan is Staying

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby NC Titan » Fri May 05, 2017 4:38 pm

I'm proud that Jaleel wore the Titan uniform.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titandave » Fri May 05, 2017 5:00 pm

ptctitan wrote:At this point, I'm prepared to deal with either scenario. I hope he stays. But, in team sports, it's next man up - if he does not stay.

He's on the 2016-17 roster because he played the full year on that roster. The school has not yet released its roster for the 2017-18 season. Probably won't happen until June. BTW, you'll still find Bass on the roster for the 2015-16 season.

At the time that we were all focused on AFS remaining or going, the coach stated publicly that the staff was working hard with Jaleel during exam week to get him through those tests. Jaleel missed practices that week in order to study. As a result, he did not start in the Western Ky and the Fort Wayne games. Go back and watch the post-game press conferences. I think BA's comment on this issue is in one of them. Ergo, I'm thinking that upper class grades during this past year may have been a struggle for the young man. There could be many reasons for it - and those reasons are none of our business.

All I know is that on the court, he gave 100% or more each game under many challenging circumstances. And he appears to be a good young man. That's all that matters to me whatever happens. Sometimes things just don't work out despite the best efforts of all involved. And other times, a rabbit can actually be pulled out of a coach's hat for a positive result. So, I hope for the positive result and am prepared for the negative - with malice towards none.

Totally agree, your post really hits the mark. Whatever scenario plays out ...... all the best to Jaleel and his Family!
titandave
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Jaleel Hogan has committed to UAB
HSScout1
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:59 pm

HSScout1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:13 pm

Loved watching Hogan's toughness on the court, never took a minute off in that regard. My gut says he is making a big mistake, but hope he finds what he is looking for in the transfer move. Bacari could soften the blow by signing a couple more good recruits in the coming week.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:28 pm

Good luck to Hogan. I still don't see what he gains by transferring. The only reason I can come up with is that there is a personality conflict between himself and the coaching staff. Nothing else makes sense.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed May 10, 2017 6:36 pm

It's a short term loss only - for this year.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed May 10, 2017 6:49 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:Good luck to Hogan. I still don't see what he gains by transferring. The only reason I can come up with is that there is a personality conflict between himself and the coaching staff. Nothing else makes sense.

Actually what makes most sense is his transferring and sitting out a year. This will allow him to focus on academics which sometimes elude even the nicest of young men. Maybe despite the loss we will in fact be better in the long run despite how dissapointing it appears now. This may in fact open the door for those willng to commit to the Titan Way of excellence that we expect both on the court and in the classroom.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:55 pm

^ Yup. Wish Jaleel well but for whatever reason we aren't the place for him. Hope he gets a mentor and support at UAB. Hope we get a replacement who embraces the Titan Way as BA sees it.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:19 pm

All I can say is I hope it works out well for Jaleel. Sometimes it just makes sense to move. I think I know, broadly speaking, the reason(s) he's leaving. Some of it's basketball related and some is not. It doesn't matter really. It might be best if he has a year off; he can get his academics (and FT%) in order without the added responsibilities of being an active athlete and come back the following year ready to go for UAB. As a fan, I hate to see him leave. Jaleel always gave it his best and that's what I ask as a paying customer. The one and only time I spoke to him, he was friendly, polite, and engaging. I may be wrong (as I say, I don't really know him) but I think he's a good hearted, team-oriented individual. If he did have a problem with BA, a difference of opinion on team philosophy, the Coach's wishes need to come first and it'd be appropriate for Hogan to go somewhere where his view meshes better with the staff's. That doesn't mean, necessarily, that either party is right or wrong. Jaleel just may be a better fit in Birmingham than Detroit. I'll continue to follow his progress when he gets back on the court and look back on his time here fondly.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed May 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Jaleel will be sorely missed. Best of luck to him!
udballer
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed May 10, 2017 10:18 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:All I can say is I hope it works out well for Jaleel. Sometimes it just makes sense to move. I think I know, broadly speaking, the reason(s) he's leaving. Some of it's basketball related and some is not. It doesn't matter really. It might be best if he has a year off; he can get his academics (and FT%) in order without the added responsibilities of being an active athlete and come back the following year ready to go for UAB.

For UAB? No, you guys don't see this. Bacari is playing chess to the other guy's checkers. Jaleel goes to UAB, practices with the team, gets his academics in order and graduates. Then he immediately transfers back to Detroit as an immediately eligible grad transfer. Voila! We got UAB to cover his scholarship for a redshirt year. It's genius, I tell you, genius!
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed May 10, 2017 10:23 pm

Has anyone thought about how Hogan ended up at UAB? Was there some tampering? I see they have one player on their roster from Flint. Hogan is from Saginaw and graduated from Mt. Pleasant so not sure if he and the guy from flint are acquaintances or not. The coaches do not seem to have Michigan connections. One assistant was an assistant at wright State two years ago, but I'm always fascinated buy the connection.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby UDDRUMMER » Thu May 11, 2017 7:24 am

Wish this was FAKE NEWS lol. Hogan was definitely a force, his hard work leadership will be missed. I'm not sure why you would transfer in your final season, anyway time to move on.

We definitely have size now in the Center and PF positions. After the Oakland game, teams would double team Hogan, the ball would be dished outside and our outside shooting could not get the job done. I am excited to see what this recruiting class can do for us!!
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Thu May 11, 2017 7:29 am

Hogan is not leaving. All this propaganda is being generated by Russian hackers who are in cahoots with Kampe. #SAD...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Thu May 11, 2017 7:41 am

Fox News was reporting we were winning so much that Hogan got tired of winning.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu May 11, 2017 7:48 am

CNN and MSNBC reported they wanted him gone months ago, several people quoted on camera. Today they are up in arms and can't believe he is gone.
titanmike
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:00 am

titanmike wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:Good luck to Hogan. I still don't see what he gains by transferring. The only reason I can come up with is that there is a personality conflict between himself and the coaching staff. Nothing else makes sense.

Actually what makes most sense is his transferring and sitting out a year. This will allow him to focus on academics which sometimes elude even the nicest of young men. Maybe despite the loss we will in fact be better in the long run despite how dissapointing it appears now. This may in fact open the door for those willng to commit to the Titan Way of excellence that we expect both on the court and in the classroom.

Why couldn't he sit out next season at UDM and focus on his school work? It looks like Hogan wanted out. Who knows why, it's difficult to get information from the Pentagon...oops, I meant Calihan Hall.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby ExcitedTitan » Thu May 11, 2017 8:40 am

titanmike wrote:CNN and MSNBC reported they wanted him gone months ago, several people quoted on camera. Today they are up in arms and can't believe he is gone.

BA just completed his thorough and complete investigation of Hogan leaving and has determined that BA and his staff are no way to blame... and its Obama's fault. (o.k. I am done wit this line. Just like poking titanmike :twisted: ).

Good luck Jaleel. Thanks for playing for us and bringing us that big win at the Orena this year. You seemed to give it your all all the time. Fun to watch.
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:04 am

R.B.J1 wrote:
titanmike wrote:

Why couldn't he sit out next season at UDM and focus on his school work? It looks like Hogan wanted out. Who knows why, it's difficult to get information from the Pentagon...oops, I meant Calihan Hall.

Haven't you heard of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulations? It would be illegal for the University to provide any of the information you are looking for.
Rogobob77
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball