Hogan is Staying, leaving, staying, ineligible....

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Commissioner » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:28 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
The-Dude wrote:Stay calm please. There is indication that Hogan is aware of next year's line-up and wanted to move on. With this said, the rumor floating around is that we are getting a couple of big fish, one of which will be a surprise, and NO, he's not from Iceland...

That doesn't make much sense. If the rumored transfers have to sit out, it would have no bearing on next season. If eligible to play immediately, bolstering the lineup with additional strong players would most likely allow Hogan's game to flourish and raise prospects for a memorable senior season.

There is no way Hogan would be short of PT next year unless we're signing a couple top 100 power forwards.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:37 pm

Commissioner wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:
The-Dude wrote:Stay calm please. There is indication that Hogan is aware of next year's line-up and wanted to move on. With this said, the rumor floating around is that we are getting a couple of big fish, one of which will be a surprise, and NO, he's not from Iceland...

That doesn't make much sense. If the rumored transfers have to sit out, it would have no bearing on next season. If eligible to play immediately, bolstering the lineup with additional strong players would most likely allow Hogan's game to flourish and raise prospects for a memorable senior season.

There is no way Hogan would be short of PT next year unless we're signing a couple top 100 power forwards.

Don't shoot the messenger, sit tight. 2 fifth year seniors coming in. I'm not sure why Hogan is leaving, that may be related or may be completely unrelated. I think being asked to play a new position his last year may have had something to do with it but that's just a hunch...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:49 pm

I was at the tigers game when I saw this, totally ruined my day. I am still waiting to pass judgment, but the last year has made it very hard to consider continuing to support this program. I hope I am pleasantly surprised by who is incoming. Right now, the future does not look bright, and BA was supposed to bring all this. "hope and change".. Wait, that was Obama. Recruits and Wins, That's what I was looking for... Where are those top recruits and all that winning?
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:56 pm

Thanks for making us feel better, for a moment at least. If one of the 5th year seniors is Donal, then the other one better be a future NBA draft pick. I am also a wolverine fan and I've seen Donal play, and he plays with the enthusiasm of a tortoise. I remember reading an article in which Hogan said that coach Alexander was going to look out for him, because he reminded him of himself. I want to know what went wrong.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Kirky just told it how it is. #truth
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:08 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:

Thanks for making us feel better, for a moment at least. If one of the 5th year seniors is Donal, then the other one better be a future NBA draft pick. I am also a wolverine fan and I've seen Donal play, and he plays with the enthusiasm of a tortoise. I remember reading an article in which Hogan said that coach Alexander was going to look out for him, because he reminded him of himself. I want to know what went wrong.

Basically, to break even on this we need a 5th year transfer who is an all-conference calibre power forward or center. We'll see.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:57 pm

Commissioner wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:

Basically, to break even on this we need a 5th year transfer who is an all-conference calibre power forward or center. We'll see.

I guess this puts it in perspective. We have players coming in but are not going to be as good as Jalethal. It's a big blow but not a bust...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:17 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I thought we were supposed to GAIN players this week, not lose them. Just an awful loss. I want to give BA a chance like anyone else, but this is probably the lowest I've seen the program in my 12 years as a fan. If McFolley or Allen were to leave I'd honestly just give up on the Titans.

Not the fast start today that Dude was hoping for. Are you ok, Dude?! Dude?!

I'm also anxiously awaiting baller's thoughts on this development.

I'm not even sure what to think about this. Worst start to a signing period ever, maybe?

There is absolutely no way to spin this as anything other than awful. And, my thoughts on 5th year seniors? Honestly, I could give two *hits about 5th year grad transfers and I really don't care if the player is Mark Donnal or Buddy Hield. It is no way to build a program. Their purpose is to fill a gap, if only momentarily. If we actually bring in multiple 5th year guys... that's like admitting we couldn't get any decent high school players to buy what we were selling.
udballer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:43 pm

I don't know. If we got five 5th year seniors for this recruiting class and they were successful, it would be an awesome 30 for 30. I can hear the ESPN promo in my head.

"What if I told you that in 2018, an unlikely group of 5th year transfers would come together at a mid major with a historic past but a bleak future. Their epic Final Four appearance captured the hearts of Americans as one of the greatest Cinderella stories ever. ESPN's 30 for 30 proudly presents March of the Titans."
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I don't know. If we got five 5th year seniors for this recruiting class and they were successful, it would be an awesome 30 for 30. I can hear the ESPN promo in my head.

"What if I told you that in 2018, an unlikely group of 5th year transfers would come together at a mid major with a historic past but a bleak future. Their epic Final Four appearance captured the hearts of Americans as one of the greatest Cinderella stories ever. ESPN's 30 for 30 proudly presents March of the Titans."

Well done.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:55 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I don't know. If we got five 5th year seniors for this recruiting class and they were successful, it would be an awesome 30 for 30. I can hear the ESPN promo in my head.

Well done for sure. If our goal is to try for 30 for 30, it may be a sound strategy.
udballer
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:10 pm

If we are out recruiting 5th year seniors and losing our own guys then this program has lost its way. I thought hogan was an exceptional young man who we should all be proud to call a Titan. I have already given my opinion on what I feel is not right at Liv. and 6. If I say what I feel right now about this most of you would be offended.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:14 pm

A sad development. He was a leader on last year's team. He played hard.

There are many reasons why a student-athlete may decide "to continue his collegiate career elsewhere." And these reasons may not apply to the team, the athlete's role on the court, or the coaches. I wish him the best. And I look forward to an influx of 5 new players now.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:25 pm

Likely landing spots => Central Michigan or Georgia State
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Hoopster_Now_In_DC wrote:Likely landing spots => Central Michigan or Georgia State

Why go to CMU? I get that he's from the area, but I for one am hoping he upgrades, significantly. I think he's proven he will be an asset to any team at the PF spot, so long as they have a legit Center.
udballer
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:23 pm

udballer wrote:
Hoopster_Now_In_DC wrote:Likely landing spots => Central Michigan or Georgia State

Why go to CMU? I get that he's from the area, but I for one am hoping he upgrades, significantly. I think he's proven he will be an asset to any team at the PF spot, so long as they have a legit Center.

Would be a bad sign if we lost him to CMU, or a similar mid major.

Heck, it's a bad sign no matter where he goes. It's rare to see a senior to be transfer somewhere else for his last year of eligibility, especially when he has been as productive as Hogan. If he is able to graduate and be eligible immediately, it makes more sense, but if he has to sit out a year and still wants to transfer, that's a red flag.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:38 pm

What is the difference between building a program on 5th year seniors versus 1st year one and done guys? Kentucky doesn't seem to be suffering by having players that only play one year. Maybe this is BA's reverse strategy. It may be the only 1 and done strategy that a Mid-major has available to them is with 5th year seniors. I say, let's wait for a month and decide what is up.

That being said -- Hogan was an aggressive and formidable player to watch. Enjoyed every time he touched the ball. I did yell a few times for him to pass it back outside, but most of the time he made me eat my words by finding a way to the hole. Good luck Jaleel.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby TerryTylerFan » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:44 pm

I sure didn't see this coming. Not much to add to these comments, just a sudden gut-punch of lousy news. I'll keep hoping for some good recruiting news but it will be tough for it to be a net plus for next season.

Best of luck to Jaleel. It was a real treat to watch him develop.
TerryTylerFan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:54 pm

This makes me want to puke. He's a fan favorite; he gets honors and awards from the school and the league; he'll likely be projected first team all-conference. Yet he wants to go somewhere where they get no more national recognition, no more meaningful attendance, no higher level of competition, not in any really serious way closer to home at CMU, or in any way closer at Geo. St.; leaving behind teammates that he claims are his "brothers" ... . They're not even teams that one could say are much more likely to make the big dance next year. And yet we can't keep him for his final year? If he ends up at Marquette I'm more understanding. But if it's really CMU?

Again, we'll see what we come up with, but this strikes me at first glance as a relatively major indictment of the coaching staff that this young man wants to transfer to CMU or GSU.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:56 pm

Great player and tough as nails, but Hogan looked destined for an overseas professional career based on his lack of height at his natural PF position. He may be postponing commencement of a pro-paycheck by a year by leaving the Titans now, so this development is a head scratcher. Again, I wonder if he could have sufficient credits to graduate by going to school this summer, but I would think additional course work would need to be completed at UDM on his own dime. I guess more details behind his decision to transfer will eventually surface.
Rogobob77
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball