Page 4 of 10

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:32 am
by NC Titan
Commissioner wrote:
NC Titan wrote:I am going to miss Jaleel. He was a force to watch, and he earned a spot in our hearts forever for that Oakland game where he carried the team to a victory that salvaged the season.

That said, if I were JH I would be tired of playing out of position. He's a PF forced to play center, and I hope he lands where he can showcase his PF skills in a couple of years. He reminded me of Adrian Dantley or Mark Aguirre on offense, but the defense part of being at center certainly wore on him. He really needed Jones last year.


That would suggest he does not think we are going to have help at center this coming year, wouldn't it?


If the outlook is freshman bigs, probably not. If the outlook is transfers, no.

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:39 am
by ptctitan
Commissioner wrote:That would suggest he does not think we are going to have help at center this coming year, wouldn't it?


No. The specific wording of his Instagram announcement suggests a lot of possibilities - many of which do not directly involve playing basketball. He is a good person who represented us well during his 3 years as a Titan. I wish him only the best.

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:34 am
by TitanTarHeel
This is a bit unusual for a Junior to be transferring, to sit a year, and play the one final year. It can make a bit more sense if he's a grad transfer and just looking for a final year of ball at a stepped up school/conference. By all accounts (someone correct me if wrong) he seemed like a good kid who was liked my teammates and he did the things necessary to be a good teammate. I'll wait and see until we get a bit more clarity on what has transpired.

Just think, 12 months ago we were sitting around and had to be optimistic about what the 2017-18 season would look like headlined by our star seniors Paris Bass and Hogan. Now both gone. (and yes I know Paris was a completely different situation)

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:07 pm
by Rogobob77
Ran across this hard-to-believe statistic today: about 40% of all MBB players who enter Division I directly out of high school depart their initial school by the end of their sophomore year. Always hurts when it is someone from a program you follow and the player is an important cog for the team, but it something common at all levels of D-1.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files ... 161116.pdf

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:26 pm
by Rogobob77
Not sure what if anything to make of the this, but: 1) from what I can tell, the "I'm leaving Detroit Mercy" meme appears to have been deleted from Hogan's Instagram recent photos, 2) he's still listed on the team roster, 3) the school hasn't issued a press release or otherwise commented on his leaving the program, 4) the Detroit News and Detroit Free Press haven't ran an item confirming Jaleel's intent to transfer.

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:32 pm
by Tacitus651
It's also gone from his Twitter. If you read this board, Jaleel, don't leave us. You're a fan favorite.

Also, if BA could land Jaleel as his first recruit for this year's class, you'd have to tip your cap to him. Hogan is a solid player.

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:24 am
by NC Titan
Rogobob77 wrote:Not sure what if anything to make of the this, but: 1) from what I can tell, the "I'm leaving Detroit Mercy" meme appears to have been deleted from Hogan's Instagram recent photos, 2) he's still listed on the team roster, 3) the school hasn't issued a press release or otherwise commented on his leaving the program, 4) the Detroit News and Detroit Free Press haven't ran an item confirming Jaleel's intent to transfer.


So are Chris Jenkins, Matthew Grant, Patrick Robinson, and Jarod Williams.

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:34 am
by Commissioner
NC Titan wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Not sure what if anything to make of the this, but: 1) from what I can tell, the "I'm leaving Detroit Mercy" meme appears to have been deleted from Hogan's Instagram recent photos, 2) he's still listed on the team roster, 3) the school hasn't issued a press release or otherwise commented on his leaving the program, 4) the Detroit News and Detroit Free Press haven't ran an item confirming Jaleel's intent to transfer.


So are Chris Jenkins, Matthew Grant, Patrick Robinson, and Jarod Williams.

Really? Cool. We may not need to sign anyone after all!! We can just relive last season.

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:41 am
by Rogobob77
NC Titan wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Not sure what if anything to make of the this, but: 1) from what I can tell, the "I'm leaving Detroit Mercy" meme appears to have been deleted from Hogan's Instagram recent photos, 2) he's still listed on the team roster, 3) the school hasn't issued a press release or otherwise commented on his leaving the program, 4) the Detroit News and Detroit Free Press haven't ran an item confirming Jaleel's intent to transfer.


So are Chris Jenkins, Matthew Grant, Patrick Robinson, and Jarod Williams.

Yeah, but none of those guys publicly announced that they had left the program. When the Bass separation was announced, my recollection is that he was deleted from the website roster fairly quickly. I think the most significant factor is that the Instagram announcement is no longer there, the other things added to the mix seem to possibly suggest that the severance may not be irreversible at this point in time. As I indicated, not sure what to make of this and perhaps in fact Hogan is gone for good.

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:44 am
by Commissioner
Stay a Titan Jaleel!

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:30 am
by Titan Jim
Commissioner wrote:Stay a Titan Jaleel!


+1

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:34 am
by udballer
Jaleel absolutely needs to be part of the team next season. Losing him puts us in an enormous hole right off the bat. How often do players transfer prior to their senior season without a coaching change? The fact that Jaleel didn't transfer prior to last season shows that he wants to be here...

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:54 pm
by uofdfan1983
Four players from the men's bball team and two from the womens team took in part of the 2nd game of today's softball DH with Valpo (we split today and are now 9-7 in conference). And one of those 4 was a certain undersized center sporting Titan sweatpants and looking relaxed and happy as he goofed with his classmates and accepted congrats from a wellwisher. I say: let it play out. He is a great guy and maybe this was just a moment of doubt that will wash away. Frankly, I cannot believe the negative vibes around here. We have a solid AD, solid coaches in most sports (people who are not just content with mediocrity). We are about to hear about 4 new players and 2 of them have been courted for a long time and as Commish points out, DID have other options. Personally, it will be so much fun to watch another PG son being coached by his dad around here. A dad who is a Titan Legend, by the way. A Winner. Working for a Winner, his former teammate. It is WAY too early to call Hogan a goner., yee of little faith. Jump on board, or jump off ship -- your choice. But if John Conway can get our softball team in the thick of it, then anything is possible. Be a Titan, or don't be a Titan. I choose to be a Titan. Always.

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:10 pm
by Titan Jim
Very well said, Tom!

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:20 pm
by titanmac
glad we salvaged one oft these from valpo. nice win. could easily be 11-7 had the green bay games been played.

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:20 pm
by The-Dude
Tacitus651 wrote:It's just a weird situation the more you think about it. An incoming senior deciding to transfer with one remaining year of eligibility is rare, as stated already. The reasons from an athletics POV are obvious. A player needs to sit out one year just to play one year thereafter. That alone is quite a personal sacrifice. For a coach considering taking a player, he needs to decide if burning two years of scholarship is worth one year of play. But then, look at it from an academics POV. Most universities require that you earn 60 of the 120 credit hours at their own institution to be awarded a degree. If Hogan has roughly 90 credits now and transfers, he will need to essentially take 60 more credits at his new school to be a full time student and earn his degree. That means he's retaking roughly 30 credits just to get out of Detroit. It's even weirder when you consider that Hogan is probably a professional caliber player. I assume he can play a few years overseas and enjoy being a professional basketball player (heck, Bruinsma has). By transferring, he's delaying that by one year.

All this leads me to think that there's something going on in this young man's life that tells him he absolutely needs to leave Detroit for whatever reason. Or, he really does NOT like BA. Or, he just LOVES Ray McCallum so much that he's willing to sit in a chair for one season, retake 30 credit hours, and delay his college graduation and his professional basketball career to play one season next to him. I'm not sure what is true, but I fear Hogan is getting bad advice from someone. I wish him well and hope all this works out for him somehow.


I pulling this back into the Hogan thread. I hope you don't mind Tacitus!

Has Hogan actually said he was transferring or just leaving?

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:38 pm
by Rogobob77
If you read Hogan's Instagram, he actually does say he plans to transfer and continue his collegiate career elsewhere:

"First off I would like to thank the University of Detroit Mercy for the opportunity to grow as a player, student and more importantly, as a man. The past three years here has been life changing and the relationships I've made here will last a lifetime. But after a lot of thought and prayer, my family and I have decided that it is in my best interest to transfer from Detroit Mercy and continue my collegiate career elsewhere. I wish the best of luck to Detroit Mercy in the future. I and to my teammates; I love you guys and will always consider you my brothers. I'm excited to see what God has in store for me."

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:59 pm
by TitanTerritory
uofdfan1983 wrote:Four players from the men's bball team and two from the womens team took in part of the 2nd game of today's softball DH with Valpo (we split today and are now 9-7 in conference). And one of those 4 was a certain undersized center sporting Titan sweatpants and looking relaxed and happy as he goofed with his classmates and accepted congrats from a wellwisher. I say: let it play out. He is a great guy and maybe this was just a moment of doubt that will wash away. Frankly, I cannot believe the negative vibes around here. We have a solid AD, solid coaches in most sports (people who are not just content with mediocrity). We are about to hear about 4 new players and 2 of them have been courted for a long time and as Commish points out, DID have other options. Personally, it will be so much fun to watch another PG son being coached by his dad around here. A dad who is a Titan Legend, by the way. A Winner. Working for a Winner, his former teammate. It is WAY too early to call Hogan a goner., yee of little faith. Jump on board, or jump off ship -- your choice. But if John Conway can get our softball team in the thick of it, then anything is possible. Be a Titan, or don't be a Titan. I choose to be a Titan. Always.


Tom, I love your post and I am with you 200% more! But please clarify: Jaleel was on the softball diamond yesterday? Enjoying himself, basking in it? Why would that be if he was leaving the program? School is out, if he really is transferring why would he still be around? And if he was transferring, why wouldn't the school he was going to announce it?

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:01 pm
by titandave
Rogobob77 wrote:If you read Hogan's Instagram, he actually does say he plans to transfer and continue his collegiate career elsewhere:

"First off I would like to thank the University of Detroit Mercy for the opportunity to grow as a player, student and more importantly, as a man. The past three years here has been life changing and the relationships I've made here will last a lifetime. But after a lot of thought and prayer, my family and I have decided that it is in my best interest to transfer from Detroit Mercy and continue my collegiate career elsewhere. I wish the best of luck to Detroit Mercy in the future. I and to my teammates; I love you guys and will always consider you my brothers. I'm excited to see what God has in store for me."

I'm wondering if Hogan is in a position academically where he can graduate from UDM after completing coursework this Summer. If that's the case and he's looking for a change in scenery then I certainly understand the attraction of transferring to a different school. Regarding what's best for him, I hope the outcome of his decision includes a college degree in the not too distant future.

Re: Hogan is leaving

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:30 pm
by ptctitan
At this point, I'm prepared to deal with either scenario. I hope he stays. But, in team sports, it's next man up - if he does not stay.

He's on the 2016-17 roster because he played the full year on that roster. The school has not yet released its roster for the 2017-18 season. Probably won't happen until June. BTW, you'll still find Bass on the roster for the 2015-16 season.

At the time that we were all focused on AFS remaining or going, the coach stated publicly that the staff was working hard with Jaleel during exam week to get him through those tests. Jaleel missed practices that week in order to study. As a result, he did not start in the Western Ky and the Fort Wayne games. Go back and watch the post-game press conferences. I think BA's comment on this issue is in one of them. Ergo, I'm thinking that upper class grades during this past year may have been a struggle for the young man. There could be many reasons for it - and those reasons are none of our business.

All I know is that on the court, he gave 100% or more each game under many challenging circumstances. And he appears to be a good young man. That's all that matters to me whatever happens. Sometimes things just don't work out despite the best efforts of all involved. And other times, a rabbit can actually be pulled out of a coach's hat for a positive result. So, I hope for the positive result and am prepared for the negative - with malice towards none.