Roschon Prince to Detroit

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Roschon Prince to Detroit

Postby TitanTarHeel » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:48 am

(tip of hat to PTC)

Appears Roschon Prince - a grad transfer from Long Beach State - will become a Titan. Besides PTC inside scoop, his personal twitter feed now lists him "University of Detroit #5", and there's a few other Detmer related tweets including his pairing up with Kam Chatman.

Verbal Commits has him now as a Titan http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/roschon-prince

He also tweeted "Detroit I'll see y'all in June #strictlybusiness" with a couple Detmer related pics including the new fancy, shiney logo, and is getting lots of congrats from friends/family. Here's his twitter --> https://twitter.com/5_RoP/with_replies

He was originally a 4-star recruit, and the #92 player by Rivals in the class of 2013. https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/15289

Story developing, but this looks like a really nice addition to the the 2017 class.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Re: Roschon Prince to Detroit

Postby HSScout1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:55 am

Bio:

http://www.longbeachstate.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/roschon_prince_915748.html

This past season he started 19 of 34 games averaging 25.8 min per game, 9.4 ppg and 6.9 rpg
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:17 am

Good pick up. He must have flew under Kampe's radar because no criminal record.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:23 am

Welcome to DETMER Nation RP. Let's show up and blow up Dude!
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:31 am

This is good news. He's more or less Jaleel's replacement for the year--an undersized, 6-6 power forward, but yery strong. He's not quite the scorer but is a better rebounder than Jaleel. Like Jaleel, he gets to the foul line a lot, but unlike Jaleel, he's a good foul shooter--76%. Not what I was expecting, but he'll help.

Welcome to the Titans, Roschon!
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:35 am

Best player in the class ... so far!

And as a grad, he can play right away. :D
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:00 am

Commissioner wrote:This is good news. He's more or less Jaleel's replacement for the year--an undersized, 6-6 power forward, but yery strong. He's not quite the scorer but is a better rebounder than Jaleel. Like Jaleel, he gets to the foul line a lot, but unlike Jaleel, he's a good foul shooter--76%. Not what I was expecting, but he'll help.

Welcome to the Titans, Roschon!

In light of Rogo's comments and some major question marks, I won't call him Jaleel's replacement just yet.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:04 am

The LBSU message board is not real active, but I did find some posts related to Prince's deciding to leave the Gauchos program, announced last month:

"Prince was a class act.

"Played hard, and improved his game (rebounding and FTs) - hate to see him go.

"6'6" and proved he could board in a crowd. IMO he was more steady than Levin, if not as athletic."
. . . .

"Prince was recovering from a serious knee injury. He's finally comfortable on it, and his progress showed with increased minutes after Levin went down. He's not bailing, he's at a crossroads, and didn't want to stay at LB. He got his degree. Good for him."
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:05 am

HSScout1 wrote:Bio:

http://www.longbeachstate.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/roschon_prince_915748.html

This past season he started 19 of 34 games averaging 25.8 min per game, 9.4 ppg and 6.9 rpg

In league play Avg 13.4/9.4
titanmike
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 am

Hope he doesn't freak the first time he sees snow.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby dtowntitan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:58 am

I am not sure he is a replacement for Jaleel. His high school highlights that I have seen he plays more like a wing. I am not sure how LBSU used him, outside of an interview where he talks about his focus being on rebounding.

Curious if Chatman was responsible for pulling him in or if this was a guy that Matt Grant knew from his playing days in Cali.
dtowntitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:21 am

At 6'6", 235 lbs, he fills an obvious need for us on the wing. He gives us size and strength there. Especially against all of the HL teams that play 3 guards or have a small forward who can shoot the 3 pointer.

He is also a strong rebounder who will not be knocked off his spot by too many HL players.

He looks a lot older than he is. Very important to me that amidst his transfer from USC to Long Beach, he remained diligent in the classroom and will graduate this year from LBSU.

Remember that this past season, we had no player who was 6'4", 6'5", or 6'6". In many games, Corey Allen was playing small forward.

During one of the radio shows earlier this year, BA said that he was looking for a grad transfer who would add immediate help and maturity to his line-up. I like this commitment because it fills an immediate need next year with a person who stepped up and became LBSU's leading rebounder in conference play when the starter went down with an injury.

Apparently, #5 is our designated California player jersey since that was Matt Grant's last year.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:43 am

Well, we couldn't ask for a much better pickup as a grad transfer... so that's good.

It would be nice to know if Jaleel is gone for sure so we could figure out if we are starting to look good at this point, or if we are still at a net-negative on the recruiting cycle.
udballer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:49 am

Roschon probably knows Cali well, including the Bay Area. He'll be an asset when our guys fly out to Oakland for those Grizzly games.

#MacaroniGrill
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:56 am

who's detmer? is detmer in california?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:09 am

Roschon welcome to Titan Nation!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:36 am

udballer wrote:Well, we couldn't ask for a much better pickup as a grad transfer... so that's good.

It would be nice to know if Jaleel is gone for sure so we could figure out if we are starting to look good at this point, or if we are still at a net-negative on the recruiting cycle.

Yeah, he looks like a guy who will be productive on the HL level. He should help out a lot. His stats, especially in conference play, are impressive.

Good start towards a good class. Welcome, Roschon.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:49 am

Good pick up to a very, very, disappointing recruiting cycle. I wonder if Roschon is related to Tayshaun Prince, I know Tayshaun is from Compton, CA. Must be quite a few Prince's in the L.A. area.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:53 am

It's a good start.. Need JJ and JB. and some imidate help in the front court.. and hell take a transfer.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:00 am

titanmac wrote:who's detmer? is detmer in california?

Mac, I see that you have yet to embrace our underground branding Dude :)
The-Dude
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball