Roschon Prince to Detroit

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Roschon Prince to Detroit

Postby kirky313 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:04 am

he plays just like Hogan. a very good rebounder. He's a 6-6 tank who rebounds well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPNsSi_m8a4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndumf_tdzrY
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:15 am

the transition is continuing. hate to see hogan go but i guess he didn't want to compete? in any event i don't think we should be surprised.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:20 am

He was not recruited to replace Hogan. He plays a different game than Jaleel.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:27 am

Plus, Hogan has not left the team.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:38 am

Pct watch the film, Dude check your DM's
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby dtowntitan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:48 am

All of the film I have seen on the kid, he plays more of a hybrid forward. He appeared to be a wing in high school and his body has filled out some so he is able to bang. He could be an asset in the HL in being able to guard multiple positions and rebound well, not sure on his offensive skillset.
dtowntitan
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:02 pm

wings shoot 3's.. Kid has not attempted a 3 in 2 years..
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby dtowntitan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:17 pm

kirky313 wrote:wings shoot 3's.. Kid has not attempted a 3 in 2 years..

I had not taken a look at his stats, so I was not sure of his offensive skillset. I was going simply off of his style of play.

You are correct though, if he isnt shooting the 3 he is not going to play on the wing, although we have had wings in the past who should not have been shooting 3s anyway.

Either way he seems to be a versatile player.

If we can pick up JJJ, Ballantyne and Greg E. That would make for a nice class.
dtowntitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:26 pm

sometimes i wonder what world some of you live in?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:49 pm

kirky - no need for the snark. You have misunderstood my point. I said that he fills a need for us on the wing and that he plays a different game than Hogan. Why do you always assume that every need is offense?

The need I identified is defense by a taller player that makes it more difficult for opponents to just shoot over us like they did last season. Also, his longer arms will reduce the success that many opponents had in reversing the ball against us because his length will cut down passing lanes and skip passes. And his width will make him a more effective rebounder as he proved last season at LBSU when he was asked to play that role after a mid-season injury to a starter. He can also be a more effective screener for shooters like Corey and Josh to get more open 3-point shots.

He can play on the blocks. He proved that last year. He has perimeter skills. He had them coming out of high school. Last year, his coach asked him to play inside.

In other words, he gives us a chance to go bigger without sacrificing so much quickness at the 3 that the opponent gains an advantage. All of this is not claiming that he is a proven D-1 long range shooter.

These skills make him a different type of player than Hogan - that's all.
Last edited by ptctitan on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titandave » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:05 pm

One line scouting report posted on verbal commits .... Roschon Prince has good physical tools and uses them well, particularly on the defensive end.
titandave
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:11 pm

titandave wrote:One line scouting report posted on verbal commits .... Roschon Prince has good physical tools and uses them well, particularly on the defensive end.

Ill take that, our defense has been atrocious for several years now.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:25 pm

titanmac wrote:sometimes i wonder what world some of you live in?

Detmer.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Welcome to Detroit, Mr. Prince. This looks to be a solid pick-up for next year. Glad he's going to be a Titan.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:51 pm

titanmac wrote:the transition is continuing. hate to see hogan go but i guess he didn't want to compete? in any event i don't think we should be surprised.

That's harsh. Jaleel did nothing but compete. I'm bummed as hell that he's apparently leaving. But if he is reconsidering or his circumstances have changed in a way that might let him remain a Titan, I'd hate for him to think that we think that he didn't want to compete. Jaleel Hogan, though he may have faults (like all of us do), is a good dude.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:00 pm

titanmac wrote:sometimes i wonder what world some of you live in?

It's colorful and sparkly, Mac. Full of rainbows, moose, only one boxing championship for each weight class, women's volleyball, undefeated Titan teams, a Macaroni Grill in every neighborhood...and unicorns. I kinda like it here. :D
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:49 am

good job mooseman. i expect imagination from you! that shot wasn't directed at you anyways! the commish does surprise me from time to time? detmer? hah! made me smile and the commish isn't typically a jog in the park. no offense commish. as for hogan it's time to man up. would love it if he stays. wish him well but won't miss him if he goes. there's always someone waiting in the wings. it is now and always will be about the program. be a titan! ---or don't.

ps. unified boxing champions. now there's a thought! btw youda loved the softball yesterday. two well played competitive games. somebody had to lose.
titanmac
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:21 pm

kirky313 wrote:Pct watch the film, Dude check your DM's

Kirky, check your DM Dude...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:24 pm

ptctitan wrote:kirky - no need for the snark. You have misunderstood my point. I said that he fills a need for us on the wing and that he plays a different game than Hogan. Why do you always assume that every need is offense?

The need I identified is defense by a taller player that makes it more difficult for opponents to just shoot over us like they did last season. Also, his longer arms will reduce the success that many opponents had in reversing the ball against us because his length will cut down passing lanes and skip passes. And his width will make him a more effective rebounder as he proved last season at LBSU when he was asked to play that role after a mid-season injury to a starter. He can also be a more effective screener for shooters like Corey and Josh to get more open 3-point shots.

He can play on the blocks. He proved that last year. He has perimeter skills. He had them coming out of high school. Last year, his coach asked him to play inside.

In other words, he gives us a chance to go bigger without sacrificing so much quickness at the 3 that the opponent gains an advantage. All of this is not claiming that he is a proven D-1 long range shooter.

These skills make him a different type of player than Hogan - that's all.

Was not trying to be snarky, did not fully understand you. All is good my friend.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Wed May 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Learning more about our new grad transfer, rogobob, his previous team was the 49ers of Long Beach State, not the Gauchos, which is the nickname of Cal State - Santa Barbara. If you listen at all to Jim Rome on radio (I don't anymore), you'll hear him mention UCSB as his alma mater from time to time. Too, it's a glorious place to visit what with mountains, the Pacific Ocean and golf courses all available to do on the same day, not to mention a charming downtown area. Another snippet - one of the years when PW had a pretty good team at UD we played the Gauchos in a 2 game tournament somewhere, either winning or losing in a very close game, I think.

Congrats, by the way, rogo, in ferreting out quite a considerable amount of material on the Wichita State situation, including possible MVC replacements, for the benefit of this forum's readers.
dennycrane
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball