Starting Line UP

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Starting Line UP

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:11 am

We still have questions on Hogan and the 4th Scholarship, which seems that player is visiting this week. If Hogan stays what does our starting line up look like? It seems we have height in the PF/C position with Prince, Hogan, Blackshear, Eichler, JB, Jones and Cole Long all being 6' 7 to 6'11. Chatman who is a G/F is 6'9 and is a threat from downtown. If you have on floor Prince, Chatman and Hogan that seems like a lot of rebounding capability, with Allen, McFolley, Chatman and JJJr threats from the 3, seems like we can play inside out on the offensive side and Chatman would be hard to guard being able to hit the three at 6' 9 over other guards! If Chatman shakes off the rust, JJJR and Prince are solid additions, we keep Hogan, Allen and McFolley do not regress it could be a solid season. That is a lot of ifs, also maybe someone else on the roster steps up, but I am cautiously optimistic.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Re: Staring Line UP

Postby titanmac » Tue May 02, 2017 10:01 am

blackshear c
hogan pf
prince sf
mcfolley pg
allen sg
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue May 02, 2017 10:04 am

uofdmik2008 wrote:We still have questions on Hogan and the 4th Scholarship, which seems that player is visiting this week. If Hogan stays what does our starting line up look like? It seems we have height in the PF/C position with Prince, Hogan, Blackshear, Eichler, JB, Jones and Cole Long all being 6' 7 to 6'11. Chatman who is a G/F is 6'9 and is a threat from downtown. If you have on floor Prince, Chatman and Hogan that seems like a lot of rebounding capability, with Allen, McFolley, Chatman and JJJr threats from the 3, seems like we can play inside out on the offensive side and Chatman would be hard to guard being able to hit the three at 6' 9 over other guards! If Chatman shakes off the rust, JJJR and Prince are solid additions, we keep Hogan, Allen and McFolley do not regress it could be a solid season. That is a lot of ifs, also maybe someone else on the roster steps up, but I am cautiously optimistic.

Would be nice to see:

PG: McFolley
SG: Allen
SF: Chatman
PF: Prince
C: Hogan

with better depth backing them up.

PG: Jackson, Black
SG:
SF: Ballantyne, Eichler
PF: Blackshear, Ballantyne, Eichler
C: Jones

Hoping that Greg E is the mystery recruit to fill out the class... but it certainly would've been nice to add another SG with some size. Someone maybe 6'4" or 6'5". Maybe someone that finished 3rd in Mr. Basketball and only lost 1 game in his HS career? My bad, he signed with WMU. ;)
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue May 02, 2017 10:05 am

titanmac wrote:blackshear c
hogan pf
prince sf
mcfolley pg
allen sg

How do you not have Chatman starting? He's about to put 16 ppg on the board.
udballer
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue May 02, 2017 10:25 am

I'm not penciling Hogan in until I hear something that he is coming back. So right now we have 11 scholarship players.

C:
Blackshear
Jones
Eichler

PF:
Prince
Ballantyne

SF:
Chatman
Long

SG:
Allen

PG:
McFolley
Jackson
Black

Interesting in that last year we had a surfeit of guards and no size. This year we'll have size but only one real shooting guard (depending on where Jackson plays). And although we have a couple of walk-on guards (Carter and Joubert), no one can count on another diamond in the rough like Patrick Robinson turned out to be. Hogan or GregE would change everything by shifting Ballantyne or Prince to SF and Long out to a possible SG -- range, size and as I recall a decent ball-handler. Not PG hands for sure, but OK with the ball in his hands. A pretty versatile group.

Horizon-wise, our league traditionally is guard-heavy, with a few big men always faring well because, well, not tremendous competition. So we would be the opposite team: a heavy big-guy rotation but a bit short on backcourt players. If we can show some perimeter defense with this size we could dominate inside.

Also, a pretty young group, overall. Two seniors (or three, depending on whether Jones gets another injury year), three (or four) juniors, three sophs, and two (and expecting a third) freshmen.
RIP Titan Reggie #DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurTurnOurCity #RememberTheTitans
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue May 02, 2017 10:40 am

i don't think we brought prince here for a year to sit on the bench. i assume chatman will get a lot of minutes. at either sf or pf more likely sf? i like to think blackshear keeps progressing for a big junior year and hogan can play at his natural position. if jones can give good minutes to spell blackshear this works for me. might help to limit hogan's foul trouble as well? seems we are suddenly blessed with bench strength. a "starting 8" in the words of st, perry.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue May 02, 2017 10:56 am

nct, i think we will see a lot more development from our players in this regime. i think we have coaches dedicated to teaching the game. i'm not certain about the talent level of the walkons, but watching players develop over four years is part of the fun. why shouldn't we expect big senior seasons? thats what its all about. i don't think patrick robnson was a fluke i think he was coachable and bought into what jackson, among others, was selling. all these guys are talented...the will to learn is the only limiting factor in my opinion.
titanmac
Senior

Postby titandave » Tue May 02, 2017 11:28 am

Assuming Jones is healthy and Hogan doesn't return; I think we're looking at an 8-man rotation along the lines of the following:

Backcount ... JJ Jr, Allen, & McFolley
Wing ... Chatman
Frontcount ... Jones, Prince, Blackshear, & Ballantyne

In this scenario, I would expect to see Allen, Chatman, and Prince play upwards of 30 minutes per game.
titandave
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue May 02, 2017 11:33 am

i really don't think hogan is going anywhere.
titanmac
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Tue May 02, 2017 11:36 am

First off, if we want to address the actual thread title, for my Staring Line UP I'd have to bring back the Fly Ball dogs. I know that my dog is undefeated once he locks in and looks at me. :D

The benefit of this deeper roster is that JJ Jr and Jack can be brought along slowly, and not need to put up 30 mins a night as newbies. They won't start their first year and will be able to come in as role guys for 15 - 25 mins a night (and more mins should they really be making a nice contribution out there). Assuming Hogan returns, our deeper roster also means that we won't need our big guns (Hogan, Josh, Allen) averaging 32+ mins a night and getting wore out as the season goes on.

Dare I say some optimism is returning to 6 & Livernois?!
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:37 am

titanmac wrote:i really don't think hogan is going anywhere.

I thought he might leave, but then 96 said he's gone for sure, which makes me rather confident he will stay.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue May 02, 2017 11:40 am

ummm. hey tth. lemmee tell you a secret. <hushed> flydogs blow. and this says nothing about whether i like dogs.
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue May 02, 2017 12:23 pm

titandave wrote:Assuming Jones is healthy and Hogan doesn't return; I think we're looking at an 8-man rotation along the lines of the following:

Wing ... Chatman

In this scenario, I would expect to see Allen, Chatman, and Prince play upwards of 30 minutes per game.

You have a lot of faith in freshmen. What if the fourth LOI is GregE?
NC Titan
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:56 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:First off, if we want to address the actual thread title, for my Staring Line UP I'd have to bring back the Fly Ball dogs. I know that my dog is undefeated once he locks in and looks at me. :D

The benefit of this deeper roster is that JJ Jr and Jack can be brought along slowly, and not need to put up 30 mins a night as newbies. They won't start their first year and will be able to come in as role guys for 15 - 25 mins a night (and more mins should they really be making a nice contribution out there). Assuming Hogan returns, our deeper roster also means that we won't need our big guns (Hogan, Josh, Allen) averaging 32+ mins a night and getting wore out as the season goes on.

Dare I say some optimism is returning to 6 & Livernois?!

Yikes, is there a way to fix the thread title? That what happens when you have bigly thumbs and small screen to type on, I miss my blackberry!
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Re: Starting Line UP

Postby titanmike » Tue May 02, 2017 1:57 pm

fixed
titanmike
Senior

Postby titandave » Tue May 02, 2017 2:22 pm

NC Titan wrote:
titandave wrote:Assuming Jones is healthy and Hogan doesn't return; I think we're looking at an 8-man rotation along the lines of the following:

Wing ... Chatman

You have a lot of faith in freshmen. What if the fourth LOI is GregE?

Indeed, I'm confident JJ Jr. and Ballantyne can contribute right off the bat .... I expect to see them playing upwards of 20 minutes per game.
titandave
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue May 02, 2017 2:36 pm

of course you do dave! :)
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue May 02, 2017 3:35 pm

I now estimate that the various starting line-ups above will produce 300 minutes of total playing time in a normal 200 minute game. ;)

IMO, do not underestimate the potential contributions of Eichler and Long next year. Their experience playing D-1 ball for us last season is worth a lot more than most all high school games.

Clearly, as a team, we have become bigger and faster regardless of whether Hogan returns for his senior year. Hopefully, he does return. And, hopefully, we become even bigger after this weekend's official visit. 8-) Any opponent thinking they will have a walk-over against the undersized and undermanned team of 2016-17 will have a rude awakening when they play us. Don't know how this will translate into W's next season; but we will likely play a much more physical brand of hoops from here forward.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue May 02, 2017 5:26 pm

I suspect the crux of our season is going to be whether we can play perimeter defense. We'll have enough big men to guard the rim, but if we can't guard against the 3's, well, there's no way we'll make it to the Final Four next year.
NC Titan
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:04 pm

NC Titan wrote:I suspect the crux of our season is going to be whether we can play perimeter defense. We'll have enough big men to guard the rim, but if we can't guard against the 3's, well, there's no way we'll make it to the Final Four next year.

Well, Ill be happy with the Elite Eight!
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball