2019 Recruiting thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

2019 Recruiting thread

Postby HSScout1 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:50 pm

I didn't see one previously started for 2019, so I figured it was time.

Today we offered Myron Gardner (his 1st offer), a 6'5" guard from Detroit Loyola.
HSScout1
Senior

Re: 2019 Recruiting thread

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat May 06, 2017 5:53 pm

I bet we can hit 100 pages before we sign a recruit.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat May 06, 2017 6:07 pm

Titans have reportedly also offered:

2★PG Jeremiah Francis (6-3 195) of Pickerington High School Central (Ohio)

2★PG Mark 'Rocket' Watts, Jr. (6-2 165) of Detroit, Old Redford Academy

2★SG Romeo Weems (6-6 180), from New Haven, MI
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat May 06, 2017 7:41 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Titans have reportedly also offered:

I have watched Francis and Weems play and both are very nice players. Weems is a lot more of a SF than a guard. Francis is a pass first guy who is in a really good program with a lot of very good players. They will be a lot more than 2* by the time they graduate and probably are 3* right now.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat May 06, 2017 8:50 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:

I have watched Francis and Weems play and both are very nice players. Weems is a lot more of a SF than a guard. Francis is a pass first guy who is in a really good program with a lot of very good players. They will be a lot more than 2* by the time they graduate and probably are 3* right now.

Of course, that's the problem, isn't it? The competition will be fierce. Ray made an effort to get to players of that quality early and offer them, but never succeeded except for his son. Detroit has not landed high school players of that calibre since the Vitale/Gaines era. If Bacari can get them to the Detroit, it will be a real tribute to him. Watts already has offers from Alabama, Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, Iowa, Marquette, Michigan State, Mississippi St., and Missouri. Weems already has offers from Creighton, Iowa, Michigan State, Missouri, and Ohio State. And Francis has offers from Nebraska, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia. The Titans, btw, have also offered Francis's teammate in the Class of '18, Adrian Nelson, a small forward. Pickerington, which is just down the road from where I live, probably will have 7 or 8 D-I players on their roster next year, and that's after sending the center from this year's team to North Carolina.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sun May 07, 2017 12:08 am

Commissioner wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:

Of course, that's the problem, isn't it? The competition will be fierce. Ray made an effort to get to players of that quality early and offer them, but never succeeded except for his son. Detroit has not landed high school players of that calibre since the Vitale/Gaines era. If Bacari can get them to the Detroit, it will be a real tribute to him. Watts already has offers from Alabama, Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, Iowa, Marquette, Michigan State, Mississippi St., and Missouri. Weems already has offers from Creighton, Iowa, Michigan State, Missouri, and Ohio State. And Francis has offers from Nebraska, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia. The Titans, btw, have also offered Francis's teammate in the Class of '18, Adrian Nelson, a small forward. Pickerington, which is just down the road from where I live, probably will have 7 or 8 D-I players on their roster next year, and that's after sending the center from this year's team to North Carolina.

I have a son who lives just east of Reynoldsberg. Have had the opportunity to see a couple of Pickerinton Central games in person. Commish are you close to Buckeye Lake?
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun May 07, 2017 7:04 am

13 miles fm Buckeye Lake, 20 from Pickerington.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun May 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Commish has places everywhere. Just ask Jerry Slocum.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:57 pm

We offered 6'3 Southfield Christian guard Harlond Beverly today.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:18 am

Earlier this week, Oakland offered 2019 UD Jesuit PG Julian Dozier. He probably is tracking to play somewhere above the HL (or comparable conference), but we still should get in the pursuit of him. He's undersized like JJJr but he has a knock down 3, has great vision for distributing the ball and is getting more and more comfortable taking it to the rim amongst the big fellas.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:57 am

I'd love to have a guy named "Rocket" on the team. ;)
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:54 am

HSScout1 wrote:We offered 6'3 Southfield Christian guard Harlond Beverly today.

Beverly played an excellent state semifinal this past season. He led the resistance against Whitens & Company and came up just short. I believe he had 5 triples, all of them big.
udballer
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:14 am

We offered both Jiovanni Miles a shooting guard from Novi and Tariq Shepherd a point guard from East English Village
HSScout1
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:27 pm

2019 big man Jalen Thomas of UDJ posted on twitter that he received an offer a few days ago. https://twitter.com/bigj25_/status/883766798407135234

He certainly has skills but is still growing comfortable into his height and long body. He seemed a bit more sure of himself this past season as a sophomore, granted he didn't see the court a ton as the Nigerian duo ate up alot of minutes. I can see a potential high ceiling on Jalen, and I'm sure so can the staff thus the offer. He will need to step for the Cubs this year so we should see alot from him and the Cubs should yet again be a top 10 team in the state.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:39 pm

Detroit Mercy has extended an offer to Ann Arbor Skyline combo guard Ryan Wade who tweeted "Truly Blessed to have received my third offer from the University of Detroit Mercy! #GoTitans"
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:47 pm

Verbal Commits reports that "2019 PG Jeremiah Francis (6-3, 195, 4 star) has trimmed his list, and removed Detroit from consideration."
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmike » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:34 am

I hear we may have offered 6’3 Guard Donovan Moore , West Bloomfield.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:50 pm

From a twitter post of 5 hours ago

"Head Coach BA from Detroit Mercy of the Horizon league was in to watch 19' Will Mfum this weekend he finished with a team high 15pts vs Newark!@spillerreport"
titanmike
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:15 am

Thought would bump this thread up with the latest news that was spilling into the 2018 thread.

Yesterday, following the catholic league finals victory, UD Jesuit guard Daniel Friday tweeted he had received an offer from UDM. Verbal Commits has accordingly updated it http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/detroit

Daniel also holds offers from MAC schools Central, Miami and Ken State.

I've seen him play a number of times. What I like most is that he's an athlete and he's a fierce competitor. Last year, he had to step in as a sophomore and play some minutes on the front line. He was a terrific infusion to the lineup. This season, he's shifted to the perimeter to play guard. UDJ has needed the ball handling help due to graduation and the surprise transfer of PG Julian Dozier (he holds a OU offer) to a prep school out west.

He's got some serious hops for a 6'4 guard. From a stand-still I've seen him collect a rebound and jump and dunk it. He had a giant 2 handed throw down yesterday in the win over DeLaSalle as he soared to the lane, and at least one other dunk on a putback rebound.

Steve Bell has Fields and teammate Jalen Thomas ranked #4 and 5 in the state for class of 2019. http://bankhoops.com/michigan-player-rankings/

We've also offered Thomas, and he holds an offer from Xavier among others. He still really is learning how to play with his size and consider him very much unpolished at this point, but has potential that has earned him interest and acclaim. He is a TON more raw skill wise than the past 2 big guys from UDJ (Ike Eke who is now at Marquette, and Greg E who is now at Illinois) when they were late in their junior years as he is now.

If I had to choose one, I'd take Friday as I love his compete level.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:50 am

TarHeel, your analysis is right on with regards to UofD's Friday and Thomas. They would be very welcome additions to the Titans, plus these two players have been well coached and know how to play strong team defense, something badly needed on this Titan team.

However, there are quite a few problems with the Titans that may motivate a player to choose another school. How many parents would be willing to allow their son to be coached by BA (Mr. SMD) and JJSr (my son is the star, remember that)? How many players would be willing to play on a team that has JJJr shooting most every shot, not dishing out assists and not playing defense? You can rest assured that these players know exactly what this coaching staff did to Corey Allen (Horizon League Freshman of the Year and 2nd best player on the team) this year by basically taking him out of the rotation so JJJr could be "the man". How many players would be willing to join a team that has been a complete disaster since the Titans brought on Vowles/BA/JJSr? How many players want to play in an empty Calihan Hall when they have more fans attending their high school games? How many players want to play in the Horizon League and be on the last place team in said league, let alone a team with a #308 RPI (and getting worse)?

That being said, BA/JJSr better start making offers to every kid on a high school team (even grade school) if they want to really land anyone (see Long & Eichler). The Titans are in trouble and the ship is sinking quickly.
Titans96
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball