2019 Recruiting thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2019 Recruiting thread

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:01 pm

I’m not saying I’m worried, I’m saying I will be if some good recruits aren’t committed within a few weeks. We had more spots to fill than nearly any other school and we still haven’t signed anyone. Not saying I expect the entire roster to be compete by early May, but I’d of thought we’d have secured at least 1 or 2 by now.

The only developments we’ve had this off season thus far are (1) Cole Long leaving the program, (2) being in the MGM tourney next year, and (3) SI leaking that coach wanted a new job.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue May 07, 2019 10:49 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I’m not saying I’m worried, I’m saying I will be if some good recruits aren’t committed within a few weeks. We had more spots to fill than nearly any other school and we still haven’t signed anyone. Not saying I expect the entire roster to be compete by early May, but I’d of thought we’d have secured at least 1 or 2 by now.

The only developments we’ve had this off season thus far are (1) Cole Long leaving the program, (2) being in the MGM tourney next year, and (3) SI leaking that coach wanted a new job.

As I said before. It is pretty hard to recruit if the entire country thinks you want to leave. i said Davis needed to make a statement which he didn't and so here we are. Someone said Davis didn't owe an explanation and he didn't but it would sure help recruiting.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed May 08, 2019 8:15 am

You're concerned about the fact that the players who have signed letters of intent with us so far have not communicated their decisions publicly via Twitter or other means. And then you're reading into this lack of public statements by these players, problems with recruiting. It is clear that Coach Davis wants to announce as many recruits as possible in one press release - like he did last year. The only difference last year was that some of the signees tweeted out their commitments before our official announcement. For example, Isiani, King and Hamrick were recruits who did not announce publicly their decisions to play for our Titans. Just like many of us have concerns about our privacy; so, too, do many players.

As one of our returning players said on Twitter late last month in response to some tweets from Titan fans, some of whom post on this board, "Don't worry about all that, just watch."
ptctitan
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Wed May 08, 2019 9:42 am

Hint: are you paying attention to the social media accounts of overseas recruits?
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:46 am

uofdfan1983 wrote:Hint: are you paying attention to the social media accounts of overseas recruits?

Am I personally tracking the twitter accounts of all foreign 18 year old basketball players? No.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby TitanONeill » Wed May 08, 2019 12:19 pm

What international players? More hints would be awesome.
TitanONeill
Senior

Postby titandave » Wed May 08, 2019 2:20 pm

Per Verbal Commits, we've made 4 scholarship offers to players at the Center/PF positions:

Levi Cook
    Joe Jones
    T.J. Wicks
    Madani Diarra
I'm thinking positive that we'll sign 2 of 4. :D
titandave
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed May 08, 2019 4:14 pm

titandave wrote:Per Verbal Commits, we've made 4 scholarship offers to players at the Center/PF positions:

Levi Cook
    Joe Jones
    T.J. Wicks
    Madani Diarra

Diara is visiting St. Louis this week. Hard to be optimistic.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:22 pm

Commissioner wrote:
titandave wrote:Per Verbal Commits, we've made 4 scholarship offers to players at the Center/PF positions:

Levi Cook
    Joe Jones
    T.J. Wicks
    Madani Diarra

Diara is visiting St. Louis this week. Hard to be optimistic.

Maybe St. Louis is just kicking the tires on Diara, they've already signed Saginaws Jimmy Bell, player who was mentioned on this board a couple of years ago.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:25 pm

TitanONeill wrote:What international players? More hints would be awesome.

Gosh, he narrowed it down to international. Just start researching all the college aged players in Afghanistan and work your way down to Zimbabwe. How many could there possibly be?
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:36 pm

Detroit Mercy MBB has been suspended from post-season play and practice time reduced due to the 2017-18 APR of 826 for that made the 4-year average 920 for that men's sport. UDM needed a 930 4-year average to not be sanctioned. Can't help recruiting, especially for grad transfers that would just be making a one-year stop.

School's statement:

"Detroit Mercy received notification from the NCAA earlier this week regarding the Academic Progress Rate for all of our athletic programs. The majority of Titan teams exceeded the national standard and were among the top of their respective conferences. However, the men's basketball program recorded a 920 score and fell short of the NCAA's minimum requirement of a 930 APR for the 2014-18 cohort.

“The academic success and well-being of Detroit Mercy student-athletes remain top priorities. The University has established new parameters to help us achieve academic and retention goals and developed a strong APR Improvement Plan. Part of this plan included the 2018 hiring of head coach Mike Davis to help solidify and build a stable foundation. In addition, the hiring of an Associate Athletic Director in Holly Kerstner will help increase the academic success of all student-athletes.

“Detroit Mercy believes in the dedicated leadership team for our athletic programs, which will work to increase APR scores and ensure student success on and off the court."
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:41 pm

I’ve decided to enter the fan transfer portal for 2019-2020. Forget this crap, I’m done.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Sun May 12, 2019 3:29 pm

ptctitan wrote:You're concerned about the fact that the players who have signed letters of intent with us so far have not communicated their decisions publicly via Twitter or other means."

Well, I'm concerned because a lack of anyone (players & UD) announcing it, it means they haven't signed to everyone else in the public eye. Given such bad news this week, it would make a huge amount of sense to announce those who have signed. The ban+ no announcements+ LSU= worst possible time for every Titan fan. Maybe they should start talking to the people in the Business School.
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon May 13, 2019 9:01 am

MotownTitan wrote: Well, I'm concerned because a lack of anyone (players & UD) announcing it, it means they haven't signed to everyone else in the public eye. Given such bad news this week, it would make a huge amount of sense to announce those who have signed. The ban+ no announcements+ LSU= worst possible time for every Titan fan. Maybe they should start talking to the people in the Business School.

I don't disagree with your thinking here. I'd prefer to have some information out there publicly. From any source. However, it is my understanding that the reason for the information blackout is Coach Davis. There are several possible reasons for this strategy including that we don't yet have many signings to announce. However, there are other possible reasons including: 1) how many players who declared for the NBA Draft and were not selected for camp decide to return to their schools and how many decide to transfer; 2) in turn, after that happens this week, how many new and better transfer opportunities does this make available to us; 3) if we are after overseas players, are there issues with their status that need resolution early before an NLI signing can be announced; and, 4) possible scheduling reasons if we have signed more good players, will we be less attractive as an opponent to power conference schools looking for some high percentage win chances now that their conference schedules are 20 games?

My guess is that it is a combination of all cited possible reasons. But Coach Davis will be at the Titan Club dinner on Friday. If you live in the area, go to the dinner and ask him. But be sure to report your findings here first! ;)
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titansfan313 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:24 am

How many scholarships do we have to give still? 5 or 6?
Titansfan313
Freshman

Postby HSScout1 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:56 am

Titansfan313 wrote:How many scholarships do we have to give still? 5 or 6?

If Davis is a walk on (as has been reported) and the previously reported walk on's remain as walk on's, the scholarship players that are eligible to return are:

Harrison Curry
Chris Brandon
Willy Isiani
Lamar Hamrick
Marquis Moore
Boe Nguidjol

Plus Jamail Pink signed during the early period.

So 7 on scholarship/6 remaining to give
HSScout1
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu May 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Latest from Verbal Commits.

•5/13/2019 - 2019 SG Deshawndre Washington (6-5, -, 2★) committed to Robert Morris.

•5/13/2019 - 2019 C Madani Diarra (6-10, 245, 2★) committed to Saint Louis.

•5/9/2019 - 2020 SG Griffin Yaklich (6-5, 185, 2★) has received an offer from Detroit
titanmike
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:30 pm

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:55 pm

Spoke to one of the assistants after tonight’s event. He said we have three commitments in addition to Pink. A 7-1 grad transfer, a 6-11 freshman, and another grad transfer. We had a 6-8 Belgium kid ready to sign but he backed out due to the APR issue. We hope to get at least two more commitments soon and look for the entire recruiting class to be wrapped up and announced in about two weeks.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:30 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Spoke to one of the assistants after tonight’s event. He said we have three commitments in addition to Pink. A 7-1 grad transfer, a 6-11 freshman, and another grad transfer. We had a 6-8 Belgium kid ready to sign but he backed out due to the APR issue. We hope to get at least two more commitments soon and look for the entire recruiting class to be wrapped up and announced in about two weeks.

FWIW, the Verbal Commits site shows that we offered a couple 6-10 players from the class of 2019 (TJ Wicks and Joe Jones), perhaps we’ve inked one of those prospects.

There is some speculation on the other message board suggesting that BJ Maxwell could be headed to Detroit, perhaps he’s the other grad transfer committed to the Titans. Maxwell is a big guard from Abilene Christian.
Rogobob77
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball