2019 Recruiting thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2019 Recruiting thread

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:53 pm

Has anything been mentioned with regard to Flint Beecher recruits? We have to tap that talent pool in Flint again.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/high ... 564232002/
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:15 pm

At today's Titan Luncheon, Coach Davis did not talk a whole lot about recruiting but did suggest signing a big man to anchor the zone defense would be a priority. In that regard, Verbal Commits reports a recent offer by Detroit to Joe Jones, 6-10, 220 lbs., from the Buffalo area. He is a two-star recruit also offered by Canisius, Robert Morris and Norfolk State. The Titans have also reportedly offered 7-1 Eric Rustin from Tennessee and 6-10 T.J. Wicks from Illinois.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:14 pm

JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:34 pm

Rustin looks really good. He tweeted in September that he had an offer from Santa Clara - I wonder if that offer is still open. Hopefully guys will line up soon to play with AD and join a program that has a high probability of going to NCAA tourneys in the near future.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:30 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Rustin looks really good. He tweeted in September that he had an offer from Santa Clara - I wonder if that offer is still open. Hopefully guys will line up soon to play with AD and join a program that has a high probability of going to NCAA tourneys in the near future.

We have a lot more than AD to play with. We have a very good freshman class with AD, Moore,Brandon,Bo and Willie plus we have some other nice players with experience coming back. We have talked about AD and Brandon a lot but I can see improvement in Moore and Bo and when they are in they are not a liability but contribute. I am still amazed at the talent we have considering how late the coaching staff got started and a job well done to the staff. We have a lot more than I expected and we should all be pleased with the results. I like the way Long is playing and I can see he has more confidence than in the past. Riley if you watch him closely does not make many errors when he is in and looks to be a leader. I like this team and look forward to seeing the 4-6 new additions. I feel we are not as weak in the bigs dept. as some have expressed and feel we do have some nice pieces in place. The student body seems to be getting more engaged and I hope more of our old faithful fans start to reappear.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:47 pm

All good points, UP. I don’t disagree with any of them, I’m just saying excellence often attracts excellence and AD is not only a good player but a good teammate (look at him not scoring the first 17 min of the last game, but instead making great passes, steals, and then taking the entire game over in the second half). We have more talent than AD, but a recruit for this incoming class probably sees him as the catalyst that gets him on an NCAA tourney team.

We need a big, and the bottom line is you can’t teach a guy to be 7 feet tall. A player like Rustin could make us very hard to beat in league play.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:53 pm

I agree with Tacitus. Yes, Brandon and the rest are fine players. But they are not going to attract recruits the way AD will.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:29 pm

I think our guys all look pretty good but then again we are winning and AD has so much to do with that! Let’s keep building around him!
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby titandave » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:16 pm

I'm hoping the 9 players that have remaining college eligibility return to UDM for the 2019-20 season; definitely a solid group with plenty of upside. :)

Backcourt: Riley, Hamrick, & Davis
Front Court: Long, Curry, Moore, Brandon, Isiani, & Njuidjol
titandave
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:37 pm

we could do pretty well with those nine. add 5 more that’s as talented as this freshman class and we will be ready when the nba comesc calling for ad. would be nice to have traditional 5 tho.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:07 pm

Any recruiting updates?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:24 pm

The other board has a lot more about recruiting.

Rustin is still uncommitted. I think we are his best offer, maybe with the exception of Miami (OH), unless he’s looking to stay close to home on the east coast.

I wonder if the staff wants to develop a young big out of HS or roll the dice and get the best we can on the grad-transfer market. Truth is we have enough scholarships to do both.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titandave » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:13 pm

UDM recently extended an offer to Levi Cook. As best as I can determine; he started his college career at DePaul (2016-17) then transferred to Marshall (2017-18) where he wasn't eligible due to transfer rules and is now enrolled and playing at Wabash Valley College in Mt Carmel, IL.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/levi-cook
titandave
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball