2019 Recruiting thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2019 Recruiting thread

Postby NC Titan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:54 am

Didn't Coach say that we would have new players signed by the end of March?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:01 am

LOIs can’t be signed until April 17.

I think Davis said he hoped to have a couple verbal commitments to announce by the end of March.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:41 am

NC Titan wrote:Didn't Coach say that we would have new players signed by the end of March?

No.

He said that he hoped to have 2 or 3 commitments by now.

He did not say that he hoped to announce these commitments by now. He did not say that he hoped to have some signed NLI's by now. He could have already received 2 or 3 verbal commitments.

Most, if not all, schools only announce NLI signings. As rogobob pointed out, NLI's can be signed no earlier than April 17th.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:09 pm

I’m not worried. Plenty of guys on the transfer market. Look at what Texas Tech has done with transfers. Coach is smart to wait it out a little and hold some scholarships open. I’m sure we will have a few NLIs on the 17th and maybe a nice couple surprises later in the spring.

Not interested in signing 2 star recruits that probably won’t even pan out by their senior year.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby 1975SHjoe » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:32 pm

Jaedon LeDee a 6'9" center from Ohio State is transferring. I bring up his name because he is from Houston, Tx. and possibly coach might have a connection with him.

FYI FWIW Joey Brunk is leaving Butler,
1975SHjoe
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:17 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I’m not worried. Plenty of guys on the transfer market. Look at what Texas Tech has done with transfers. Coach is smart to wait it out a little and hold some scholarships open. I’m sure we will have a few NLIs on the 17th and maybe a nice couple surprises later in the spring.

Not interested in signing 2 star recruits that probably won’t even pan out by their senior year.

I think a lot of the star ratings are by people who actually never see the player in person. Josh and Corey Allen were 2* This year in the NCAA we saw Murray States Morant, Belmont's Windler, Wisconsin's Trice and Iverson, we saw Northern Kentucky's McDonald, Tate and Sharpe. Where would TT be without Moretti or Odiase. I think the best player in our state is Carlos Johnson from Benton Harbor who is also a 2*. They are out there and good coaches will find them.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:05 pm

Good points, although McFolley signed very early and was eventually upgraded to a 3*, at least by rivals. I think others on this board suggested that Allen would have been upgraded had he not signed early as well. I’m not saying it’s true, just an argument I’ve heard made.

It looks like Johnson is class of 2020?

Maybe I’d be more excited about 2* recruits if they committed in October of their senior HS season. Are there any Michigan (or in TX where coach might have influence) 2* recruits left for this class that are honestly good investments? Sure, you reference a half dozen guys that eventually played above 2* level, but I could easily direct you to a few hundred 2* guys that never saw serious playing time or eventually left D1.

Moreover, the 2* recruits are even more unlikely to some in as freshmen and prove everyone wrong. We need guys that can play D1 ball this coming fall.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:36 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Good points, although McFolley signed very early and was eventually upgraded to a 3*, at least by rivals. I think others on this board suggested that Allen would have been upgraded had he not signed early as well. I’m not saying it’s true, just an argument I’ve heard made.

It looks like Johnson is class of 2020?

Maybe I’d be more excited about 2* recruits if they committed in October of their senior HS season. Are there any Michigan (or in TX where coach might have influence) 2* recruits left for this class that are honestly good investments? Sure, you reference a half dozen guys that eventually played above 2* level, but I could easily direct you to a few hundred 2* guys that never saw serious playing time or eventually left D1.

Moreover, the 2* recruits are even more unlikely to some in as freshmen and prove everyone wrong. We need guys that can play D1 ball this coming fall.

You can say the same thing about 3 stars. I knew Johnson is a Jr' but he still might be the best player in the state as a 2*. We are not going to get much more than 2* players with our attendance. We had one of the better players in the country this last year and couldn't get anybody in the seats. Its hard to recruit 3 and 4 * players when you have a 1* fan base.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:57 pm

I don’t argue with that point. I’m not saying we can land 3* or 4* HS guys. I’m saying we should sign the best four grad transfers that we can get and go for broke in 2019. Obviously we have more than four scholarships to give, so we will have some HS commits and some JUCOs too.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:13 pm

you guys are our worst enemies.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:37 pm

I really don't care how many stars some recruiting service gives to a high school player, a JUCO, or a transfer.

I trust this coaching staff's ability to evaluate the talent and the potential of the players they recruit. Cases in point, Marquis Moore, Boe Nguidjol, Chris Brandon, Derrien King, Wily Isiani, Harrison Curry. Even Darrell Riley, Jr. as a walk-on.

More importantly, over time, I trust this staff's ability to develop the talent that ends up on the roster. Quick study cases in point, Gerald Blackshear, Jr. and Marquis Moore.

The needs identified by Coach Davis in his public comments are obvious: a) a couple of big guys about 6'10"; b) more length on the wings; and c) another guard in addition to Jamal Pink, our November signee.

As to Butler's Brunk, the Indianapolis Star reports that Indiana U and Mississippi have already scheduled home visits with him. He is a grad transfer. I don't think he is looking to step down to a lower rated conference from the Big East.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:10 pm

Given the discussion above on how to build a competitive program, the comments of Texas Tech's head coach, Chris Beard, in this article are very interesting.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state-university/2019/04/02/experience-everything-texas-tech-red-raiders-rapid-rise/3343044002/

“It's always been a part of our plan, not just as Texas Tech, but other schools we've been at,” Beard said Monday on a Final Four teleconference call with reporters. “We basically just try to stay old. I'll never forget the night we got the Texas Tech job and we were sitting around thinking, OK, how are we going to win a game? Are we going to outcoach people? No. (Kansas coach) Bill Self, (Oklahoma’s) Lon Kruger, (West Virginia’s) Bob Huggins, all of them — that's not going to be our plan here.

“Are we just going to out-talent people? No, that's not our plan. Recruiting is improving, and we'd love to get to the point one day where we have four or five McDonald's All-Americans. But right now, that's not who we are. So, as we went down the list and tried to get an identity, one of the things we thought was trying to be old. I think experience is everything.”

As I understand it, our Coach Davis made similar comments at the February roundball luncheon about how he wants to recruit in order to help our team improve next season.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:48 pm

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:03 pm

ptctitan wrote:Given the discussion above on how to build a competitive program, the comments of Texas Tech's head coach, Chris Beard, in this article are very interesting.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state-university/2019/04/02/experience-everything-texas-tech-red-raiders-rapid-rise/3343044002/

“It's always been a part of our plan, not just as Texas Tech, but other schools we've been at,” Beard said Monday on a Final Four teleconference call with reporters. “We basically just try to stay old. I'll never forget the night we got the Texas Tech job and we were sitting around thinking, OK, how are we going to win a game? Are we going to outcoach people? No. (Kansas coach) Bill Self, (Oklahoma’s) Lon Kruger, (West Virginia’s) Bob Huggins, all of them — that's not going to be our plan here.

“Are we just going to out-talent people? No, that's not our plan. Recruiting is improving, and we'd love to get to the point one day where we have four or five McDonald's All-Americans. But right now, that's not who we are. So, as we went down the list and tried to get an identity, one of the things we thought was trying to be old. I think experience is everything.”

As I understand it, our Coach Davis made similar comments at the February roundball luncheon about how he wants to recruit in order to help our team improve next season.

Here's a post I did in the 2016-17 Horizon team previews that looked a little bit at team performance by age: http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net/post/6539.

An excerpt:
more experienced teams tend to finish at the top of the standings—on average, the most experienced team was much more likely to finish high in the standings than anybody else, never placing lower than 3rd in this small sample. After that, however, there seems to be very little relevance to age, except that really young teams did poorly (no team with less than 1.2 years average experience finished higher than 7th). And while the oldest team always did well, the other three regular season champs were 5th, 7th, and 9th on the experience scale.

Here are the Titans results:

2012: 3rd place, most experienced
2013: 2nd place, 2nd most experienced
2014: 7th place, 8th most experienced
2015: 6th place, 8th most experienced
2016: 6th place, 7th most experienced

And here is this year's final standings, with the team's rank in experience (most=1, least = 10) in parens. This is based on Ken Pom. Remember, though, that for experience KenPom simply uses class rank, weighted by playing time. So a guy who is a junior with two years of juco ball is more "experienced" than a guy who played 650 minutes of D1 ball last year as a freshman. Still, the rankings don't match up much this past season:

1. Wright State (3)
1. Northern Kentucky (7)
3. Oakland (8)
4. Green Bay (4)
4. UIC (6)
6. Youngstown State (9)
6. Detroit (5)
6. IUPUI (2)
9. Cleveland State (10)
10. Milwaukee (1)

Perhaps "continuity"-- the percentage of minutes from one year to the next--is a better measure. Here we have:
1. Wright State (2)
1. Northern Kentucky (5)
3. Oakland (10)
4. Green Bay (4)
4. UIC (1)
6. Youngstown State (7)
6. Detroit (9)
6. IUPUI (3)
9. Cleveland State (6)
10. Milwaukee (8)

Oakland's a bit flukey on this measure because they had three upper classmen playing this year who were all redshirted last year.

Anyway, there you go...
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:12 pm

I posted a link to an interview with President Garabaldi on the “General” section of this message board. Toward the end of the segment the discussion turns to Titan basketball. FWIW, Garabaldi says Davis plans to recruit six new athletes into the program and adds he is already aware of a couple of the guys coach has coming in.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:03 pm

Pittsburgh guard Malik Ellison is leaving the program, grad transfer. Wasn’t he on the Titans radar?
titanmike
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:08 pm

Aren’t there any guys a year younger than AD that played AAU ball with him that would make good recruits?
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:38 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Aren’t there any guys a year younger than AD that played AAU ball with him that would make good recruits?

Jamal Pink, our lone signed so far, played with AD in Houston. They are best friends, I hear. Pink is a point guard who probably will take some of the pressure off AD, and they know each other so that will also help. Here's hoping that Pink soon leads the HL in assists. :D
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titandave » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:11 pm

Anthony Masinton-Bonner is a graduate transfer that would be a nice addition to our roster. I've seen him play a number of times; excellent fundamentals, high basketball IQ, and from what I understand, he has a great work ethic.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/an ... ton-bonner
titandave
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:01 am

titanmike wrote:Pittsburgh guard Malik Ellison is leaving the program, grad transfer. Wasn’t he on the Titans radar?

No. This Malik Ellison is a 6-6, grad transfer shooting guard from Philadelphia. You're thinking of Malik Ellison, a 5-8 rising junior at Eastern Michigan. The Titans showed some interest in the latter but I don't believe made an offer.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball