2017-18 Roster

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby TitanTarHeel » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:32 am

I read this more like 83 and less like Sam (with all due respect of course MCS!)

If he wanted to be gone, I think he'd be gone. My take is that his grades were becoming an issue at UDM to stay eligible and perhaps he thought a change of schools could cure that -- when in reality, its not simply hand-waved away and cured by going to another school. He may have started to realize that, realize the prospect of starting over his life randomly in Alabama for a two year stint (without balling for the first of those) just wasn't a savory alternative to sticking around Michigan and his friends on the Titan squad.

Just my thought, and perhaps my rosy classes with how I want it to be the case rather than abject anger/disappointment with the program and just wanting out.
TitanTarHeel
Senior
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:51 pm

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby Motor City Sam » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:51 am

TitanTarHeel wrote:I read this more like 83 and less like Sam (with all due respect of course MCS!)

If he wanted to be gone, I think he'd be gone. My take is that his grades were becoming an issue at UDM to stay eligible and perhaps he thought a change of schools could cure that -- when in reality, its not simply hand-waved away and cured by going to another school. He may have started to realize that, realize the prospect of starting over his life randomly in Alabama for a two year stint (without balling for the first of those) just wasn't a savory alternative to sticking around Michigan and his friends on the Titan squad.

Just my thought, and perhaps my rosy classes with how I want it to be the case rather than abject anger/disappointment with the program and just wanting out.


You may very well be 100% correct, TTH. The glass is half full perspective could be right on point. Recent world and national events have darkened my overall mood so perhaps I'm being too cynical. In any case, I hope it all works out for Jaleel. He's been one of my favorite Titans.
Motor City Sam
Senior
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby titandave » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:19 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:Jaleel Hogan has stuff going on outside of basketball, and mostly on the academic side. He is a good guy, a really good guy. A trueTitan. If/when he suits up for his senior year, he will not be a problem. He will be an answer. He will not be someone wishing he was elsewhere. He will be a leader, a warrior and our best player. Worry about whether Jaleel is able to suit up and stay at U-D is certainly justified, but do not worry about what he will bring to the floor if he is back on the court for one final go-around.

Totally agree, if Jaleel stays at UDM and plays this season or redshirts and plays in the 2018-19 season .... he's our best player, team leader, and a true warrior. I like to think in terms of what's best for the student-athlete. In this case, remaining at UDM as a redshirt and focusing on academics appears to be a good option. Having transferred schools myself; there's definitely implications and adjustments required from an academic perspective.
titandave
Senior
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby titanmike » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:51 pm

Things change Sam, especially when you consider we were once 21 and probably confused about our own direction. What I heard yesterday is he is staying, if he suits up or not, I don't have anything on that yet.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby MotownTitan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:28 pm

It's pretty simple, if Hogan comes back, then someone else has to leave. So they are probably not posting the roster until they figure out who has to leave.
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby Commissioner » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:11 pm

MotownTitan wrote:It's pretty simple, if Hogan comes back, then someone else has to leave. So they are probably not posting the roster until they figure out who has to leave.

I don't think so.
Scholarship players:
Black
Prince
I. Jones
T. Jones
Chatman
McFolley
Blackshear
Allen
Eichler
Long
JJJ
Ballantyne

That's 12. Am I missing anyone on scholarship? If not, that would leave Jaleel's scholarship available.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4428
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby MotownTitan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:39 pm

Commissioner wrote:
MotownTitan wrote:It's pretty simple, if Hogan comes back, then someone else has to leave. So they are probably not posting the roster until they figure out who has to leave.

I don't think so.
Scholarship players:
Black
Prince
I. Jones
T. Jones
Chatman
McFolley
Blackshear
Allen
Eichler
Long
JJJ
Ballantyne

That's 12. Am I missing anyone on scholarship? If not, that would leave Jaleel's scholarship available.


well, kind of Commish.

We had a 4 page thread on Corey Mendez signing in May:

https://www.detroittitanhoops.com/phpBB ... 7&start=60

However, A quick check on Verbal Commits tonight (was updated since this morning):

https://verbalcommits.com/schools/detroit

That was the 13th before today.
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Here's what we know: The UAB board has no mention of Hogan as of late. He's clearly not enrolled down there. A reliable source on this board said Hogan was recently at a Detroit Mercy soccer game. Hogan's Twitter picture is him wearing a Titan uniform and the Twitter landscape is a picture of the Titan team.

My money is on Hogan playing for us again. When that will be is probably being worked out by Detroit Mercy and maybe NCAA.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 1420
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:04 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:
TitanTarHeel wrote:I read this more like 83 and less like Sam (with all due respect of course MCS!)

If he wanted to be gone, I think he'd be gone. My take is that his grades were becoming an issue at UDM to stay eligible and perhaps he thought a change of schools could cure that -- when in reality, its not simply hand-waved away and cured by going to another school. He may have started to realize that, realize the prospect of starting over his life randomly in Alabama for a two year stint (without balling for the first of those) just wasn't a savory alternative to sticking around Michigan and his friends on the Titan squad.

Just my thought, and perhaps my rosy classes with how I want it to be the case rather than abject anger/disappointment with the program and just wanting out.


You may very well be 100% correct, TTH. The glass is half full perspective could be right on point. Recent world and national events have darkened my overall mood so perhaps I'm being too cynical. In any case, I hope it all works out for Jaleel. He's been one of my favorite Titans.


He'll be back, me thinks. I agree with Tom's take on the Mooseyist Titan on the roster (fingers crossed).

Sam, it's been a rough stretch for the world and country and many folks on the forum. I agree. I struggle with cynicism and depression myself. Try to focus on the micro not the macro. Just hang in there, try to positively effect those whose paths you cross, and leave the rest to God. Not always easy, I'll admit. But you've always been pretty good at it. Peace.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3364
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby titandave » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:19 am

MotownTitan wrote:We had a 4 page thread on Corey Mendez signing in May:

https://www.detroittitanhoops.com/phpBB ... 7&start=60

However, A quick check on Verbal Commits tonight (was updated since this morning):

https://verbalcommits.com/schools/detroit

That was the 13th before today.

Does anyone know if Corey Mendez has enrolled at UDM and is attending classes?
titandave
Senior
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby HSScout1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:22 am

titandave wrote:
MotownTitan wrote:We had a 4 page thread on Corey Mendez signing in May:

https://www.detroittitanhoops.com/phpBB ... 7&start=60

However, A quick check on Verbal Commits tonight (was updated since this morning):

https://verbalcommits.com/schools/detroit

That was the 13th before today.

Does anyone know if Corey Mendez has enrolled at UDM and is attending classes?


He's committed to Elizabeth City State
HSScout1
Senior
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby ptctitan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:32 am

If there were no chance of Hogan being eligible to play in the 2017-18 season, then we would have recruited a replacement for that scholarship.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby dennycrane » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:48 am

As of maybe two days ago, the 2016-17 roster is still pictured on the school's website. Starting with that, 4 players (Jenkins, Williams, Grant, and Robinson) have completed their eligibility. One more, Foster, was dismissed early last season. Ten others, including Chatman, Jones and Joubert, who did not play last season, are returning. The status of Hogan, I believe, is the same as that of Grant one year ago, ie. ineligible at present but expected to return and he remains on scholarship.
dennycrane
Senior
 
Posts: 706
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:35 am

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby udballer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:24 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:
The-Dude wrote:I'm getting really nervous about those early season Div II & Div. III match-ups!!


People on this board keep talking about finding a replacement game for Marygrove, but Marygrove athletics always said they'd play out the fall semester. They are still playing soccer. Are they bothering playing a half season of hoops? I guess I assume not, like everyone else on this board.

If they do field a hoops team with 5 or 6 players, I really like our odds.


Don't be so sure about that. Word on the street is that Marygrove will be unveiling a 7-foot Icelandic recruit for their final season of basketball. Rumor is that he fell in love with the Marygrove program while on a recruiting trip to a nearby university. I wonder who this mystery man is? :D
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby udballer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:30 pm

HSScout1 wrote:He's committed to Elizabeth City State


Good. Perfect destination for him!
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Glad to see baller back on the board - and with some great zingers.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 1420
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby udballer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:32 am

Tacitus651 wrote:Glad to see baller back on the board - and with some great zingers.


Thanks. I've been out pounding the pavement. Knocking on doors. Doing my part to identify the next, great Titan basketball recruit who isn't already related to a member of the staff. ;)
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby StJoeUofD » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:11 pm

Maybe we are just looking at the problem upside down. Forget the players, let's just recruit coaches or wannabe coaches with kids with great genes. I think the recruiting limitations for coaches is probably much less stringent and certainly less monitored. I am reasonably sure that, as a private school, we have more flexibility than our state owned brethren on what is considered compensation.
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby NC Titan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:49 pm

Or maybe we should concentrate on recruiting kids whose parents are great coaches so that we have a pipeline for assistants. Yeah......
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2068
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby TitanTarHeel » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:09 pm

Bacari recently posted some photos of a team outing to volunteer at Meals On Wheels, for what its worth Jaleel wasn't in any of the photos. Then again, as its been noted he still has pictures of him in UD jersey on his profile and background.

Surely with classes started someone has seen him on campus and in class??
TitanTarHeel
Senior
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:51 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 9 guests