2017-18 Roster

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:40 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:Bacari recently posted some photos of a team outing to volunteer at Meals On Wheels, for what its worth Jaleel wasn't in any of the photos. Then again, as its been noted he still has pictures of him in UD jersey on his profile and background.

Surely with classes started someone has seen him on campus and in class??

Hogan was courtside during practice today, but not working out with the team. Assume it is a delicate situation with perhaps a need to keep things private at this stage. I know the University and MBB staff will do what is the best interest of all concerned.

Everybody else was working out and all appear to be in good shape. There was someone I didn't recognize on the team, a white guy with dark hair/brush cut, around 6'6", maybe 220 lbs. Assume he might be a walk-on prospect. Anyone know who he might be?
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:12 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
TitanTarHeel wrote:Bacari recently posted some photos of a team outing to volunteer at Meals On Wheels, for what its worth Jaleel wasn't in any of the photos. Then again, as its been noted he still has pictures of him in UD jersey on his profile and background.

Hogan was courtside during practice today, but not working out with the team. Assume it is a delicate situation with perhaps a need to keep things private at the stage. I know the University and MBB staff will do what is the best interest of all concerned.

Everybody else was working out and all appear to be in good shape. There was someone I didn't recognize on the team, a white guy with dark hair/brush cut, around 6'6", maybe 220 lbs. Assume he might be a walk-on prospect. Anyone know who he might be?

Did he have a sort of Icelandic look about him?
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:

Hogan was courtside during practice today, but not working out with the team. Assume it is a delicate situation with perhaps a need to keep things private at the stage. I know the University and MBB staff will do what is the best interest of all concerned.

Sounds like Titan Andrew... ;)
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:32 pm

Commissioner wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:

Did he have a sort of Icelandic look about him?

That was perfect. :D
udballer
Senior

Postby Titan Andrew » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:26 am

Motor City Sam wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:

Sounds like Titan Andrew... ;)

:) I'm all out of eligibility!
Titan Andrew
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:42 pm

BA tweets this afternoon: "Roster and staff updates coming soon. Stay tuned to detroittittans.com soon. #excitingthingsbrewing"
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:18 am

Hogan will be on it
titanmike
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:54 am

titanmike wrote:Hogan will be on it

Eligible?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:52 am

Stay tuned... :lol:
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:35 am

It turns out that Hogan was in the process of applying for Icelandic citizenship, which also created issues for the NCAA. Things are almost squared away. He was the mystery Icelandic recruit the entire time.

I'm happy for Jaleel, but we might lose him for a few games if he has duties for his new national team.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:32 pm

NC Titan wrote:
titanmike wrote:Hogan will be on it

Eligible?

From what I am hearing yes.
titanmike
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:26 pm

Here it is - No real surprises. 13 scholarship players (including Hogan) plus 3 walk ons. No new names that weren't previously revealed.

http://www.detroittitans.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:37 pm

HSScout1 wrote:Here it is - No real surprises. 13 scholarship players (including Hogan) plus 3 walk ons. No new names that weren't previously revealed.

Getting excited about the season!
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:59 pm

HSScout1 wrote:Here it is - No real surprises. 13 scholarship players (including Hogan) plus 3 walk ons. No new names that weren't previously revealed.

There is one new name: Musial Gjysma, transfer from Rochester (averaged 7+points, high of 21), must be a walk-on cuz all the scholarships are spoken for. Six-foot-six and 230 -- could be the mystery player Rogo noticed -- and a graduate of Sterling Heights HS, where he averaged 11 points, high of 29.

And, no, Gjysma is not an Icelandic name; southeastern Europe, most likely Albanian (according to Bing).
NC Titan
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:51 pm

NC Titan wrote:

There is one new name: Musial Gjysma, transfer from Rochester (averaged 7+points, high of 21), must be a walk-on cuz all the scholarships are spoken for. Six-foot-six and 230 -- could be the mystery player Rogo noticed -- and a graduate of Sterling Heights HS, where he averaged 11 points, high of 29.

And, no, Gjysma is not an Icelandic name; southeastern Europe, most likely Albanian (according to Bing).

That name was not on the roster when I made my original post. Maybe if we wait a little longer, another even more unbelievable and difficult to spell name will appear
HSScout1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Maybe Cole Long will start draining 3's now that his number is not 13.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:14 pm

It’s an interesting roster, if for no other reason that the versatility of the players. Quite a few can be comfortable at two positions.

Chatman, for instance, is listed at 6-foot-9 as guard/forward. A 6-foot-9 guard? Long is listed as a forward but played a lot of guard last season. Hogan is listed as forward but plays center on offense.

So if B.A. wanted a big line-up he could put Allen (6-3), Long (6-8), Chatman (6-9), Hogan (6-7) and Jones (6-11) or Eichler (7-0) on the floor. Sub in a few guys and it's a smaller but quicker team with Blackshear and McFolley and Jackson with Hogan and maybe Ballantyne and Prince.

A lot of opportunity for B.A. if he can be creative with the different players. And a big test for him. No excuses this season.
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:49 am

I am not ready to call this a 30-win season. Or even a 20-win season ... yet. And there are no excuses for the players or the coaches this year.

We have more depth ... even to the point that we have a walk-on with D-1 playing experience. It may take the non-conference season to learn which player combinations are productive and which are not. Hopefully the players play and the coaches coach with chips on their shoulders after last season. All have a lot to prove. I do have this sense that March-April of last year was the bottom of this transition. While this team will not progress in a straight line to excellence, I think this year the overall trend will be in that direction.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:02 am

With Hogan on the roster though and 17 able bodies to play it does seem as though we have one of the largest rosters in the HL, also wondering if addition of Hogan now puts us in the top 3 teams in the conference. It will be interesting to see how we use Hogan and Prince since it seems that they are similar players. We also should be able to run, with multiple players in each position, we should not have an issue with exhaustion. Maybe we will see more of that chaos defense now.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:44 am

ptctitan wrote:I am not ready to call this a 30-win season. Or even a 20-win season ... yet. And there are no excuses for the players or the coaches this year.

We have more depth ... even to the point that we have a walk-on with D-1 playing experience.

We will do well to get above .500, which would mean a minimum of 17 wins, more than doubling last season's total.

By a "walk-on with D-1 playing experience" do you mean Carter? I'm not sure that's any big deal. Lots of teams have walk-ons who play a few minutes and come back the next season. But I agree depth should not be an issue.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball