2017-18 Roster

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2017-18 Roster

Postby NC Titan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:52 pm

dennycrane wrote:I'm sure they will figure out a new number for this new fellow Musial. R.B. is correct that 45 was retired. For that matter, in Spence's days, players generally wore an even number at home (he wore 44) and one number higher on the road. But 44 is also retired (Terry Tyler). The highest number that I remember being used by any team was 55, usually reserved for a bulky center. Strange numbers such as 0,00, 72, 83, et al did not come into use in basketball until, I would say, the past 20 years or so.

This number practice -- nothing higher than 5 and 5 -- springs from a ref's need to be able to easily identify an offending fouler's number with his hands. For a foul on Haywood the ref would hold up four fingers and five fingers. Since very few refs have more than five fingers (that villain from "Princess Bride" would have been the exception) the rule was put in to limit player numbers.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titandave » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:16 pm

ptctitan wrote:The best way for Malik Eichler to develop is to play now. I think that he will graduate by the end of his 4th year here.

No doubt, playing time is a great way for a player to develop. However, with the front court additions to this year's squad; I don't see Eichler getting quality minutes.
titandave
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:37 am

titandave wrote:No doubt, playing time is a great way for a player to develop. However, with the front court additions to this year's squad; I don't see Eichler getting quality minutes.

If the 2017-18 Eichler does not improve over the 2016-17 Eichler, then I would agree. However, I expect players like him to improve and compete for more playing time.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:30 pm

NIce to see the entire roster ready and raring to go at today's Calihan Hall afternoon workout.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:30 pm

NC Titan wrote:
HSScout1 wrote:Here it is - No real surprises. 13 scholarship players (including Hogan) plus 3 walk ons. No new names that weren't previously revealed.

http://www.detroittitans.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

There is one new name: Musial Gjysma, transfer from Rochester (averaged 7+points, high of 21), must be a walk-on cuz all the scholarships are spoken for. Six-foot-six and 230 -- could be the mystery player Rogo noticed -- and a graduate of Sterling Heights HS, where he averaged 11 points, high of 29.

And, no, Gjysma is not an Icelandic name; southeastern Europe, most likely Albanian (according to Bing).

FYI, it's my understanding that Gjysma will just be a practice player this season. As he is moving up from NAIA to D-1 competition requires sitting out a year. No waiting period if it is the other way around, e.g., D-1 to NAIA, D-2, or D-3.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
NC Titan wrote:
HSScout1 wrote:Here it is - No real surprises. 13 scholarship players (including Hogan) plus 3 walk ons. No new names that weren't previously revealed.

http://www.detroittitans.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

There is one new name: Musial Gjysma, transfer from Rochester (averaged 7+points, high of 21), must be a walk-on cuz all the scholarships are spoken for. Six-foot-six and 230 -- could be the mystery player Rogo noticed -- and a graduate of Sterling Heights HS, where he averaged 11 points, high of 29.

And, no, Gjysma is not an Icelandic name; southeastern Europe, most likely Albanian (according to Bing).

FYI, it's my understanding that Gjysma will just be a practice player this season. As he is moving up from NAIA to D-1 competition requires sitting out a year. No waiting period if it is the other way around, e.g., D-1 to NAIA, D-2, or D-3.

We are a much deeper team even without him, we will see how it translates to W and Ls!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball