Marygrove halting undergrad programs

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Marygrove halting undergrad programs

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:35 pm

The Titans' November MBB game with Marygrove College might be jeopardy, Detroit News reports they're halting all undergrad programs:

http://detne.ws/2vOhyXE
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Marygrove halting undergrad programs

Postby TitanTarHeel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:24 pm

Noted this quote from Crain's story:
"Incoming and returning students have been notified. Marygrove officials will offer academic and financial counseling to help undergraduate students identify and transfer to institutions that offer their degree."

Admissions folks from UDM ought to be racing down 6 Mile right now to steer every one of those undergrads our way.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:03 pm

University of Detroit Mercy Marygrove?

FYI, Marygrove was in on the original consolidation talks circa 1990, but dropped out near the end of the process.

Hard to see them surviving as a strictly graduate programs institution.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Tony Paul of the Detroit News tweets: "Marygrove College's fall sports will continue as planned, and then the athletic department will be discontinued after that."
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Wow. Interesting that their enrollment peaked just 4 years ago; and that it has dropped by about 45% since then.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:52 pm

I like our odds of winning this game!

In all seriousness, I'm not shocked Marygrove is gripping with the reality of extreme financial problems. I am shocked they'd make such an announcement in early August. That's a huge disservice to their students, as they will panic to apply to schools and find housing in only a matter of weeks. I get that Marygrove is still offering fall classes, giving the kids a semester, and I get the board just finally agreed to this. But what an awful and $#i!!y thing to do to a bunch of young people. And I'll say this experiment of offering only graduate programs lasts at best a few years.

The joke about Detroit Mercy Marygrove aside, I could see positives of a merger someday. I'll leave out the issue of what the name of the new institution would be, but if UDM could grow enrollment and the neighborhood could improve, anyone with an imagination could see the possibilities. Of course, we don't really know what's under the hood at Marygrove. I've never been there, but I wouldn't be surprised if their buildings are falling apart and they're holding a ton of debt.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:03 pm

Marygrove's buildings are gorgeous and at least on the surface look to be in pristine condition.

I could see a merger with Detroit Mercy Law moving to the Marygrove campus, with the school selling off the Jefferson Avenue campus for top dollar. Marygrove also has a beautiful theater facility, something Detroit Mercy currently lacks.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:07 pm

I agree the merger makes some sense, the buildings are in ok shape, I was on campus recently. Not long ago they were doing well financially and had an endowment, they stopped publishing some of that 2 or 3 years ago. If hypothetically we were to merge and sell the Law Campus downtown and move to Marygrove the Law School and continue some of the graduate programs that they offer we could both benefit financially from that, especially with the price of real estate downtown, the Law Campus could fetch a good penny.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:23 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:I agree the merger makes some sense, the buildings are in ok shape, I was on campus recently. Not long ago they were doing well financially and had an endowment, they stopped publishing some of that 2 or 3 years ago. If hypothetically we were to merge and sell the Law Campus downtown and move to Marygrove the Law School and continue some of the graduate programs that they offer we could both benefit financially from that, especially with the price of real estate downtown, the Law Campus could fetch a good penny.

The law alumni will revolt and file suit against the university. Not joking.

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:06 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:
uofdmik2008 wrote:I agree the merger makes some sense, the buildings are in ok shape, I was on campus recently. Not long ago they were doing well financially and had an endowment, they stopped publishing some of that 2 or 3 years ago. If hypothetically we were to merge and sell the Law Campus downtown and move to Marygrove the Law School and continue some of the graduate programs that they offer we could both benefit financially from that, especially with the price of real estate downtown, the Law Campus could fetch a good penny.

The law alumni will revolt and file suit against the university. Not joking.

I understand the revolt part, but what legal standing would alumni have to bring suit?
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:38 pm

I don't really think it matters if they revolt, enrollment is down 30% in the law school, probably makes sense to bring them to McNichols regardless.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:11 pm

I think quite a few might find standing if they gave gifts to the law school in recent years. Specifically for the law school renovation, which was very nicely done actually. We could argue the university is violating those gift agreements. Believe me, we'd think of something to get around standing. And even if we eventually lost, we'd be powering our lawsuits for free and we'd make the university spend ungodly amounts on outside legal bills. It wouldn't be worth it for UDM to even try this. There were rumblings about moving the law school to 6 Mile years ago and that idea was shut down after law alumni went ballistic.

Also, respectfully, it doesn't make ANY sense to move law to 6 Mile. Nearly half the students are from out of state and want to live in the center of the city OR live in a nice suburb in the OC and commute downtown. No mid 20 something wants to live on 6 Mile and study law. Most importantly, the law school location gives students access to the courts and big law firms. That's a big deal. Also, I'm doubtful the joint degree students from Windsor would want to venture up to 6, and that's big revenue stream and attracts very smart students. Not to mention, where do you put a freaking law library on 6?! I get that most legal research is digital now, but not all of it. Law students actually use law libraries. Like A LOT. How are you going to construct a law library on 6 that can accommodate hundreds of students?

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Tacitus, you make several good points, and perhaps the law school's current location is the best way to go. But I can't see how donating money to a University would give someone legal standing to prevent a school's board of trustees the discretion to sell property if that was procedurally determined to be in the overall best interest of the institution.

Back to basketball, are we essentially 1-0 due to a forfeit victory over our neighborhood rivals? Is there time to find a replacement opponent at this late stage in the calendar?
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:37 pm

An easy place to look for a replacement opponent would be other schools on Marygrove's schedule. They did have a game at Robert Morris, and there are also several NAIA and D-2 schools that might be interested in a game with the Titans:

http://www.marygrovemustangs.com/SIDHelp/m/0/1/s.php

Rochester College might be a logical replacement. Local, some history of playing the Titans, also on Marygrove's schedule, and they are open for November 13, the date Detroit Mercy was slated to play the Mustangs.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Updated article from the Detroit Free Press:

"Students stunned by Marygrove's decision to drop undergrad program"

http://on.freep.com/2vQouUL
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:13 pm

We might not even need a merger. The more I think about it, Marygrove might be looking to sell its main campus, and I'd think we could get a great deal. If you're Marygrove and are switching to be a graduate only institution (primarily graduate education programs serving teachers), you certainly don't need that main building, dorms, and ground acreage. That's a lot to upkeep. Heck, if you're Marygrove, the best economic decision is probably to sell the main campus and buy a shuttered branch of one of the for-profit schools that closed shop recently. That might be Marygrove's one chance to survive: buy a small office type U of Phoenix building in a suburb that teachers can easily get to for night classes and deliver a decent product and work with K-12s to keep enrollment constant. Just some thoughts.

Here's the other side of that coin. What if they try to sell and we don't have interest? I can't think of any other potential buyers. A closed down campus probably would not be good for the hood. It would be a sweet venue for drug addicts and photographers into urban decay.

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:18 pm

UDM and Marygrove could merge, adding their graduate programs to our portfolio. But we'd have to change names again.

How does The Universities of Detroit sound?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:32 pm

NC Titan wrote:UDM and Marygrove could merge, adding their graduate programs to our portfolio. But we'd have to change names again.

That makes too much sense.

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Is it too late too schedule one of Marygrove's expected opponents? They'll be short a game, too. Find an open date, market it as a "Mystery U" opponent, and throw open the doors for free. Hand out concession vouchers, as well. It'll cost us a little, sure, but It might attract someone who, after attending for free, find that they like Titans basketball and come back as a paying customer. Probably can't be done because there's no end to thinking within the envelope but it would be unique and could attract some media attention.

No, I'm not high.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:55 pm

NC Titan wrote:UDM and Marygrove could merge, adding their graduate programs to our portfolio. But we'd have to change names again.

Would we be called U's of D?
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball