65 Great Moments at Calihan Hall

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 65 Great Moments at Calihan Hall

Postby Motor City Sam » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:04 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:
Motor City Sam wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Wednesday’s great moment in Calihan Hall history has the Titan WBB team winning the 1987 MCC Championship over Loyola.

Fun Fact: I dated two girls on that team. :-)

I just saw this post. Can't say I'm surprised. Sam's popular with the females. I remember watching one game with Sam and a girl sat in his lap pretty much the whole game.

I remember that game, Moose, and I remember her. She was special. I'd put that one high on my personal list of 65 great moments at Calihan.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:12 pm

Yes, she was a very charming young lady. Most tend to be at that stage.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:14 pm

On 12/5/60, John Morgan’s made free throws with five seconds remaining helped the Titans take down #6 Utah State by a score of 70-68, today's “#CalihanHall 65 Great Moments In 65 Days.”

This game ranked #20 on Commish’s list of historic Titan victories. He recalls the night:

“Detroit entered the 1960-61 season with high hopes, having made its first post-season appearance in the previous year’s NIT. Sixth ranked (UP) Utah State, a semi-finalist in the 1960 NIT after closing the season ranked 8th in the nation, provided an early test of the Titans abilities.

“The Titans were led by returning All-American Dave DeBusschere and his high-scoring running mate, Charlie North. But it was JC Transfer John Morgan, playing only his second major college game, who sealed the win. Morgan hit two free throws with 5 seconds remaining to give the Titans a 70-68 win over the 6th ranked Aggies, the Titans’ first win over a ranked club since defeating #15 Tulsa in the 1955-56 season, and first over a top 10 club since knocking off Oklahoma A&M in the final game of the 1951 season. DeBusschere led the Titans with 26 points, while North added 16 and Morgan 11.”
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:07 pm

It all started on 12/2/52 as the Titans opened the Memorial Building by beating Kalamazoo, 75-61, today’s “#CalihanHall 65 Great Moments In 65 Days.”
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:06 pm

I wonder if Roger J. Buysse attended the first game in Calihan; I wish I could ask him. He got his B.S. in '51 so he was working on his MBA ('55) when that first game was played. I also wonder how many games he attended there in total. In fact, it would be interesting to know which person has attended the most games in Calihan all-time. I always love the first home game, no matter the opponent. It signals another year of picking favorite players, trying to will them on, meeting old friends, and making new ones. We have lost so many of our best and most loyal Titan faithful in recent years. Tomorrow will be a bittersweet game for me. I will enjoy the pre-game, the game (hopefully) and the Titan Club afterwards, but it will probably not feel the same...I hope that Jaleel (Roger's favorite player) puts on a show for him, for Gene, for all the other Titan Faithful who have passed away in the last 12 months.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:25 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:I wonder if Roger J. Buysse attended the first game in Calihan; I wish I could ask him. He got his B.S. in '51 so he was working on his MBA ('55) when that first game was played. I also wonder how many games he attended there in total. In fact, it would be interesting to know which person has attended the most games in Calihan all-time. I always love the first home game, no matter the opponent. It signals another year of picking favorite players, trying to will them on, meeting old friends, and making new ones. We have lost so many of our best and most loyal Titan faithful in recent years. Tomorrow will be a bittersweet game for me. I will enjoy the pre-game, the game (hopefully) and the Titan Club afterwards, but it will probably not feel the same...I hope that Jaleel (Roger's favorite player) puts on a show for him, for Gene, for all the other Titan Faithful who have passed away in the last 12 months.

Yeah, Tom, I wish you could ask him, too. I really do. I'm just sorry. I hope to see you a lot this year. It's been a rough stretch for a lot of us and most certainly for you. It does get a little easier with some time but you probably don't want to hear that. Anyway, my best to you. Take care.

By the way, besides sharing Roger's birthday, Jaleel is my favorite player, too.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:53 am

uofdfan1983 wrote:In fact, it would be interesting to know which person has attended the most games in Calihan all-time.

Maybe Vito? He's the same '50s vintage as Roger and he's been to a lot of games, and not just at Calihan.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball