Street & Smith's picks for 2017-18 Horizon League

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Street & Smith's picks for 2017-18 Horizon League

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:54 pm

Street & Smith's basketball magazine is back on the rack, and sees the 2017-18 Horizon race this way:

1. Northern Kentucky
2. Oakland
3. UIC
4. Youngstown St.
5. Milwaukee
6. Cleveland St.
7. Wright St.
8. Green Bay
9. Detroit Mercy
10. IUPUI

All-League selections:

Dikembe Dixon (UIC), also HL top player
Martez Walker (OU)
Drew McDonald (NKU)
Vance Johnson (UWM), also HL top newcomer
Cameron Morse (YSU)
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Street & Smith's picks for 2017-18 Horizon League

Postby titandave » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Street & Smith's basketball magazine is back on the rack, and sees the 2017-18 Horizon race this way:

1. Northern Kentucky
2. Oakland
3. UIC
4. Youngstown St.
5. Milwaukee
6. Cleveland St.
7. Wright St.
8. Green Bay
9. Detroit Mercy
10. IUPUI

I'm surprised we're projected to finish 9th. We have a skilled and experienced starting five ..... McFolley, Allen, Chatman, Price, & Hogan and 3-4 very capable players (i.e. Blackshear, Jackson, Tariiq Jones, & Isaiah Jones) to round out the rotation.

Unless the teams projected to finish above us are a lot better than last season; Street & Smith has missed the mark on the Titans.
titandave
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:52 pm

S&S's brief write up on the Titans had Hogan as a defection to UAB, but a #9 slot still seems off to me.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:15 pm

titandave wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Street & Smith's basketball magazine is back on the rack, and sees the 2017-18 Horizon race this way:

1. Northern Kentucky
2. Oakland
3. UIC
4. Youngstown St.
5. Milwaukee
6. Cleveland St.
7. Wright St.
8. Green Bay
9. Detroit Mercy
10. IUPUI

I'm surprised we're projected to finish 9th. We have a skilled and experienced starting five ..... McFolley, Allen, Chatman, Price, & Hogan and 3-4 very capable players (i.e. Blackshear, Jackson, Tariiq Jones, & Isaiah Jones) to round out the rotation.

Unless the teams projected to finish above us are a lot better than last season; Street & Smith has missed the mark on the Titans.

Seriously?
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:03 pm

They're way off, I think.

IUPUI was 14-18, 7-9 in Summit, and loses its top 3 players in minutes, scoring, and assists (same 3 guys, and includes top rebounder, too).
Green Bay loses 8 of 9 rotation players.
Milwaukee has almost everyone back (they do lose their #2 scorer), but they did finish last a season ago.
Cleveland State loses its top two scorers and rebounders (same two guys). They've got some stuff to work with but, again, they finished behind us last year.
Wright State has one player--a walk on--who is taller than 6-4 and has ever played in a D-I basketball game.
Youngstown State returns 3 of 5 starters and 5 of its top 9 in minutes played. They've got Cameron Morse and a decent point guard and a couple of good freshmen. But they finished behind us last year and, after all, they are Youngstown State.

If we can't beat out at least 3 of those 6, we need to fire some people. I think 4th to 7th is realistic. Second/third may be possible if things break really well, 8th if the wheels come off (but they came off last year and we still finished 7th).
Last edited by Commissioner on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:14 pm

titandave wrote:I'm surprised we're projected to finish 9th. We have a skilled and experienced starting five ..... McFolley, Allen, Chatman, Price, & Hogan and 3-4 very capable players (i.e. Blackshear, Jackson, Tariiq Jones, & Isaiah Jones) to round out the rotation.

I'm not shocked that they would have low expectations. Yes, we have McFolley and Allen, two good guards. But we lost (when they wrote this) Hogan, our big player, and Jenkins. Incoming, Prince and both Joneses are unknowns, as is Jackson. Without Hogan, we lost more than we gained in proven production. With Hogan back and with expectations from some of the new guys, I side with Commish.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:11 pm

Seems kind of harsh.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:54 pm

I do not place much credence in any pre-season poll (good or bad) that still assumes that Hogan transferred to UAB. That said, the players and coaches have a lot to prove. Even Chatman is an unknown at this point.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:32 pm

S&S is way off on this one. Have no fear as the Titans are a 20-win team this year. Should be solid again next season as well. It's year 4 when we'll start to see how effective BA will be at building the program.

I don't see us finishing worse than 5th in the Horizon this year.
udballer
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:33 am

Oh are they full of crap! We will finish first and win the Tournament and go to the NCAAs. Street and Smith must be customers of that Professor up at Oakland.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:47 am

It appears that S&S simply ranked the teams according to which had the most important players returning. From their perspective, we lost Hogan and Jenkins, have no veteran big man, and did not play well last year.

Commissioner will provide us with very detailed and objective previews of each team when we get closer to the season tip-off.

One thing is interesting to me. By HL standards, we will have a big team inside and a small team at guard. The match-up's in the HL will be interesting. Can we go big and win? Or will we have to match-up against a bunch of 3-guard offenses? Can Blackshear and Jones establish a defensive presence in the paint similar to Odiase (I'd take 50% of Odiase's blocks and shot alterations)? Will our opponents still be able to shoot over our smaller guards? Especially at PG?

Lots of questions need answering. Overall, I am optimistic. But I can understand why S&S rated us so low. On the other hand, there is no team in the HL that is clearly unbeatable.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:34 am

ptctitan wrote:One thing is interesting to me. By HL standards, we will have a big team inside and a small team at guard. The match-up's in the HL will be interesting. Can we go big and win? Or will we have to match-up against a bunch of 3-guard offenses? Can Blackshear and Jones establish a defensive presence in the paint similar to Odiase (I'd take 50% of Odiase's blocks and shot alterations)? Will our opponents still be able to shoot over our smaller guards? Especially at PG?

I hope that our coaches will set the line-up depending on the opponent and then make the other team react to us.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:12 am

cory is 6'3" that doesn't strike me as a small guard? are they getting that much taller? mcfolly is listed as 6'1". not sure that he is?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:11 am

A little info about Street & Smith, which apparantly is replacing The Sporting News Preview/Yearbook:

" The company's name (Street & Smith) continued to be used on the sports pre-season preview magazines until 2007 when Advance division American City Business Journals acquired the Sporting News, originally The Sporting News, and merged Street & Smith's annuals into TSN's annuals. However, in 2017, American City Business Journals revived the Street & Smith name for its sports annuals."

And from Street & Smith's website:

"Sporting News is now Street & Smith’s—two powerful, tradition-rich authorities coming together to provide sports fans with the most in-depth preview yearbooks on the newsstand." - But for our sake, hopefully not the most accurate.
HSScout1
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball