Hoop Night in the D

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Hoop Night in the D

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Details on "Hoop Night in the D," set for October 20:

http://detroittitans.com/news/2017/9/28 ... ct-20.aspx
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Hoop Night in the D

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:21 pm

A few more details about Friday night's event:

Admission into the event is free and is set to begin at 7 p.m. The doors will open at 6 p.m. for a "Taste of Detroit," with the following local restaurants in attendance for the night with free samples of food and beverages:

•Dino's Lounge
•M-Brew
•Noni's Sherwood Grille
•1917 American Bistro
•Bucharest Grill
•Cornerstone Barrel House

Students and fans in attendance will be eligible to win prizes, including $200 in Visa gift cards. Both Titan basketball teams will take part in skills competitions, a 3-point contest and other scrimmages and games. A live DJ will also be in attendance for the event.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Really happy to see that the shield logo now says Detroit Mercy, and the red inbound area under the basket as well. If you're going to rebrand, actually do it. Still a banner on the wall for DetroitTitans.com, but at least we are moving in the right direction.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:31 pm

It's silly to move the website to a new url when the content of the website at the url contains the new logo and rebranding.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:02 pm

ptctitan wrote:It's silly to move the website to a new url when the content of the website at the url contains the new logo and rebranding.

FWIW, with my primary browser, I still get old logo and branding when I access the DetroitTitans.com website. If I use a different browser I get the new logo. I reported this issue about a year ago and was told they’re working on it.

As to the event, seemed a little better attended than in the past, more students. The Pistons had their mascot and a couple cheerleaders there, nice cross promotion. I liked that they used local restaurants for the free food provided, it was set up in the arena, court-side near the south endzone. The activities included contests with non-BB athletes, general students, a couple youth teams, etc., in addition to the MBB and WBB squads. The head coaches each gave a short pep talk. JJ Jr. was not there tonight, heard he was at a funeral. Couldn't really evaluate much, but I thought Prince looked athletic and sharp as he moved around the court, and Eichler looked much more mobile to me.

Was pleased to meet SacredHeartGreg for the first time, and also fun to chat with MotorCitySam, TitanMike and a few other message board guys.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:26 pm

Not on the home page for men's basketball. It says "Detroit Mercy."
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:08 pm

ptctitan wrote:Not on the home page for men's basketball. It says "Detroit Mercy."

Again, there are varying images displayed, it depends on what browser I use to access the website. With one of the browsers, it pulls the old logo brand images. I only have the problem on iPad and iPhone, not my PC. I reported the issue to three different people at the University, and they acknowledged the problem and indicated they would try to fix.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:18 am

bob - have you cleared the cache in your iPad browser? Not just the iPad itself, but the specific browser that is causing these images to pop-up. Also, maybe the website is reading your tablet as a mobile device.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:18 am

I thought Hoop Night in the D went well. It followed the usual format: Player introductions, comments from the coaches, performances from the Cheer and Dance teams, skills competition, three point shoot out featuring teams consisting of one men's player and one women's player, and a few minutes of a continuous fast break drill. There were some contests that attendees were able to compete in, and an abbreviated game featuring a girls teams from a local middle school. There was no dunk contest this year.

There wasn't much opportunity to get a feel for the players on either team. A duo featuring Corey Allen won the three point contest. Josh McFolley and his partner from the girls team came in second. Eichler looked bigger and seemed to move on the court better. Prince LOOKS like a legit player. Jack B is a big kid and looks like he has a nice shooting touch. Corey and Josh looked ready to drop twenty in a conference game. I was told that JJ Jr. was out of town for a funeral; he was not in attendance.

The Dancing Suit Wearing Guy was there, doing his thing. No tie tonight, but a full suit.

The crowd seemed slightly bigger than last year. There were more students in attendance and some of them were very enthusiastic. The Pep Band had a different director, but the same low level of pep. Unfortunately, there was no high school band taking part in this year's event.

Got to see my buddies RogoBob and Denny Crane. Saw Titan Ben from a distance and called to him, but he either didn't hear me or has gotten too cool to associate with me. After the event, I had the opportunity to talk to both Coach BA and Coach Scott. Both are optimistic.

Read more: http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net ... z4w9IIE0GM
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:25 am

ptctitan wrote:bob - have you cleared the cache in your iPad browser? Not just the iPad itself, but the specific browser that is causing these images to pop-up. Also, maybe the website is reading your tablet as a mobile device.

Don’t think that is the problem. It was an issue with my old iPhone, then I had the problem from day one when I bought my new iPhone. I get all the new content from the website, but it’s framed by the old temple that utilizes obsolete branding.

(I just went into settings to clear the Safari browser, that didn't fix the problem).
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Apple does make some cool things, but the Safari browser has been disappointing at times. Glad you were able to fix it.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:07 pm

ptctitan wrote:Apple does make some cool things, but the Safari browser has been disappointing at times. Glad you were able to fix it.

My bad ptctitan, I meant to type it DIDN'T fix the problem.

Let me try and restate the issue. When I use my iPhone or iPad to access DetroitTitan.com, it looks like I have to go through a preliminary screen before directed to the primary website. From the iPhone, this preliminary screen shows headlines for the three most recent Titan stories (previews, game reports, etc.) but nothing else. There is old branding ("Detroit Titans" logo) at the top of the display page, so it is the first thing I (and I assume others with iPhones) see when going to the site. There is a link with language that invites you to go to the full website, and if you click that you go to a page that has the new branding image.

Perhaps this preliminary pass through screen is the best system architecture to set things up, but it seems like there would be an easy way to replace the old logo with the new logo.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:39 pm

rogobob, I was finally able to replicate the issue. It happens on the mobile site that replies to a direct request from a known mobile device over a mobile network. Your iPad is a mobile device if it can connect via a mobile phone network directly. So, the administrator for the website needs to replace the logos on that site with the new ones. I think the solution for you would be to turn off the mobile network connection on your iPad and only connect through WiFi when safe to do so. Then, you would reach the main site instead of the mobile site.

I have noticed that the Athletic Department has let parts of its website become outdated. For example, the Titan Club and CAL Club pages and donor lists have not changed in 4 years. In your case, you are likely connecting to

http://www.detroittitans.com/mobile/index.aspx

instead of http://www.detroittitans.com/index.aspx

It is very easy to fix this issue at the university. It could take all of 5 minutes for someone to do so.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:21 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:I thought Hoop Night in the D went well. It followed the usual format: Player introductions, comments from the coaches, performances from the Cheer and Dance teams, skills competition, three point shoot out featuring teams consisting of one men's player and one women's player, and a few minutes of a continuous fast break drill. There were some contests that attendees were able to compete in, and an abbreviated game featuring a girls teams from a local middle school. There was no dunk contest this year.

There wasn't much opportunity to get a feel for the players on either team. A duo featuring Corey Allen won the three point contest. Josh McFolley and his partner from the girls team came in second. Eichler looked bigger and seemed to move on the court better. Prince LOOKS like a legit player. Jack B is a big kid and looks like he has a nice shooting touch. Corey and Josh looked ready to drop twenty in a conference game. I was told that JJ Jr. was out of town for a funeral; he was not in attendance.

The Dancing Suit Wearing Guy was there, doing his thing. No tie tonight, but a full suit.

The crowd seemed slightly bigger than last year. There were more students in attendance and some of them were very enthusiastic. The Pep Band had a different director, but the same low level of pep. Unfortunately, there was no high school band taking part in this year's event.

Got to see my buddies RogoBob and Denny Crane. Saw Titan Ben from a distance and called to him, but he either didn't hear me or has gotten too cool to associate with me. After the event, I had the opportunity to talk to both Coach BA and Coach Scott. Both are optimistic.

I agree, it seemed as if Prince was the best athlete on the floor. I don't think Ballantyne missed any of the three pointers I saw him take, he has a nice stroke. Jones still doesn't look healthy to me. It looks like Hogan is pretty close to 300lbs, Ballantyne is quite chunky also.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby TitanBen » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:41 pm

Sam, I would never miss an opportunity to chat with you. Didn't hear you. My hearing may have been impacted by the chicken shawarmas I woofed down before the event. Lol? You're way too cool for me to ignore.
TitanBen
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:20 am

Rogobob77 wrote:
ptctitan wrote:It's silly to move the website to a new url when the content of the website at the url contains the new logo and rebranding.

FWIW, with my primary browser, I still get old logo and branding when I access the DetroitTitans.com website. If I use a different browser I get the new logo. I reported this issue about a year ago and was told they’re working on it.

As to the event, seemed a little better attended than in the past, more students. The Pistons had their mascot and a couple cheerleaders there, nice cross promotion. I liked that they used local restaurants for the free food provided, it was set up in the arena, court-side near the south endzone. The activities included contests with non-BB athletes, general students, a couple youth teams, etc., in addition to the MBB and WBB squads. The head coaches each gave a short pep talk. JJ Jr. was not there tonight, heard he was at a funeral. Couldn't really evaluate much, but I thought Prince looked athletic and sharp as he moved around the court, and Eichler looked much more mobile to me.

Was pleased to meet SacredHeartGreg for the first time, and also fun to chat with MotorCitySam, TitanMike and a few other message board guys.

Only thing I will say on the students. The students at the event were primarily from the other sports teams. Would like to see more of a commitment from the general student body.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:38 am

R.B.J1 wrote:
Motor City Sam wrote:I thought Hoop Night in the D went well. It followed the usual format: Player introductions, comments from the coaches, performances from the Cheer and Dance teams, skills competition, three point shoot out featuring teams consisting of one men's player and one women's player, and a few minutes of a continuous fast break drill. There were some contests that attendees were able to compete in, and an abbreviated game featuring a girls teams from a local middle school. There was no dunk contest this year.

I agree, it seemed as if Prince was the best athlete on the floor. I don't think Ballantyne missed any of the three pointers I saw him take, he has a nice stroke. Jones still doesn't look healthy to me. It looks like Hogan is pretty close to 300lbs, Ballantyne is quite chunky also.

I'm glad you said that. My buddy Curt first noticed that Hogan looked quite a bit heavier than last season. That was my first time seeing Jack B, so I had no point of comparison, but he looks at least as big as the 250 I have seen listed for him.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:43 am

TitanBen wrote:Sam, I would never miss an opportunity to chat with you. Didn't hear you. My hearing may have been impacted by the chicken shawarmas I woofed down before the event. Lol? You're way too cool for me to ignore.

Funny, I had chicken schawarmas two nights later at the Bucharest Grill on Piquette after the Pistons season opener. :-) See you next time, my friend.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:54 am

R.B.J1 wrote:I agree, it seemed as if Prince was the best athlete on the floor. I don't think Ballantyne missed any of the three pointers I saw him take, he has a nice stroke. Jones still doesn't look healthy to me. It looks like Hogan is pretty close to 300lbs, Ballantyne is quite chunky also.

Can RBJ or anybody clarify the statement on Jones?
HSScout1
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:04 am

HSScout1 wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:I agree, it seemed as if Prince was the best athlete on the floor. I don't think Ballantyne missed any of the three pointers I saw him take, he has a nice stroke. Jones still doesn't look healthy to me. It looks like Hogan is pretty close to 300lbs, Ballantyne is quite chunky also.

Can RBJ or anybody clarify the statement on Jones?

He still had on a big knee brace!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball