Former Titan Patrick Robinson shooting hoops at Valpo

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Former Titan Patrick Robinson shooting hoops at Valpo

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:26 pm

Paul Oren, a reporter for NWTimes, posted this information in a series of tweets on Twitter today:

“Interesting @ValpoBasketball nugget. Patrick Robinson Jr., former @detroittitans player, is enrolled at school and practicing with Valpo.”

“Robinson Jr. doesn't currently have eligibility remaining, but NCAA grants five-year window. Robinson Jr. can practice with team this year.”

“Robinson Jr. played two years at Dakota College and then two at Detroit. His junior year (2015-16), he played just 15 minutes in seven games.”

“No clear timetable as to whether or not Robinson Jr. will, or even could, receive a waiver from NCAA to compete as walk-on in fifth year.”

“Robinson Jr. hails from Brampton, Ontario, giving Crusaders a third Canadian in the program along with seniors Max Joseph and Tevonn Walker.”

“Robinson Jr. led the @HorizonLeague in 3-point percentage last year, hitting at a 45.3 percent clip.”
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Former Titan Patrick Robinson shooting hoops at Valpo

Postby Commissioner » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:03 pm

A good trivia question there at the end: Who was the last Titan to lead the Horizon in three point shooting percentage? Patrick Robinson, who had just barely enough attempts in just barely enough games to do it last year. He was a great walk-on.

I see zero argument for Robinson getting a waiver to play another year, however. It's not because I dislike Robinson or harbor ill-will toward Valpo--it's just that you get a waiver because you were injured, not simply because you didn't play very much (though even if you are injured, part of the rule is that you cannot have played at all in the second half of the season, which Robinson did).
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:14 am

I very much agree with Commissioner that time lost to injury must be the only valid reason for an NCAA waiver to gain more eligibility. Simply not playing, for whatever reason, valid or frivolous, is not a reasonable criterion to apply for a waiver and, if such a reason is allowed at some point, that concept will quickly become a runaway freight train and there will be a torrent of requests. As seen recently, the NCAA has big problems doing the job it is supposed to do without taking on additional distractions.

As a sidelight, I seem to recall that Robinson did gain scholarship status at some point in his Titan career, after entering the program as a walk on. It's possible I'm mistaken.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:49 am

dennycrane wrote:As a sidelight, I seem to recall that Robinson did gain scholarship status at some point in his Titan career, after entering the program as a walk on. It's possible I'm mistaken.

I believe, Denny, that you are correct. At some point in his tenure (middle of his senior year, I think) Patrick was given scholarship status.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:48 pm

NC Titan wrote:
dennycrane wrote:As a sidelight, I seem to recall that Robinson did gain scholarship status at some point in his Titan career, after entering the program as a walk on. It's possible I'm mistaken.

I believe, Denny, that you are correct. At some point in his tenure (middle of his senior year, I think) Patrick was given scholarship status.

Agreed. He did gain his scholarship.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:49 pm

CB is working on Robinson's waiver application so he should be good-to-go soon.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:11 pm

JimmyChitwood wrote:CB is working on Robinson's waiver application so he should be good-to-go soon.

I refuse to believe this until Kirky confirms in a blogpost.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:00 pm

ain't final til hoopster says it is.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball