Titans MBB marketing & promotions schedule for 2017-18

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Titans MBB marketing & promotions schedule for 2017-18

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:25 am

The following is a promotion Oakland is offering their alumni for the upcoming game at Calihan. (Not sure if something similar is planned on our end for the return game in Rochester on February 9; in the past there have been such events.):

All Golden Grizzlies are needed in Detroit on January 20 to show #NoMercy to OU rivals, University of Detroit Mercy!

All alumni and friends are invited to a pre-game lunch gathering at Otus Supply in Ferndale followed by the OU vs. Detroit Mercy basketball game at Calihan Hall on the University of Detroit Mercy campus.

Pre-game lunch and game ticket is $25 per person.

Included in the price is a ticket to the men’s basketball game at Calihan Hall, lunch buffet, and non-alcoholic beverages.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 am

At least we will have bodies in Calihan I guess.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:39 pm

Saw several flyers on campus promoting a post-game "EDM Dance Party" for students following this Friday's tilt with Youngstown State, the music provided by Jack Lace and Juicy James. The festivities will commence at 9:00 PM in the Ed & Brooks Room of Calihan Hall, and free pizza will be provided. It will be interesting to see if this attracts a few more students to the game against the Penguins.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby bctitans1987 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:04 pm

Who cares about "promotions"? Clearly, no one! Plus, the AD couldn't sell water in the desert. Win and they will come. And, if they don't, there are other issues, i.e., conference competition, shitty areas, POS Calihan Hall, etc.

The staff, from the AD, coaches, administrators, managers, all the way down to the scorekeeper (Billy J. -- useless in every way) are second-rate.

Close-down the program or hire competent people. It's that simple.
bctitans1987
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:40 pm

bctitans1987 wrote:Who cares about "promotions"? Clearly, no one! Plus, the AD couldn't sell water in the desert. Win and they will come. And, if they don't, there are other issues, i.e., conference competition, shitty areas, POS Calihan Hall, etc.

The staff, from the AD, coaches, administrators, managers, all the way down to the scorekeeper (Billy J. -- useless in every way) are second-rate.

Close-down the program or hire competent people. It's that simple.

Some people do care, me for one. This thread has almost 1400 views, so perhaps a couple others. Marketing may be only a small part of the equation, but it most certainly impacts attendance to some extent (in both winning and losing programs). I was a student during the Vitale-era, and I can attest that a lot of the success of initiating and maintaining interest in the Titan program back then was due to a combination of progressive success on the court and Dick's marketing genius. If you have no interest in the topic, why do you bother reading and responding to the thread? Do you find it troubling that people have the audacity to be interested in different things than yourself, and that some don't feel compelled to be completely negative about absolutely everything?
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:39 pm

I've been on many different sports message boards over the years, and I have NEVER EVER seen the scorekeeper blasted for being 'useless' lol. You read alot of things and alot of garbage talk on message boards but this is a new one. Points for creativity.

BCT has taken the lead in 'board member feeling most personally scorned by the sorry current state of the Titans'. 96 has been mixing in some hoops commentary with his last half dozen posts further cementing the passing of the baton.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby bctitans1987 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:26 pm

Provide me with one game in the last 25 years where there was NOT a scoreboard issue. Please, I would like to know. The one constant is the guy running the clock. Definition of insanity: Doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result.

Do you people realize that your team lost to Wayne State? Twice in the last two seasons! Titans are a D3 program--at best--and it's run about as well as the City of Pontiac (currently in receivership).

It's a clown-show all the way around.

Do you want me to start documenting more specifics around the disaster that is the AD?
bctitans1987
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:40 pm

"Do you want me to start documenting more specifics around the disaster that is the AD?"

Not right now, but perhaps around 9:10pm tonight if I'm pissed off. Hopefully that won't be the case.

bc, I'm curious. You say "your" team. Are you an alum? I don't mind you critiquing the program or school because God knows I do plenty of that myself. I just have a hard time believing you want us to win. Also, I do shake my head in agreement when I read some of your posts. But, you need to stop the JJ and Vowels are BFFs and they are sabotaging BA. That reduces your credibility by a lot. If Vowels really wanted to hire JJ as HC he could have done so.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:05 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:All alumni and friends are invited to a pre-game lunch gathering at Otus Supply in Ferndale followed by the

Not exactly planning on "slumming it", are they? This will actually be a pretty nice step up as compared to those raucous & rowdy Saturday nights at the Macaroni Grill.
udballer
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:36 pm

Back on topic, a 20-year reunion of the 1997-98 team is the promotion scheduled for the Oakland game, a mere ten days away. We had a lot going on for the 40th reunion of the 1976-77 team last year including a nice banquet event, but haven't seen any real publicity for what might take place on Saturday, January 20. Spotted Perry Watson at the LCA game against Michigan, hopefully he will be at this year's reunion.

Tonight is billed as "Greek Life Night."

This past weekend's home stand was suppose to have included promotional components for "Alumni Dance Team" and "Dance Team Mini-Clinic" but I didn't see anything apparent to suggest those happened. "Motown Night" was essentially Motown recorded songs at timeouts and a couple of related trivia contests.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:59 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:"Do you want me to start documenting more specifics around the disaster that is the AD?"
But, you need to stop the JJ and Vowels are BFFs and they are sabotaging BA. That reduces your credibility by a lot. If Vowels really wanted to hire JJ as HC he could have done so.

Tacitus, can you explain why our marvelous AD hired JJSr and told Ray that he had to have him as his assistant? Ray surely didn’t want JJSr and neither did most of the candidates who were considered for the job after Ray was fired by our marvelous AD.

You need to explain that so you stop “reducing your credibility”!
Titans96
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Titans96 wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:"Do you want me to start documenting more specifics around the disaster that is the AD?"
But, you need to stop the JJ and Vowels are BFFs and they are sabotaging BA. That reduces your credibility by a lot. If Vowels really wanted to hire JJ as HC he could have done so.

Tacitus, can you explain why our marvelous AD hired JJSr and told Ray that he had to have him as his assistant? Ray surely didn’t want JJSr and neither did most of the candidates who were considered for the job after Ray was fired by our marvelous AD.

You need to explain that so you stop “reducing your credibility”!

You can't prove that Vowels forced Ray to hire JJ. Even IF he did, it's not unethical or completely uncommon for a superior to force the hire of someone down the org chart. WHY would he do it (in theory). Maybe because JJ is an alum who played in the f*<£ing NBA, coached local HS kids (giving him a great view of the recruiting landscape) and, yes, was the father of a very good HS player that would get recruited nationally. All of that makes total sense to me.

Here's the one thing to poke a hole in your conspiracy theory. Can you tell me WHY Vowels didn't just hire JJ two years ago? Plenty of people on this board thought JJ would have been a great choice. Vowels could have hired JJ without basketball experts scratching their heads. But, no, you're submitting that Vowels hired BA with the intention of sabotaging his early seasons and thus clearing a path for JJ to THEN become coach. Sorry, doesn't add up to me.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:26 am

^ Still waiting for an answer on this 96...
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:30 am

Let's just say I have personally spoken to multiple sources inside, formerly inside and outside the University. I have no idea why our marvelous AD chose to force JJSr onto his staff (past and present), but I know for certain that he did.

This is clearly a "what not to do" in every management book known to man, but I guess our marvelous AD is much more knowledgeable about running a successful athletic department and successful athletic programs at a D1 university. Just note the success he has had with the mens and womens basketball programs at UDM.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:05 am

Why did he NOT hire JJ two years ago if he likes him so much?
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:23 pm

From my Facebook feed, info about the next home game:

The Detroit Mercy men's basketball team hosts rival Oakland on Saturday, Jan. 20 inside historic Calihan Hall.

Tip-off is set for 4 PM, following the women's game vs. Milwaukee at 1 PM. Both games will be a "Red Out" with the first 2,000 fans receiving a FREE Go Titans Rally Towel.

The 1998 men's basketball that beat St. John's in the NCAA Tournament will also be honored during halftime of the men's game.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:20 am

,hopefully a win vs iupui and a 3 game win streak drive more fans in for this game, let's make it a loud place to support our titans against OU, would be nice to beat them on our home floor!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:48 am

On last Monday’s Titan Coaches radio show, it was mentioned that Jeremiah Hergott was leaving his position as Director of Athletic Marketing & Promotions. He is moving on to a similar position with the local United Shores Professional Baseball League.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:46 pm

I was just about to post on this, he's gone and his assistant left a few weeks prior.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:55 pm

I'm just glad they pulled off that epic mascot get-together before they left town.
Tacitus651
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball