All Time Titan Transfer Team

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

All Time Titan Transfer Team

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:04 pm

I'm not sure if someone made this thread before, I did a search and couldn't find one. We've had some good players transfer into our program throughout the years, here is my all titan transfer team.

C-Spencer Haywood
F-Eli Holman
F-Thomas Kennedy
G-Tony Tolbert
G-Greg Grays

Honorable Mention: Derrick Hayes, Brian Alexander, Bacari Alexander, Eli Warren, Nick Minnerath
R.B.J1
Senior

Re: All Time Titan Transfer Team

Postby Commissioner » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Some others worthy of mention
Earl Cureton - I assume folks remember Earl the Twirl. Transferred from Robt. Morris.
Lee Knorek - In 1943 posted second highest season point total in Titan history, to that time, trailing only Bob Calihan. Played in first ever NBA Game. Member of Titan Hall. Started at DeSales College in Toledo (now defunct).
Gino Sovran - Leading scorer on 1946 team-started at Assumption.
Sam Fortino - Leading scorer on the 1947 team. Bacari mentioned on the Coach's show the other night that Roschon Prince might be our first Grad Transfer ever. That's probably right, in the modern sense. But Sam played for the Titans while attending the Dental School. Before that, he was Michigan State's leading scorer in 1946.
Juwan Howard, Jr. - remember, JH2 was a two-time All-Horizon player (admittedly, second team).
Last edited by Commissioner on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:51 pm

How about Greg Wendt who transferred from Duke and hit the game winner at the buzzer versus Dayton in Calihan Hall in 1985 or 1986? He averaged 14.8 PPG and 7 rebounds.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:59 pm

I personally liked what James Theus brought to the table.
udballer
Senior

Postby Titan Andrew » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:25 pm

Brandon Cotton put together a few very good years
Titan Andrew
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:25 am

There is this other guy who transferred from Bob Morris, you guys might have heard of him, Bacari Alexander or something like that he was a decent player I heard for us for a decent team in the late 90s, not sure if the name rings a bell or what he is up to these days, heard he might be a head coach!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:24 pm

Corey Mendez would have made this list.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:23 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Corey Mendez would have made this list.

You're right. He'd be here too... if it wasn't for me badmouthing him on this very website.
udballer
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:40 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Corey Mendez would have made this list.

We could have had an almost-all Cor(e)y team with Corey Mendez, Corey Allen and Cory Hightower. :lol:
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:22 pm

Commissioner wrote:Some others worthy of mention
Earl Cureton - I assume folks remember Earl the Twirl. Transferred from Robt. Morris.
Lee Knorek - In 1943 posted second highest season point total in Titan history, to that time, trailing only Bob Calihan. Played in first ever NBA Game. Member of Titan Hall. Started at DeSales College in Toledo (now defunct).
Gino Sovran - Leading scorer on 1946 team-started at Assumption.
Sam Fortino - Leading scorer on the 1947 team. Bacari mentioned on the Coach's show the other night that Roschon Prince might be our first Grad Transfer ever. That's probably right, in the modern sense. But Sam played for the Titans while attending the Dental School. Before that, he was Michigan State's leading scorer in 1946.
Juwan Howard, Jr. - remember, JH2 was a two-time All-Horizon player (admittedly, second team).

I forgot about Earl Cureton and Desmond Ferguson. I am changing my team. Eli Holman and Thomas Kennedy are now added to the honorable mention list. This is my new transfer team.

C-Spencer Haywood
F-Earl Cureton
F-Desmond Ferguson
G-Tony Tolbert
G-Greg Grays

Honorable Mention: Derrick Hayes, Brian Alexander, Bacari Alexander, Eli Warren, Nick Minnerath, Eli Holman, Thomas Kennedy
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:20 am

oh wow. tough when you can't find a place for minnerath.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:58 am

R.B.J1 wrote:Honorable Mention: Derrick Hayes, Brian Alexander, Bacari Alexander, Eli Warren, Nick Minnerath, Eli Holman, Thomas Kennedy

D. Hayes was the man on the basketball court. Having his name so close to Bacari's kind of sullies this Honorable Mention. Maybe Hayes and Minnerath deserve their own Special Mention category? :D
udballer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:08 am

Best All Time Coach's Kids Team?

PG - McCallum Jr.
G - Jackson Jr
Chatman
The other Chatman?
Need a 5th?

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:25 am

Tacitus651 wrote:Best All Time Coach's Kids Team?

PG - McCallum Jr.
G - Jackson Jr
Chatman
The other Chatman?
Need a 5th?

The young Calihan lad?
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:30 am

udballer wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:Honorable Mention: Derrick Hayes, Brian Alexander, Bacari Alexander, Eli Warren, Nick Minnerath, Eli Holman, Thomas Kennedy

D. Hayes was the man on the basketball court. Having his name so close to Bacari's kind of sullies this Honorable Mention. Maybe Hayes and Minnerath deserve their own Special Mention category? :D

The answer is to create more teams. Break it out into 4-year and juco categories!

Juco:
Charley North
Haywood
Brian Alexander
Minnerath
Eli Warren

4 Year:
Tolbert
Cureton
Derrick Hayes
Desmond Ferguson
Greg Wendt

Based just on stats, I'd go with Brandon Cotton, but you never sensed he was a team player. Other honorable mentions to Grays, Holman, JHII, Thues, Bill Pleas. I don't think Bacari was the caliber of these other players. He was a solid role player on a championship team but not more.

Old Timers Team:
Lee Knorek
Sam Fortino
Gino Sovran
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:34 am

NC Titan wrote:

PG - McCallum Jr.
G - Jackson Jr
Chatman
The other Chatman?
Need a 5th?

The young Calihan lad?

Was he any good? I know virtually nothing about Titan history before 2005 other than we danced in 1999 and Vitale coached us to the sweet 16 in the 70s and allegedly packed Calihan Hall. This Coach's Kids team needs a Big.

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:43 am

Tacitus651 wrote:
NC Titan wrote:

PG - McCallum Jr.
G - Jackson Jr
Chatman
The other Chatman?
Need a 5th?

The young Calihan lad?

Was he any good? I know virtually nothing about Titan history before 2005 other than we danced in 1999 and Vitale coached us to the sweet 16 in the 70s and allegedly packed Calihan Hall. This Coach's Kids team needs a Big.

Bob Calihan Jr. played back in 1969, before I was there but he shared the court with Haywood. And you need five players for an all-time team, so if only five guys ever played for their dad at UDM, he makes the team.

P.S. We also danced in 1998. Beat UCLA.
NC Titan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:47 am

Commissioner wrote:
udballer wrote:

The answer is to create more teams. Break it out into 4-year and juco categories!

Juco:
Charley North
Haywood
Brian Alexander
Minnerath
Eli Warren

4 Year:
Tolbert
Cureton
Derrick Hayes
Desmond Ferguson
Greg Wendt

Based just on stats, I'd go with Brandon Cotton, but you never sensed he was a team player. Other honorable mentions to Grays, Holman, JHII, Thues, Bill Pleas. I don't think Bacari was the caliber of these other players. He was a solid role player on a championship team but not more.

Old Timers Team:
Lee Knorek
Sam Fortino
Gino Sovran

Keith Gray should definitely be on the Juco team. I would drop Eli Warren to honorable mention.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:38 am

heres three you gotta find room for:

chuck bailey
lamarcus lowe
brandon cotton.

cotton goes on my first team.
Last edited by titanmac on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:24 pm

NC Titan wrote:P.S. We also danced in 1998. Beat UCLA.

Actually, we beat St. Johns in 1998. I specifically remember Derrick Hayes dominating their entire team. ;)
udballer
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball