Titan Basketball Media Day

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Titan Basketball Media Day

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:16 pm

Media Day for Titan basketball takes place tomorrow (Tuesday), will be broadcast on ESPN beginning at noon:

http://detroittitans.com/news/2017/10/2 ... esday.aspx
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Titan Basketball Media Day

Postby HSScout1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:41 am

HSScout1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:26 am

That media disclaimer on page one should take care of all of our branding problems.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:29 pm

Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:54 pm

HSScout1 wrote:The 27 page Prospectus for the team:

Interesting to note the weight changes between the roster on the website and this most recent roster in the prospectus.

Poundage Gainers

Black +4. Allen +8. Eichler +6. Joubert +3. Blackshear +6. Isaiah Jones +13.

Poundage Losers

JJJr -2. Ballantyne -10. Ollie -7. McFolley -2. Carter -5.

Unchanged

Hogan, Prince, Long, Tariiq Jones, and Stan the Man Musial Gjysma.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:44 pm

ptctitan wrote:
HSScout1 wrote:The 27 page Prospectus for the team:

Interesting to note the weight changes between the roster on the website and this most recent roster in the prospectus.

Poundage Gainers

Black +4. Allen +8. Eichler +6. Joubert +3. Blackshear +6. Isaiah Jones +13.

Poundage Losers

JJJr -2. Ballantyne -10. Ollie -7. McFolley -2. Carter -5.

Unchanged

Hogan, Prince, Long, Tariiq Jones, and Stan the Man Musial Gjysma.

I highly doubt that Hogan is under 300lbs. Coach Alexander has also gained a few pounds. What are they eating on 6 mile and livernois?
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:43 pm

The food is much better on campus now with the new vendor.

First article I have seen on the Media Day!

http://newsblaze.com/usnews/sports/basketball-homecoming-65-years-on-mcnichols-campus-at-calihan-hall_88370/
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:34 pm

Detroit News coverage of media day:

“Alexander envisions big step forward for Detroit Mercy”

http://detne.ws/2yH0CnN
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:44 am

Tacitus651 wrote:That media disclaimer on page one should take care of all of our branding problems.

They even tried to make it stand out more with the color contrast. Good luck!

On a side note, I recently attended a meeting where one of our coaches spoke and the coach only referred to us as UofD. The coach has been at the school about 10 years or so. I almost always say UofD out of habit, so now my son says it. When I say UDM people often think I am referring to UofM-Dearborn or have no clue what I am talking about. When I throw Detroit-Mercy in, more people get it. But most people still recognize UofD most often.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:29 am

Tacitus651 wrote:That media disclaimer on page one should take care of all of our branding problems.

My diploma still says "University of Detroit" and my grandfather's diploma still says "Detroit College." I will print that disclaimer onto large size Post-It Notes and attach them to the frames of both diplomas. I don't want to upset the new branding campaign for any visitors to my home. :) ;)
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:32 am

JimmyChitwood wrote:

They even tried to make it stand out more with the color contrast. Good luck!

On a side note, I recently attended a meeting where one of our coaches spoke and the coach only referred to us as UofD. The coach has been at the school about 10 years or so. I almost always say UofD out of habit, so now my son says it. When I say UDM people often think I am referring to UofM-Dearborn or have no clue what I am talking about. When I throw Detroit-Mercy in, more people get it. But most people still recognize UofD most often.

Following a recent verbal commitment to the Titans, the recruit’s dad tweeted that he was happy to report his son would be signing with U of D, and the recruit tweeted he was going to Detroit Mercy University.

On the media side, I recently found 19 outlets (magazines and websites) that offered Horizon League previews or general college basketball power rankings for the coming season. Only four (21%) referred to the program as “Detroit Mercy,” the other 15 (79%) used “Detroit.” The rollout was suppose to bring more consistency in how the school and athletic program is branded, but after a full year of implementation it’s clear that things are more muddled than ever. I’m not beating a dead horse, just reporting an obvious fact in current time.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:22 am

It is a dead horse, Rogo. We can't force anyone to refer to us correctly. It takes time to change habits, and even more time to change conversational use (like the tweets). But if you look at the two reports on the Media Day (NewsBlaze and The Snooze), both of them always referred to University of Detroit Mercy and Detroit Mercy. So it's working. Takes time.

On the other hand, I hope that someone in the Athletics Department is reaching out to those 15 publications to nudge them toward getting it right. But I would be pretty sure few of them check our website for preferred branding, and most of the writing is done by stringers.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:47 pm

can lead a horse to water. can't make it drink. this is a struggle that the rebranding team will probably lose. if it hasnt taken hold after almost thirty years when will it?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:43 pm

Let's not forget that until a year ago we endorsed Detroit Titans as our athletics brand. That just changed last fall. I suspect that the broader references to the university rather than the sports teams generally use University of Detroit Mercy or Detroit Mercy.

I just checked on the websites for Virginia Tech, UCLA, Saint Louis and Western Michigan. On their schedules all refer to us as Detroit Mercy.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:18 am

there's doctrine and there's practice. i respect that some of you feel compelled to side with an administration striving, in good faith, to maintain a policy. as many of us feel, the policy was/is ill advised and faces huge hurdles that in my view will never be overcome. a couple of generations have already gone by. i suspect a couple more wont make much difference.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:47 am

Article from the Detroit Free Press in the wake of media day:

“2017-18 Detroit Mercy Titans men's basketball: Five things to know”

http://on.freep.com/2h8h0mX
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:52 am

titanmac wrote:there's doctrine and there's practice. i respect that some of you feel compelled to side with an administration striving, in good faith, to maintain a policy. as many of us feel, the policy was/is ill advised and faces huge hurdles that in my view will never be overcome. a couple of generations have already gone by. i suspect a couple more wont make much difference.

No a couple more generations will do one of 2 things either the new branding sticks or it does not and the official name of University of Detroit Mercy will be only used on official documents and everyone will still use UofD forcing the school to embrace UofD and hopefully by that point the sisters of Mercy won't care about the name allowing the school to embrace the name UofD so long as the mission is Higher Education in the Jesuit and Mercy traditions I think the school would be forced to adapt the UofD as an appropriate short-hand. I for one do not care if we refer to it as UofD, UDM or Detroit Mercy, so long as there is consistency from McNichols that makes more sense. Before we were the Detroit Titans competing for the University of Detroit Mercy, now the transition is not perfect as pointed out by Rogobob and Tacitus, but at least there is an attempt at some consistency as before there was none. I think the D and m logo should become the athletic dept. primary logo if we want better success in branding, or at least brand recognition.
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:34 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:
titanmac wrote:there's doctrine and there's practice. i respect that some of you feel compelled to side with an administration striving, in good faith, to maintain a policy. as many of us feel, the policy was/is ill advised and faces huge hurdles that in my view will never be overcome. a couple of generations have already gone by. i suspect a couple more wont make much difference.

No a couple more generations will do one of 2 things either the new branding sticks or it does not and the official name of University of Detroit Mercy will be only used on official documents and everyone will still use UofD forcing the school to embrace UofD and hopefully by that point the sisters of Mercy won't care about the name allowing the school to embrace the name UofD so long as the mission is Higher Education in the Jesuit and Mercy traditions I think the school would be forced to adapt the UofD as an appropriate short-hand. I for one do not care if we refer to it as UofD, UDM or Detroit Mercy, so long as there is consistency from McNichols that makes more sense. Before we were the Detroit Titans competing for the University of Detroit Mercy, now the transition is not perfect as pointed out by Rogobob and Tacitus, but at least there is an attempt at some consistency as before there was none. I think the D and m logo should become the athletic dept. primary logo if we want better success in branding, or at least brand recognition.

Mik,

FYI - your punctuation keys on the keyboard are all malfunctioning. Oh, wait... they started working again toward the end. :)
udballer
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:41 pm

titanmac wrote:can lead a horse to water. can't make it drink. this is a struggle that the rebranding team will probably lose. if it hasnt taken hold after almost thirty years when will it?

As Grandma Moose used to say, "You can lead a horse to water but sometimes you just have to push their big stupid head into the trough."
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:25 am

hah! can be dangerous mooseman! especially if the moose has antlers!
titanmac
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball