Akron Scrimmage

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Akron Scrimmage

Postby Commissioner » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:08 pm

The Titans supposedly played a closed ("secret") scrimmage yesterday with Akron. No reporting is allowed on these events, and they are just scrimmages.

One person on Akron's board, however, says he talked to someone who was there (and how much more reliable can a source be than an anonymous poster on a fan board quoting an anonymous person who claims to have been present at an event not open to the public?) who said, "It's going to be a rough year, and we just don't have the players to do anything about it." Which would mean the Titans probably did pretty well, if our sources are reliable.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Re: Akron Scrimmage

Postby titanmac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:16 pm

hah! love it. sounds like cnn!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:35 am

thought I was visiting a sports forum, must have missed the poll on changing the forum topic
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:54 am

Considering we could not beat schools in D-2 last year, even a weak Akron team is encouraging, hopefully we get some revenge against the Tartars on Saturday!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:58 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:Considering we could not beat schools in D-2 last year, even a weak Akron team is encouraging, hopefully we get some revenge against the Tartars on Saturday!

Akron has been a dominant team in the MAC for the last decade. I think the MAC poll placed them 4th this year in the East Division.

But of course, we have only the faintest whisp of an idea of what might have happened on Saturday.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:19 pm

I've been distracted a lot lately, mik, but I think Ferris State (who we lost to last year) gave a loaded MSU squad quite a tussle recently in exhibition play. Is it the same Ferris State squad? I don't know, but apparently they have a strong D-2 program. No matter what, losing to them and Wayne State is not OK.

Regards Akron, Coach Dambrot moved on prior to last year (again, I may not have every bit of information exactly correct). Unless, there is someone waiting in the wings to take over, programs often regress and it sounds like that may have happened there too. We have played home and home with them within the past 6 or so years and lost both games, I think.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:56 pm

dennycrane wrote:I've been distracted a lot lately, mik, but I think Ferris State (who we lost to last year) gave a loaded MSU squad quite a tussle recently in exhibition play. Is it the same Ferris State squad? I don't know, but apparently they have a strong D-2 program. No matter what, losing to them and Wayne State is not OK.

Regards Akron, Coach Dambrot moved on prior to last year (again, I may not have every bit of information exactly correct). Unless, there is someone waiting in the wings to take over, programs often regress and it sounds like that may have happened there too. We have played home and home with them within the past 6 or so years and lost both games, I think.

No Clue what you are getting at, my comment was simply that, if in fact we beat a weaker Akron in a scrimmage, that is an encouragement to start of this year and maybe we start of this year better. I am hopeful that we beat Wayne State who is in lower division than us in an exhibition match and theoretically with higher pool of talent we should be superior to Wayne State. Thank you for stating all of that obvious information, not sure what your point is or if it was directed towards me. I obviously indicated that Akron is a weaker team so I am not making claims that we now win the National Championship if we in fact did well in the scrimmage. Your basketball logic is fantastic, so if someone beat someone last year or six years ago that beat us means absolutely nothing, Oakland beat Georgia and Clemson last year and we beat them, but we sure as heck were not nearly as good as Clemson or Georgia. Your logic is to say that since Wayne beat us, we beat Oakland, Oakland beat Georgia, than Georgia is a worse team than Wayne State last year? I just know that if we won in scrimmage we already beat a D-1 team, something that took us nearly 10 games last year to achieve and we lost to D-2 talent, good or not D-2 is lower division.
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:14 pm

On tonight's radio show, BA said that we had only 9 turnovers during the entire scrimmage. He also said that Prince did not play in the scrimmage and may not play against Wayne St because the school has not yet received from the NCAA the grad transfer waiver for him since this is his third 4-year college.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:22 pm

That is unfortunate, I hope it does not drag on and affect the team chemistry by not having him and then having to get him into rotation half way thru the year, it would be nice to start at full force with no excuses.
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:58 am

ptctitan wrote:He also said that Prince did not play in the scrimmage and may not play against Wayne St because the school has not yet received from the NCAA the grad transfer waiver for him since this is his third 4-year college.

Disappointing. I would've thought this had been taken care of much earlier than now. Of course, the NCAA is a notorious foot-dragger for non-marquee teams.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:40 pm

here's a start:

CAA Bylaw 14.6.1– states that a graduate student who is enrolled in a graduate or professional school of an institution other than the institution from which he or she previously received a baccalaureate degree may participate in intercollegiate athletics if the student fulfills the conditions of the one-time transfer exception set forth in Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10 and has eligibility remaining per Bylaw 12.8. A graduate student who does not meet the one-time transfer exception due to the restrictions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10-(a) shall qualify for this exception, provided: (Adopted: 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, Revised: 4/27/06, 1/6/07 effective 8/1/07, 4/28/11 effective 8/1/11, 7/31/14)

(a) The student fulfills the remaining conditions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10;

(b) The student has at least one season of competition remaining; and

(c) The student’s previous institution did not renew his or her athletically related financial aid for the following academic year.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:44 pm

I am really interested to see what the rotation with Hogan looks like, and how prince fit's into that.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby dtowntitan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm

kirky313 wrote:I am really interested to see what the rotation with Hogan looks like, and how prince fit's into that.

im anticipating seeing them starting next to each other.
dtowntitan
Senior

Postby titandave » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:45 pm

dtowntitan wrote:
kirky313 wrote:I am really interested to see what the rotation with Hogan looks like, and how prince fit's into that.

im anticipating seeing them starting next to each other.

That's my thinking as well. This starting line has a good mixture of athleticism, technical skill, and toughness!

PG ... McFolley
SG ... Allen
SF ... Chatman
PF ... Prince
C .... Hogan
titandave
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:33 am

Were you having a bad day, mik? You drew an awful lot of weird conclusions from simple comments. This had nothing to do with Clemson or Oakland or Georgia.

Your note pads have come in handy, by the way.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:14 am

here's the rest:

14.5.5.2.10 One-Time Transfer Exception. The student transfers to the certifying institution from another four-year collegiate institution, and all of the following conditions are met (for graduate students, see Bylaw 14.6.1): (Revised: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93, 1/11/94, 1/10/95, 1/9/96, 1/11/97, 11/1/00 effective 8/1/01, 4/26/01, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05, 4/27/06 effective 10/15/06, 12/15/06, 4/27/07 effective 8/1/08, 4/29/10 effective 8/1/10, 4/22/11)

(a) The student is a participant in a sport other than baseball, basketball, bowl subdivision football or men's ice hockey at the institution to which the student is transferring. A participant in championship subdivision football at the institution to which the student is transferring may use this exception only if the participant transferred to the certifying institution from an institution that sponsors bowl subdivision football and has two or more seasons of competition remaining in football or the participant transfers from a Football Championship Subdivision institution that offers athletically related financial aid in football to a Football Championship Subdivision institution that does not offer athletically related financial aid in football;

(b) The student has not transferred previously from one four-year institution unless, in the previous transfer, the student-athlete received an exception per Bylaw 14.5.5.2.6 (discontinued/nonsponsored sport exception);

(c) At the time of transfer to the certifying institution (see Bylaw 14.5.2), the student would have been academically eligible had he or she remained at the institution from which the student transferred, except that he or she is not required to have fulfilled the necessary percentage-of-degree requirements at the previous institution; and

(d) If the student is transferring from an NCAA or NAIA member institution, the student's previous institution shall certify in writing that it has no objection to the student being granted an exception to the transfer-residence requirement. If an institution receives a written request for a release from a student-athlete, the institution shall grant or deny the request within seven business days. If the institution fails to respond to the student-athlete's written request within seven business days, the release shall be granted by default and the institution shall provide a written release to the student-athlete.
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:27 am

so as i read it, prince MUST meet the requirements of subsections (b) (c) and (d). based on the above report, he does not seem to meet the requirements of (b) and that could well be the end of the inquiry? seems like a tough burden to overcome for purposes of the waiver? hope they have sorted through all this?
titanmac
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:14 pm

titanmac wrote:so as i read it, prince MUST meet the requirements of subsections (b) (c) and (d). based on the above report, he does not seem to meet the requirements of (b) and that could well be the end of the inquiry? seems like a tough burden to overcome for purposes of the waiver? hope they have sorted through all this?

That's how I read it, too, yet that can't be right, because there are lots of transfers who fail that subsection b. In fact, that's how most of these grad transfers seem to come about--they say out a year as a transfer, graduate in 4 years, and have a year of eligibility left, and so transfer again: Trey Lewis from Penn State to Cleveland State to Kentucky; Mark Alstork from Ball State to Wright State to Illinois; Gino Thorpe from Penn State to South Florida to Syracuse; Wesley Myers (Niagara/Maine/South Carolina).

We must be missing something.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:48 pm

well. the limit seems to be that your not allowed a second transfer as a grad student. i can imagine policy statements that interpret the rule otherwise? but when we're told that we are seeking to waive the rule i get more nervous about the liklihood of success?
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:21 pm

On the show, BA said "waiver." A graduate can obtain a waiver of the by-laws that titanmac cited. The following excerpt from the linked web page explains:

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

"Graduate Transfer Waiver

The graduate transfer waiver is now typically used by athletes who have previous transferred once before and so cannot use the one-time transfer exception (even as a graduate student).

A letter from the previous school saying it does not object to the student-athlete being eligible;

Documentation that the student-athlete has been accepted into a specific graduate degree program;

Documentation about whether that degree program is offered by the previous school;

A student-athlete statement including the reasons for the transfer; and

A statement from the previous institution about the student-athlete’s status on the team.

Generally the heart of the waiver is the three middle bullets. The NCAA wants to see that the student-athlete transferred in order to continue his or her academic career by pursuing a graduate degree not offered at the previous school."

From BA's comments on the radio show, it seems that we submitted the request and documentation for the waiver a long time ago, but that no response from the NCAA has been received yet.
ptctitan
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball