Wayne State Preview

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Wayne State Preview

Postby upbasketballfan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:41 pm

TerryTylerFan wrote:
dennycrane wrote:Not a lot that was encouraging, baller. Tariq Jones seems to be in the middle of the action quite a bit. That was encouraging. JJJ played decently. K. Chatman can really help us; he's a player. Is I. Jones ever going to play?

Nice brief summary of a tough one to summarize. The 2nd half had way too many fouls called on both sides, very tough for either team to get into any kind of flow on offense or defense, making it hard to judge, but still disappointing. It was nice to be back in Calihan with a decent crowd. I believe things will get better when the playing rotations get firmed up.

I remember this quote from last year not necessarily from TTF but I saw this last year as a BA weakness. Instead of shopping for new suits all summer BA should have taken a few Coaching 101 classes. He never found a consistent rotation last year.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:17 pm

We were 4 points closer than last year, so there's that.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:32 pm

Random Mooseings:

1. Chatman looks like the real deal. Best part of last night’s game.
2. Good crowd. Although some of people were there to support Wayne State, I also thought we had a good contingent of youngsters from the DPS.
3. The timeout game sponsored by the Michigan Credit Union (an electronic scoreboard version of the pea and shell game using a coin and 3 piggybanks) was totally fraudulent. The contestant rightly chose the correct Pig, as did 90% of the crowd. Yet she was still declared a loser. Rip off!!
4. I love Jaleel Hogan and know little of Ballantyne, but both are carrying way too much weight.
5. The dance team looked better than ever. They deserve a chance to travel and compete with other teams.
6. To TerryTylerFan, my sincerest apologies. I completely drew a blank on your name and I have no excuses.
7. Bacari had no answer for Wayne State down the stretch. The Titans led most of the game and then completely unraveled. No excuses for losing to a GLIAC team…again!
8. Dennycrane does not age. He always looks the same.
9. A lot of new players to integrate into the system but that is no excuse. A close loss to a quality D-1 team might be expected. Losing 3 times in two seasons to GLIAC teams is absurd and doesn’t reflect well on our staff.
10. Allen already looks frustrated with coaching decisions and substitution patterns. And I don’t blame him at all.
11. 62.8% from the line is indefensible.
12. Better acrobatics from our cheer team. Like the dance squad, they look much improved.
13. At some point, BA needs to show some coaching steak to go along with the sartorial sizzle.
14. Poorly played game. Sadly, if this is the first exposure to many fans, building attendance will be rough sledding.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:03 pm

noone ever wins the shell game or three card monty for that matter mooseman. you know that!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:52 pm

HIghlight for me was Tariq Jones. Right now he is ready to contribute, give coaches credit for finding a sleeper. He will be a solid inside player on both ends. He can play D and rebound, makes his FTs, and knows his role.

We are all wrong. BA is going to play 3 small guards at the same time because they are 3 of the better players on the team. JJJ plays like Rashad, not like his dad. We could use a traditional PG (pass first, shoot second) but I'm not complaining. He's a keeper and will be a very good Titan, with a chance to beat his dad's records. I hope that means TEAM records, not just individual records. He did have ZERO assists, something he needs to work on. He's got a pretty good coach, I would think, in that regard...

Prince is just another ordinary member of the orchestra right now. Eichler looked like he understands the game much better in very limited minutes. Not sure if he will break the rotation but I hope he shows that he will.

Too many players who want the ball in crunchtime. I guess that's better than NONE who do. Tariq grabs the rebound and throws the outlet, like they used to do. We need more guys who know their strengths and weaknesses. I thought Chatman tried to do too much, too much ballhandling. But he was in foul trouble and he's been off a year so I'm sure he'll settle down.

Allen was out of sorts but he's our stud and will be fine.

Blackshear showed little and needs to step up his game if he wants serious PT.

Hogan is out of shape but will be fine. His FT shooting will continue to drive us nuts, I fear.

Who is the leader? Hogan? if he can get back to the point where he is in charge of his body and not worrying about his own game and can concentrate on the bigger picture. Remember he missed more than a week of practice because of concussion symptoms. If a leader does not emerge we will be an up-and-down team, better than last year and capable of very good games, but rudderless and a 500+ team in the end, with no postseason.

Coaches do need to improve. I thought our defense was much better in first half, although that could have been awkward first game sloppiness by both teams. In 2nd half, Tartar guards took it to us.

Way too early to panic, guys. Why all the negativity? I just don't get it. We were a 500+ team with McCallum, and that was with too many problem kids and no system. I think this team will offer less headaches and more hope. There will be plenty of heartache along the way, but reasons for optimism. Biggest problems will be things like Chatman playing under control, JJJ playing under control, McFolley keeping his rythym. All better issues than players who are busting up frat houses and flunking out of school...
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:38 pm

No panic. Ultimately it was just an exhibition and means little. Hopefully, things will fall into place. I do think (and mentioned this to dennycrane, who appeared to agree) that the staff has talent to work with. That said, if we drastically underachieve--something I define as a sub .500 record--questions about the team's direction should be asked. But losing to Wayne State in consecutive years is unacceptable no matter what. These tune-ups with non D-1 teams should almost always result in a victory. It's kind of embarrassing as well as frustrating.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:03 am

He [JJJ] did have ZERO assists, something he needs to work on.

I could only listen to game on radio and didn't really notice, but could that have been due in part just to bad shooting? The rest of the team only made 13 field goals, and shot 30.9%. JJJ appears to be a shoot first guy, and I don't know how that will work with two other shooters (McFolley and Allen) on the team, but those shooting numbers will keep down the assist totals.

Biggest disappointment for me may have been Prince. He was a real force (13.4 ppg, 9.4 rpg, .6 bpg, .9 spg) in Big West conference play last year. Showed nothing last night.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:22 am

When I heard about Allen pouting because of low PT, I wondered if we have another Chase Simon or Paris Bass on the team. Hope not.

If Hogan really is about 300 pounds, it'll be a while before he's ready to play like last year.

I hope BA can find some good combinations and move players in and out of the game without it seeming like punishment for a mistake or a missed shot. He needs a rhythm to his substitutions that reinforces that we have a lot of good players and everyone gets to play.

I hope the members of this board learn to spell Tariiq with two i's. Anyone who misspells his name is not allowed to criticize the team for sloppy play.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:54 am

dennycrane wrote:Not a lot that was encouraging, baller. Tariq Jones seems to be in the middle of the action quite a bit. That was encouraging. JJJ played decently. K. Chatman can really help us; he's a player. Is I. Jones ever going to play?

I don't think I. Jones will ever play a meaningful minute for UDM. I think it is great that coach Alexander renewed his scholarship for a 2nd year. I remember watching Jones's intro video on YouTube last season and he stated that the reason he chose UDM was because he wanted to be around "good people ".
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:56 am

NC Titan wrote:When I heard about Allen pouting because of low PT, I wondered if we have another Chase Simon or Paris Bass on the team. Hope not.

Whoa whoa whoa. Corey Allen has been nothing but class, playing hard, being a Titan. He could have used the firing of McCallum to look for a better offer after his big senior season in HS, but he stayed a Titan. He could have transferred after winning Freshman of the Year in last season's team disaster, but he stayed a Titan. I've never heard him whine, complain or criticize anything publicly. I wasn't at Saturday's fiasco, but so far as I can tell, one guy says he "seemed disengaged" and suddenly there's nearly a half dozen references to Allen being unhappy and now we're worried he's Paris Bass?

Corey had a bad shooting night and the simplest answer to anything anyone might have observed, if they actually observed anything and are not just projecting onto it attitudes or emotions that weren't there, is that he was upset with his own shooting.

Let's not start creating problems that aren't there.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:56 am

Titan Jim wrote:The crowd was larger than usual because there was a very loud contingency of Wayne State fans.

There was a decent contingent of WSU fans yes, the crowd was larger because it was a benefit game for DPS.
titanmike
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:22 am

I'm going to go ahead and bury my head in the sand and come up with a new policy that any college hoops that occurs BEFORE the daylight savings time adjustment just didnt happen. Kinda like the secret scrimmages, they don't really exist.

I didn't attend but looking at the box score (and comments on here) it seems there were lots of minutes passed around to alot of players. I suspect we didn't see the line up we'll expect in crunch time come HL conference play.

It is exhibition, and its 100% different than when the bright lights come on for the regular season but... c'mon Bacari and team, just take care of business against these D2 squads. I know better schools than us have lost exhibition games already this year but everyone (players, fan,etc) benefits from getting those W's.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:08 am

Commissioner wrote:
NC Titan wrote:When I heard about Allen pouting because of low PT, I wondered if we have another Chase Simon or Paris Bass on the team. Hope not.

Whoa whoa whoa. Corey Allen has been nothing but class, playing hard, being a Titan. He could have used the firing of McCallum to look for a better offer after his big senior season in HS, but he stayed a Titan. He could have transferred after winning Freshman of the Year in last season's team disaster, but he stayed a Titan. I've never heard him whine, complain or criticize anything publicly. I wasn't at Saturday's fiasco, but so far as I can tell, one guy says he "seemed disengaged" and suddenly there's nearly a half dozen references to Allen being unhappy and now we're worried he's Paris Bass?

Corey had a bad shooting night and the simplest answer to anything anyone might have observed, if they actually observed anything and are not just projecting onto it attitudes or emotions that weren't there, is that he was upset with his own shooting.

Well said. I've been watching Corey play live since he was a sophomore in high school. I've never witnessed him behaving in a way on the court that reflected negatively on his teammates, coaches, or his school.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:04 pm

Commissioner wrote:

I was sitting directly behind the titans bench, during the second to last timeout, Allen did not join the huddle, one of the coaches, i believe he is either a g.a. or the strength and conditioning coach, grabbed Allen by the jersey and told him to "get in there". Ironically the play was diagrammed for Allen and he proceeded to turn the ball over by stepping out of bounds. It looked like he was forced out of bounds, and that a foul should have been called on WSU. As someone else stated, maybe he was angry with his performance. I dont think there is a problem, as Sam said Allen has always behaved like a gentleman. I do feel that Allen should play a minimum of 32 minutes, and that Black should play a maximum of 8 minutes.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby bctitans1987 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Titan Men lost to Wayne State and the Women lost to Larry Tech. Complete and total embarrassment.

The athletic program is in shambles. Every team sucks. The University administration needs to either make a commitment to compete at a high level as a D1 school, or move to NAIA.
bctitans1987
Senior

Postby titandave » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:58 pm

Commissioner wrote:Biggest disappointment for me may have been Prince. He was a real force (13.4 ppg, 9.4 rpg, .6 bpg, .9 spg) in Big West conference play last year. Showed nothing last night.

I'm very surprised that Price had a poor showing; I saw his play a couple of times when we has at Long Beach and he was very effective on the inside at both ends of the floor. It may turn out that Tariiq Jones get the bulk of the playing time at PF.
titandave
Senior

Postby sacredheartgreg » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:41 pm

If we get Prince, Hogan and Chatman on the floor together, we will be fine in our league. I do not like the 3 small guards for a starting lineup. Off the bench should be JJJ, Malik and Tariiq. I would have Long as the fourth player off the bench. before Black.
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:00 pm

Maybe we don't need to throw the baby out with the bath water just yet, bctitans. After all, Coach Scott did a fine job honing his squad into an effective fighting unit last season and he can do the same again. In addition, he has reinforcements on hand for the graduated players, among them the Spanish young lady and others from the Catholic League ranks, I believe. On the men's side, I do not agree with Tom that the use of three small guards at once is advisable. If one or two were 6'4", that would be a different story. As it is, too much height is lost. I do agree with SHG that Mr. Prince will be fine, unless he is not allowed to settle in due to weird substitution patterns or such other upheaval as may arise. But, he's a proven player from a league equal to or better than ours, as The Commissioner adeptly points out.

Dre Black is useful and a steady ballhandler. He's not a 29 minute guy however. Corey Allen is a budding star, having made the all league rookie team last year. And, Kameron Chatman projects as a very good addition to the '17-'18 squad. In time, I hope Coach BA can combine these ingredients into a team which is greater than the sum of it's parts. That's the hallmark of good coaching or certainly one of them.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:24 pm

the scary part of this game is that team just didnt look ready to compete. thats on the coaches.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I am not complaining about Corey in the least. He is quite possibly my favorite player (although I really like Hogan and McFolley a lot, too). I like his effort, attitude, skills, and smarts. When I said that he looked frustrated with the tactics of our staff...well, I meant that he has a reason to be frustrated. As has been pointed out, he's been a dedicated Titan when he could have moved on. My belief, FWIW, is that Allen could play for any D-1 school in the country. At the game, oddly enough, my daughter asked who my favorite player was. I mentioned the same three (Jaleel, Josh, Corey) and she said, "Yeah, I thought they were." I took it to mean that she noticed that I'd made it fairly obvious. At this point, although it's early, I have way more questions about our staff than I do about Allen.
MooseGuy1
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball