Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Postby Road Scholar » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:09 pm

I heard Jermaine tried to shoot two more 3's from the locker room. He's now 1 for 11. No word if he's done shooting yet. His confidence has certainly been impressive so far. Commish, any word on the last time a true freshman lead the team in shot attempts in his first game. Spencer Haywood maybe? I'm guessing Haywood's percentage may have been a little higher though.
Road Scholar
Senior
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:10 pm

Re: Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:11 pm

Shotdoctor wrote:Y'all asked for it. A 5'5" ball hog who's never won a big game or plays Defense.


That reminds me of the old man in the Billy Crystal movie "Forget Paris". You asked for it you got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsKYNQTbSD4
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1706
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Postby 77-85Titan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:11 pm

What was worse, the 3 point airball or the 3 point attempt from about 10 feet behind the 3 point line with no one under the basket?
77-85Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Re: Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Postby 77-85Titan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:13 pm

I think calling him 5'5" might be generous. Calling him a ballhog is not.
77-85Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Re: Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:20 pm

I pretty much agree with most of what has already been posted. I thought the the Jones twins were better than I expected. Prince and Chatman are both players. Jackson should not be playing PG. He looks like he will average more TOs than assists. He makes the rest of the team want to get theirs as he will not distribute. We do have talent but as has been the case since Perry left we need a game coach. We were building Mo right before the half with Jackson off of the floor and then BA put Black in and he destroyed the entire flow. we need the two 2018s we just signed ASAP.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1243
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Postby ptctitan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:22 pm

We did not screen well. We did not defend the screen well. Our offensive spacing was bad. Only Tariiq Jones and Ballantyne displayed any semblance of offensive spacing in order to try and get an open 3. VT may be short; but we were shorter and slower. McFolley was a liability tonight. Allen had a lot of nice moves but could not convert. JJJr + Allen + McFolley shoot 9 for 36. That is supposed to be the strength of this team and it was well-defended by VT with superior athletes at every position.

Nobody back on defense. And then VT made several low percentage shots that made the difference between losing by tonight's margin versus something in the low 20's.

The problem with tonight's game was that this team showed no improvement over last year's play in executing the basic fundamentals. Caught out of position on almost every defensive possession. VT defended our guards well. No discipline on both ends of the court exacerbated by superior talent and coaching at VT.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Postby titanmac » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:47 pm

im glad noone here has a shot chart.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4565
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:06 pm

This was crap. I was working so all I had was the radio to go on.

Every time out, I think we'll win. But it's always like this when we play a Power conference school, like VT...or say, Wayne State.

I heard BA's post game interview with Cliff and to hear Bacari tell it, we can take a lot of positives from this game. He mentioned that our transition defense looked good at times and (at times) some players did some good things. I'm assuming he meant free throws (81.8%), and they didn't put their pants on backwards, or they wore a poppy for Veteran's Day. From looking at the stats, other than Chatman, we got rolled. You lose by 32 (meaning the Hokies covered by 12!!), it's kind of a disaster, ya know?

How in the hell does JJJ launch 16 shots (9 of then treys, with only one finding the bottom of the basket) and put up only 11 points?! But he did go 5-5 at the line. I'm not in any way giving up on the kid this early but I have to ask: If things continue to go this way, and McFolley and Allen rightfully begin to feel resentful, what will it mean? Can BA bench him with his dad on the staff? It sets up some seriously bad locker room politics and conflicts of interest. I'd be worried that other players might not dig favoritism and that is a recipe for some bad mojo on the team. I really hope I'm wrong about this but we are already off to a less than ideal start.

And why is Jaleel so out of shape? I get that he was working on academics in the off season but he's at least 300 pounds now. Why wasn't this being addressed and monitored after we knew he was coming back for the season? I love this guy. He plays hard and is an all around decent fellow but still... And Ballentyne, a freshman no less, comes in looking like he should drop 20 pounds.

As a comparison, Sam and I attended EMU's home opener this morning in Ypsi. I know they were only playing Spring Arbor but they beat them by 30 in a very business like manner...as they should. Coach Rob Murphy has them playing with discipline. Every player who saw the floor looked to be in good shape and their energy level was high for 40 minutes. This with a start time of 10:30 A.M. I was barely awake at 10:30 and Sam had been up all night. Yet, the Eagles, playing basketball, were impressive and the crowd was large and enthusiastic. I have no idea how good they will ultimately be but I do believe that Murphy wouldn't stand by for the kind of selfish and scattered effort the Titans have already demonstrated.

It's not too much to ask that we play smart, be team-oriented, and in shape. VT may have beaten us anyway but a 32 point blowout is unacceptable. The bitch about Ray was that his ceiling was too low and that we could never win a game we weren't supposed to win. From what I see a year and 2 games in, does the current brain trust appear able to do better?

This is frustrating.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3284
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Shotdoctor wrote:Y'all asked for it. A 5'5" ball hog who's never won a big game or plays Defense.


Welcome back, Doc. I feel your pain. Is JJJ really the answer at point guard? Maybe in time, but right now, he appears to be only our fourth best option at the 1. I'm sorry for grumbling but he just looks very undersized and out of his depth. I've talked with you before, Shotdoctor, so you know where I stand on certain subjects. What worries me about your post here is that you seem to have a good eye for what's happening and I have little reason to think you'll be wrong this time. Anyway, glad you're back.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3284
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Postby titandave » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:24 pm

NC Titan wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:
77-85Titan wrote:Looks like Hogan ate a lot of Hokies.


Honestly, this being my first time seeing him since last season, it's worse than I thought. Hogan looked utterly exhausted after 2 minutes of play. They need to put him on a diet and get him to lose 30 pounds. He needs to sit in a sauna everyday and jump rope in full sweats.


He played well until two quick fouls -- one of them bogus.

Big time .... Hogan needs to lose at least 30 pounds. Until the point at which Jaleel is in decent shape; we'll need to rely on Prince for scoring on the inside. Although his playing time was very limited, Isaiah Jones looked solid at the defensive end.
titandave
Senior
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Postby ptctitan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:23 am

The problem last night was not just JJJr. I would rather see him at PG than McFolley or Black. VT's defense took Allen out of the game and let the others try and beat them. Ball distribution can be sorted out during the non-conference season. But the play away from the ball is just as important especially when Allen is the focus of the defense. And Allen did not succeed when defensive pressure on Chatman allowed him some space. We continue to be out-screened by our opponents.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Postby titandave » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:55 am

upbasketballfan wrote:I pretty much agree with most of what has already been posted. I thought the the Jones twins were better than I expected. Prince and Chatman are both players. Jackson should not be playing PG. He looks like he will average more TOs than assists. He makes the rest of the team want to get theirs as he will not distribute. We do have talent but as has been the case since Perry left we need a game coach. We were building Mo right before the half with Jackson off of the floor and then BA put Black in and he destroyed the entire flow. we need the two 2018s we just signed ASAP.

Totally agree with your points especially your comment on Jackson. At this point in time, our best option at PG is McFolley.
titandave
Senior
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:01 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:This was crap. I was working so all I had was the radio to go on.

Every time out, I think we'll win. But it's always like this when we play a Power conference school, like VT...or say, Wayne State.

I heard BA's post game interview with Cliff and to hear Bacari tell it, we can take a lot of positives from this game. He mentioned that our transition defense looked good at times and (at times) some players did some good things. I'm assuming he meant free throws (81.8%), and they didn't put their pants on backwards, or they wore a poppy for Veteran's Day. From looking at the stats, other than Chatman, we got rolled. You lose by 32 (meaning the Hokies covered by 12!!), it's kind of a disaster, ya know?

How in the hell does JJJ launch 16 shots (9 of then treys, with only one finding the bottom of the basket) and put up only 11 points?! But he did go 5-5 at the line. I'm not in any way giving up on the kid this early but I have to ask: If things continue to go this way, and McFolley and Allen rightfully begin to feel resentful, what will it mean? Can BA bench him with his dad on the staff? It sets up some seriously bad locker room politics and conflicts of interest. I'd be worried that other players might not dig favoritism and that is a recipe for some bad mojo on the team. I really hope I'm wrong about this but we are already off to a less than ideal start.

And why is Jaleel so out of shape? I get that he was working on academics in the off season but he's at least 300 pounds now. Why wasn't this being addressed and monitored after we knew he was coming back for the season? I love this guy. He plays hard and is an all around decent fellow but still... And Ballentyne, a freshman no less, comes in looking like he should drop 20 pounds.

As a comparison, Sam and I attended EMU's home opener this morning in Ypsi. I know they were only playing Spring Arbor but they beat them by 30 in a very business like manner...as they should. Coach Rob Murphy has them playing with discipline. Every player who saw the floor looked to be in good shape and their energy level was high for 40 minutes. This with a start time of 10:30 A.M. I was barely awake at 10:30 and Sam had been up all night. Yet, the Eagles, playing basketball, were impressive and the crowd was large and enthusiastic. I have no idea how good they will ultimately be but I do believe that Murphy wouldn't stand by for the kind of selfish and scattered effort the Titans have already demonstrated.

It's not too much to ask that we play smart, be team-oriented, and in shape. VT may have beaten us anyway but a 32 point blowout is unacceptable. The bitch about Ray was that his ceiling was too low and that we could never win a game we weren't supposed to win. From what I see a year and 2 games in, does the current brain trust appear able to do better?

This is frustrating.


It was definitely a frustrating game, Moose. It would probably be easier to write it off as simply a bad game if we weren't coming off another loss to Wayne State. VT has a talented team, and while they are a relatively short team per Power Five standards, their guards were bigger and more talented than ours. Our backcourt really struggled to score.

Well, we should get in the win column on Monday against the other UDM/UMD. Then we can start focusing on the D1 programs coming up on the schedule.
Motor City Sam
Senior
 
Posts: 4496
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Postby ptctitan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:03 pm

Wayne St and VT exposed a big weakness in our small line-up.

When VT played 3 guards, they played a 6'1" 195 lbs against our PG, (McFolley is 6'1" 174 lbs, JJJr is 5' whatever, 172 lbs.). They then played a similarly sized guard against our #2 (McFolley in our 3 guard line-up.) And a 6'5" or a 6'6" 210 lbs against our #3 which is Allen (6'3" 206 lbs) when we go small. So, VT traded one mismatch with Chatman against the #4 or #5 for 3 mismatches against our smaller guards.

Ergo, I agree with MC Sam's opinion above that VT's guards were bigger and more talented than ours. This game is now in the past. Improve against UM-D. Fail forward. Not backwards.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Postby Titans96 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:25 pm

It was a great 1st half performance Chatman. Too bad his performance was not able to be carried over to the 2nd half.

The reason for Chatman's low output in the 2nd half is JJJr. JJJr couldn't handle not having the highest point total on the team. He is a ball hog, and has been his entire high school career. This will be a huge problem for the Titans while JJJr is here. Chatman, Allen, McFolley and others will get disappointed and not care any more. Plus he doesn't know how to play defense and doesn't know how to provide assists. He will score however.

Very disappointed to see how out of shape Hogan is. That is not a good sign of his commitment to the team.
Titans96
Senior
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Re: Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:04 pm

Titans96 wrote:It was a great 1st half performance Chatman. Too bad his performance was not able to be carried over to the 2nd half.

The reason for Chatman's low output in the 2nd half is JJJr. JJJr couldn't handle not having the highest point total on the team. He is a ball hog, and has been his entire high school career. This will be a huge problem for the Titans while JJJr is here. Chatman, Allen, McFolley and others will get disappointed and not care any more. Plus he doesn't know how to play defense and doesn't know how to provide assists. He will score however.

Very disappointed to see how out of shape Hogan is. That is not a good sign of his commitment to the team.


Welcome back Mr. Briggs, sorry to say that I agree with everything you stated in your post. :(
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1706
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Virginia Tech Preview & Game Thread

Postby NC Titan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:32 am

The VT team was much more athletic than the Titans. Which is a change, since we're usually touted as being more athletic than the other team. That might be true when we start HL games, but against the ACC? Well, not gonna happen.

One leather-lung behind me in the arena kept yelling that the Hokies needed to go inside because we couldn't defend inside. And he said that we needed to bring in the second team because the starters weren't any good. But if you look at the starting line-up, we had only two of the appointed (by this board) starters. When the expected starters were all playing, after about five minutes, we actually outplayed VT and we stopped them cold inside. (Except on those in-bounds plays under their basket where we let them score three times on three different plays. Very deflating.) We out-stole VT, and we out-blocked VT. But we couldn't convert on some easy inside baskets -- those really hurt.

When IJones was in, he was a disrupter in the middle. But he looked gimpy.

Tariiq's family was at the game, very nice people.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2052
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Motor City Sam, ptctitan, TitanTarHeel, uofdmik2008 and 9 guests