Scheduling VT to open the season was . . .

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

A bad decision . . . obviously
36%
Worth the embarrassment to play an ACC team
64%

Total votes : 11

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Most HL teams are playing other mid majors or cupcakes. And we opened the season against an ACC team. I get you need to play good teams to get experience and see how you match up. And I get that VT is not Duke. But it seems like a poor choice to start the season, especially after last year.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Re: Scheduling VT to open the season was . . .

Postby Commissioner » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:46 pm

For a while now I've said I think the Titans need to have a season with a cupcake non-conference schedule. Sometimes the team, the fans, the press, the coaches, everyone just needs to see some games go into the W column.

Of course, when you're 0-3 against GLIAC teams, it may not matter.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:51 pm

I think coach Alexander mentioned in an interview that we were playing these games to generate revenue. I think Vtech probably paid us around 60K, I believe UCLA is giving us a check for around 75K. Michigan State is playing North Florida tonight, why not play us instead?
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Utah Valley is beating #5 Kentucky by 9 at the half - they aren't feeling bad about starting off with a tough schedule.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:29 pm

Commissioner wrote:For a while now I've said I think the Titans need to have a season with a cupcake non-conference schedule. Sometimes the team, the fans, the press, the coaches, everyone just needs to see some games go into the W column.

Of course, when you're 0-3 against GLIAC teams, it may not matter.

I'm with you on this. A tough non-conference sked where we get run out of the gym has to be discouraging. But, as you allude to, who do we schedule as a "cupcake"? Is any team a cupcake for us?
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:13 am

To borrow from The Commissioner, tacitus, 'the team, the fans, the press, the coaches, just everyone" needed to see the Wayne State game go into the win column. I know it didn't count but for confidence among the players in themselves and for confidence among the fans in their team, it needed to happen.

As far as the scheduling is concerned, and advocating on BA's behalf here, when you agree to appear in events like the 2K Classic, you don't necessarily get your pick of the Power 5 opponents nor when you play them. Washington, Providence, St Louis and Va. Tech are the four "biggies" in this event. It's possible we had the choice to open at Washington or at Tech and chose the shorter trip. There may be other variables too. You're right, Va. Tech is not Duke; we should have hung with them better. Unfortunately, The Commissioner is also right. A loss to Wayne State is indicative that the team is not very good this early in the season. Defense is a big problem as is the failure to share the ball.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:52 am

Don't think the scheduling problem was VT. The scheduling problem is promoting the Wayne game as if it is a real game and then treating it as a coaching experiment in which winning is not the most important goal for BA, but appeared to be the most important goal for Greer.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:40 am

Playing VA Tech or any other big school is not a mistake. Example, last night Indiana State beat Indiana. Playing a big school early can be an advantage for the smaller school because the big school may not be in mid-season form. U of D simply has to play better. I am in favor of continuing to play Power 5 teams. We lost to Wayne State so we knew our team would have its hands full vs Va Tech. It is a poor start to the new season but it doesn't mean we won't improve and still have a good season. Good observation ptc about how Wayne State and UD approached their game. WSU played as if it meant everything to them and apparently we didn't. Our coaches have to instill the killer instinct in our team and approach each game with the objective of not only winning the game but destroying the opponent.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:11 am

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:Playing VA Tech or any other big school is not a mistake. Example, last night Indiana State beat Indiana. Playing a big school early can be an advantage for the smaller school because the big school may not be in mid-season form. U of D simply has to play better. I am in favor of continuing to play Power 5 teams. We lost to Wayne State so we knew our team would have its hands full vs Va Tech. It is a poor start to the new season but it doesn't mean we won't improve and still have a good season. Good observation ptc about how Wayne State and UD approached their game. WSU played as if it meant everything to them and apparently we didn't. Our coaches have to instill the killer instinct in our team and approach each game with the objective of not only winning the game but destroying the opponent.

We cant simply assume that the coaching staff doesn't try and instill a killer instinct simply by virtue of how the game ended. The players hold some responsibility as well.
titanmike
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball