Altes Beer Scoreboard

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Altes Beer Scoreboard

Postby Commissioner » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:35 pm

Notsosmart wrote:One mans opinion and I will say again I don't view myself as an expert. I watched the game on tv along with MSU and a few others last night. I would say that Texas Southern would finish third or maybe forth in the Horizon. They have a 7-2 guy that would be first team all league and a 5-7 guy who would probably be all league. The rest of there team is a bunch of athletes. They have a final 4 coach. They looked like a really good team and if 96 was at the game I can see why he said what he said. I don't think we can compare Oakland where they are with where we are in the second year of a new coach who hasn't even been at the last 5 games. Our assistant is in a tough spot. His sons on the team yet I'm sure he wants to do the right things in case BA doesn't come back. Who wouldn't want to be the head coach. I don't think you can fault him for that. I think we have to let it play out. It's a mess and they have to fix it so we can move on one way or the other. By the way Neely was good last night, but he was leading the leaguer in assist before last night. So he is a pass first point guard on a team that has good shooters.

Tx Southern is a solid team. I'd figure they're about the equivalent of Fort Wayne, more or less. Beating Fort Wayne on the road is, I think, a considerably more difficult task than beating Tx So at home. TxSo entered the game at 0-6, but their prior opponents had a combined W-L record of 35-5.

Anyway, Neely, it should be noted, had lost his starting point job at OU--whether he regained it last night we'll see. The main reasons he lost his starting spot were a) defense not good enough, and b) zero scoring. He entered the game averaging 2.3 ppg and shooting 31% total and 12.5% from three. Even on a team like OU, with lots of scorers, that's pretty meager production. It's basically a guy the opposition doesn't have to guard. I think Neely's true level of play is somewhere between those first 6 games and last night.

If the Titans upset UCLA or UM, that would be fantastic. But barring such an upset, I think the games that will reveal this team are home games this month against Western, Murray State, East Tennessee, and Toledo. Those are 4 solid mid-majors, all of which would contend for the upper half of the Horizon or even for the title. If we can beat them all at home, it will show we can contend. Anything less than 3-1 in those four games will indicate that a sub-.500 conference record is likely.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:45 pm

The awarding of an assist is also a somewhat subjective determination by the official scorekeeper. For example, on the final play of the SLU game, JJJr passed the ball to Chatman coming off a screen by Black. Then, Chatman made his play and scored. But JJJr was not awarded an assist for making the pass to Chatman. I also think that home scorekeepers tend to be more generous with the home team than the scorekeepers in an away game.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:57 pm

I agree that assists are very subjective. The play you noted probably shouldn't have netted Jr an assist. However, there were probably 6 such plays granted as assists to Neely. For that reason, it's not a stat worth dwelling on, in my opinion.
udballer
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:01 pm

I've long thought ou pads assist stats
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby udballer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:11 pm

Commissioner wrote:I've long thought ou pads assist stats

Like to the level of giving as assist to the inbounds when a guy goes coast to coast. :D
udballer
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:38 am

Friday, December 1:

Games of Interest:
Central Michigan 70, Jackson State 61. The Chips are 6-1.

#13 North Carolina 85, Davidson 75.
#15 Gonzaga 91, #25 Creighton 74.

Mid-Major Win of the Day:
Grambling 64, Georgia Tech 63. Grambling is one of the most sad-sack programs in D-I, with 11 consecutive losing seasons. In the decade before this year, they averaged just 6 wins per season. They entered tonight's game with 1-5 record. Tech entered at 4-1, a team that hung with UCLA and beat Northwestern. So how did Grambling do it? Well, first they put themselves into position to win by making 43% of their threes. But then they got a little help from the Rambling Wreck. The Wreck made just 11 of 22 free throw attempts and could have wrapped this one up with a better performance there. But that's not the worst of it for Tech. After trailing by 16, Tech had roared back to a 63-60 lead in the final minute. After Grambling closed it to 1 with a couple free throws, Tech failed to score, and Grambling came down for the final possession. On that possession, Grambling guard Ivy Smith missed a layup. But two Tech players went up for the rebound, and both got their hands on the ball, with the combined force tipping the the ball neatly back into the hoop for Grambling's game winning bucket. The win ended a string of 63 straight Grambling losses to P6 teams, by an average margin of 35 points.

Honorable Mentions:
Boise State 73, Oregon 70
Towson 67, La Salle 60. Towson is 7-1.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:01 am

Boise State won on a half-court buzzer beater by Lexus Williams, who played at Valpo through last year.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:29 pm

Neely has another good game for OU. He had 9 assists and 3 rebounds. His game was big in helping OU beat Western Michigan.

Doubt we will ever see JJJr with that performance in a game (versus a real D1 team). It’s too bad, because that type of performance would help the Titans. But JJJr just wants to score. Who will dish out assists against UCLA?
Titans96
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:47 am

Saturday, December 2:
Every Horizon team except Detroit was active today, and all against D-I competition. It was pretty much a disaster.

Horizon:
Oakland 78, Western Michigan 73. Martez Walker had 32 points and clinched it with a pair of free throws with 5 seconds left. Oakland took its first lead of the game with 13 minutes left to play, in the middle of a 30-9 run that left them up 14 with 8 minutes to go. Western (4-4) clawed back to within 1 but never regained the lead. Kendrick Nunn returned for Oakland (5-3) after missing two games with injury, and had 14 points in 22 minutes. Isaiah Brock added 16 rebounds. A very good road win for OU. Titans96 asked me to mention that Oakland point guard Brailen Neely had 0 points but 9 assists, and by the way, JJJ is a ballhog and the Titans will never win until he and JJ are gone.

Northern Kentucky 86, Morehead State 49. Drew McDonald led Northern Kentucky (6-2) to an easy win with 22 points.

Loyola 85, UIC 61. I really can't believe how bad UIC (2-5) is playing right now. Loyola led this one by 28 at the half. Aundre Jackson led Loyola (8-1) with 23 points, shooting 10 of 11 from the floor.

Belmont 86, Green Bay 75. An 11-0 run early in the second half gave host Belmont (5-4) the lead, and they went on to win at home. David Jesperson and Kam Hankerson led Green Bay (2-4) with 16 points each.

DePaul 89, Youngstown State 73. Braun Hartfield had 23 points but YSU (2-7) was never really in this game. Cameron Morse's dismal season continued--the Flint native was 3-9 from the field for 11 points. DePaul is 4-3.

Ball State 83, IUPUI 64. Ball State (4-4) never trailed and led by as many as 28. Ron Patterson led IUPUI (2-4) with 14 points.

Western Kentucky 78, Wright State 60. Western Kentucky (6-2) never trailed in this one. Grant Benzinger had 19 for WSU (4-4), which had its 4 game winning streak snapped.

Kent State 72, Cleveland State 62. Anthony Wright had career highs of 21 points and 11 rebounds, but Cleveland State (2-5) was no match for Kent State (5-3).

Montana State 68, Milwaukee 64. Milwaukee dropped a close affair at home. Brock Stull had 18 points to lead the Panthers (5-3). Montana State is 6-3.

Non-Conference Opponents:
Michigan 69, Indiana 55. Michigan (7-2) got off to a 16-2 start and never trailed against the Hoosiers.

Toledo 71, Texas Southern 69. Toledo (4-3) stopped the Texas Southern juggernaut behind Tre'Shaun Fletcher's 16 points and 10 rebounds. The Rockets rallied after an early round of blows from the Tigers (0-8), who led by 19 with 4 minutes left in the first half.

Butler 75, Saint Louis 45. Butler (6-2) led 42-13 at the half, and then scored the 1st 10 of the second half. The lead eventually grew to 41 before Butler eased up. How in the world did Saint Louis (3-4) beat Virginia Tech?

Virginia Tech 83, Mississippi 80 (OT). Tech trailed by 16 in the second half, but battled back to gain it's first lead of the game on a pair of Justin Robinson free throws with 1:02 to play. The Hokies pushed the lead to 4 with 20 seconds left, but Ole Miss (4-3) scored, forced a turnover, and tied it with 5 seconds left. Tech (7-1) won it in the OT when Mississippi's three pointer at the buzzer was off the mark.

Murray State 80, Florida A&M 59. Jonathan Stark had his streak of 29 straight games scoring in double figures broken, but Murray State (5-1) rolled anyway.

Houston Baptist 71, Texas State 52. Josh Ibarra had 14 points and 17 rebounds for HBU (3-5).

Michigan-Dearborn 94, Siena Heights 84. UM-Dearborn (8-4) was 28th in points in this week's NAIA poll.

Other Games:
#1 Duke 96, South Dakota 80.
#2 Kansas 76, Syracuse 60. Devonte Graham had 35 for the Jayhawks (7-0).
#4 Villanova 94, St. Joseph's 53.
#7 Kentucky 79, Harvard 70.
#8 Wichita State 69, #16 Baylor 62.
#10 Miami 80, Princeton 52.
SMU 72, #14 USC 55. Out on the left coast, Southern Methodist (7-2) went on a 23-5 run early in the second half to take command. The Mustangs shot 50% overall, and from three point range.
#18 Virginia 75, Lehigh 54.
#20 Arizona State 75, San Francisco 57. The Sun Devils (7-0) are ranked for the first time since the 2009 season.
#21 Xavier 89, #11 Cincinnati 76. Trevon Bluett had 28 points and Xavier (7-1) had a surprisingly easy time with crosstown rival Cincinnati (7-1).
#23 TCU 92, Yale 66.

Georgia 73, Marquette 66. A lot of Michigan kids in this game. For Georgia (6-1), Yante Maten had 13 points and 7 rebounds, and Mike Edwards added 5 points off the bench. For Marquette (5-3), freshmen Greg Elliott and Jamal Cain had 4 and 8 points respectively. The Titans offered all 4 of these guys. Another Marquette freshman, Ike Eke from UD-Jesuit, is redshirting.

North Carolina State 103, South Carolina State 71. What a strange year this has been. Big scare in this game when SC State player Ty Solomon collapsed midway through the first half. The team's trainer administered CPR and Solomon was taken to the hospital. After a delay of over 40 minutes, and confirmation that Solomon was awake and speaking, the teams decided to resume play.

Battle of Futility: New Hampshire 75, Bryant 69. New Hampshire entered 0-6 v. DI competition, to Bryant's 1-6. But 369 screaming fans watched as the Cats dominated the Dogs in Durham.

Mid-Major Win of the Day: UC-Davis 81, Washington State 67. Davis (5-2) took control early and handed Washington State (6-1) its first loss. The Aggies led by 17 at the half and were never threatened in the second period.

17 teams entered the day undefeated. Dropping from those ranks today were Cincinnati, Syracuse, Colorado, Washington State and Lamar.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:47 pm

Sunday, December 3:

UCLA 106, Detroit 73. The Titans just didn't have the horses. We were repeatedly slow getting back on defense, but otherwise I didn't think we played that bad. Not a lot of turnovers. We did not shoot well, but nor was a real cold night. Thing is, we needed to bring our very best game to have a chance, and that we just didn't do. Even our free throw shooting was down, nor did the refs do us any favors. On a night when everything had to break right, we were OK, but really nothing broke right. Of course, as Titans96 asked me to remind everyone, that's to be expected so long as we got our scheming, coniving interim coach and his ballhog kid running the show. It mighta been different if we had Brailen Neely.

Seattle 84, Eastern Washington 65. Seattle is turning out to be a better team than we thought. Today they battered Eastern Washington, which entered the game at just 3-4, but whose prior losses were to teams with a combined 21-6 record (Utah, Washington, UNLV, and Georgia State) and which beat Stanford at Stanford. Matej Kavas had 26 points and Josh Hearlihy 20 for the victorious Redhawks (5-4).

Fort Wayne 86, SIU-Edwardsville 71. The box score looks slightly similar to the Titan/Fort Wayne game (31 points for Bryson Scott, double-double for Jon Konchar), but this one was never much in doubt as the Mastodons (6-3) jumped out to a quick double-digit lead and were never threatened.

Other Games:
#3 Michigan State 86, Nebraska 57. State (8-1) is playing really well.

#5 Notre Dame 71, St. Francis (NY) 53.
#12 Minnesota 89, Rutgers 67.
#13 North Carolina 97, Tulane 73.
Seton Hall 79, #17 Louisville 77. Desi Rodriguez had 29 for Seton Hall (7-1), including the game winner with 8 seconds left, and grabbed the defensive rebound after Louisville (4-2) missed with 4 seconds left.

Central Florida 65, #24 Alabama 62. Terrell Allen led Central Florida (5-3) with 16 points, and made a key steal with 16 seconds left to ice UCF's victory.
Purdue 74, Northwestern 69. A very tight, well-played game in the Big Ten. Both teams shot well and combined the teams had just 14 turnovers and 27 fouls. Isaac Haas had 26 points for Purdue (8-2, 2-0).

Mid-Major Win of the Day: UCF's win over #24 'Bama. Honorable mention to Long Beach State, which beat Stanford.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:08 am

Monday, December 4. This will be the last nightly recap for a bit.

Ohio State 71, Michigan 62. The Bucks (7-3) trailed by 20 with 1:30 left in the first half, but climbed back in it with a 16-0 run that straddled that half. Eli Brooks broke the string with a three for the Wolverines, but OSU then scored 10 more unanswered points to take the lead. Michigan recovered and went up 4 with under five minutes to play, but another Buckeye run -- 11-0--left UM (7-3) down 7 with 30 seconds left, and that was too much. Mark that second half down as a 41-19 OSU blowout.A friend offered me tickets for this game but I declined in order to pack. Unlucky me.

Seattle was hosting Pacific Lutheran in a late game. Leading by 20 in the second half, I assume they won, boosting their record to 6-4.

Other Games:
Florida State 83, #6 Florida 66. FSU (7-0) knocks off the Gators to remain unbeaten.
#16 Baylor 84, Sam Houston State 56.

Indiana 77, Iowa 64. You don't really expect these two to both enter the game with .500 overall records, 0-1 in conference, but they did.

Only 19 games tonight involving DI teams on both sides, and few of interest. Yet it was a night of exciting finishes across country. This is just from the first wave of games (7 and 8 pm EST starts):
Wisconsin 64, Penn State 63
East Carolina 69, Campbell 66
Western Carolina 72, Appalachian State 71
Liberty 77, Georgia State 74 (OT)
Long Island 75, Stony Brook 71
Quinnipiac 89, Columbia 87
It's a great sport.

Mid Major Win of the Day: Lipscomb 69, Belmont 54. Lipscomb has its more illustrious, crosstown rival's number this year, beating them twice in 8 days.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:29 pm

Full scoreboard tomorrow, but a couple of games of note from Tuesday night.

Mid-major win of the night goes to Ball State, who walked into Notre Dame with a 1-4 road record and walked out with a 80-77 upset win over the Fighting Irish. Great win for the Cardinals.

It was a rare "up" night for the Horizon as Milwaukee and Wright State both won. The Panthers went on the road and beat Jacksonville, improving to 6-3 on the season behind a double double from Bryce Nze. Wright State cruised to a 30 point win over the Fighting Scots of Ohio Valley 98-68, with freshman Jaylon Hall scoring 17 points off the bench and three other Raiders scoring 16 points each.

More tomorrow...
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:01 pm

Tuesday, December 5, 2017.

As mentioned above, the HL went 2-0 last night with wins from Wright State and Milwaukee, and Ball State got the mid major win of the day. To put the Ball State win in perspective, it would be like us going to Crisler or Breslin to play a top ten ranked team and winning on a three pointer with a second to go. Big win for the Cardinals, who had been somewhat inconsistent this season.

Speaking of the team at Breslin, Tom Izzo looks like he has a monster team this year. The Spartans beat Rutgers by ten, 62-52, while playing one of their least impressive games of the season. I know Izzo has fans and detractors on this board, but his team looks destined for big things in 2018.

The top 25 (I remember when it used to be just the top twenty) had it's share of blowouts and upsets.

#1 Duke 124, St. Francis 67. No surprise.
#4 Villanova 88, #12 Gonzaga 72. Nova looks sneaky good again.
#6 Wichita State 95, South Dakota State 85. SDS was up eight at the half.
Arizona 67, #7 Texas A&M 64. Doesn't seem like an upset given the team names, but A&M was favored in Phoenix.
#10 Miami 69, Boston U 54. Was tied at the half.
Nebraska 78, #14 Minnesota 68. Biggest win the Huskers have had in a while. The Big Ten is actually looking pretty weak this season.
#18 West Virginia 68, #15 Virginia 61. Big win for Bob Huggins' team for lots of reasons.
#20 TCU 94, SMU 83. Jamie Dixon is doing good things at his alma mater. The Horned Frogs get payback for a loss last year.
Texas Tech 82, #22 Nevada 76 in overtime. Nevada had control for most of the game and faded late in regulation. Only an upset because of the rankings. I expected Nevada to lose a true road game to a good Big 12 opponent.

Other items of interest:
Syracuse 72, UConn 63. The Orange prevail in a game that will be key in the Big East standings...wait a minute. That's right, 'Cuse is in the ACC and UConn is in the American now. Never mind.
Georgia beat Winthrop 87-82 behind 25 points and 11 rebounds from Yante Maten, a Michigan kid who the Titans recruited hard. He has far outplayed his rankings.
Marquettte 91, Vermont 81.
Texas 71, VCU 67. Shaka Smart gets the win in his return to the program where he made his name.
Central Michigan 75, Montana State 48.
Memphis 65, Samford 64. Of interest to me because I love Tubby Smith. :-) Memphis won despite being down 64-60 with 15 seconds to play.
Creighton 111, North Dakota 68.
Butler 81, Utah 69. Lavell Jordan off to a good start at Butler. This is supposed to be a rebuilding year for the Bulldogs, but they already have wins over Utah and Ohio State and sit at 7-2.
UNLV 92, Oral Roberts 66.
St. John's 68, Grand Canyon 60.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:44 am

OU with a loss at Eastern last night. For full 96 disclosure, Neely had zero assists. General consensus on their board seems to be to just point to March and say that's all that matters for the team. This isn't the start of the year Pioneer fans expected, and you can't say they are really enjoying the ride in the meanwhile.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:03 am

Washington beat Kansas last night, too.

And the Hofstra win over Monmouth had a much weirder finish than our loss last night. The Hofstra player deliberately missed the back end of a 1 and 1 FT. His teammate tipped back the rebound to a guy beyond the 3-pt line who then hit the buzzer beater.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:14 pm

Results from Wednesday, December 6, 2017. As indicated in previous posts, it was another night of upsets.

Toledo 89, Detroit 86. At one point it looked like the Titans had snatched victory from the jaws of defeat, and then the Rockets snatched it right back. Much like the HBU game, the Titans free throw defense gave them a chance in this one, but a fadeaway three pointer at the buzzer ruined the comeback. On to the next one.

In a rarity, the UCLA vs Montana game last night was cancelled due to wildfires. If you've watched some of the footage from Southern California, you can understand why.

It was a night of mixed results for the Horizon, and it offered up reason to be optimistic about the Titans once HL play starts. The conference just isn't good this year.

East Tenn State 84, NKU 71. ETSU visits Calihan on December 19. They look like a pretty good team so far. NKU is 6-3, ETSU 5-3.

Eastern Michigan 95, Oakland 89. Something just isn't right with Oakland this year. Losing to EMU on the road isn't a terrible loss, as the Eagles are talented, but the Grizzlies seem to be playing below expectations so far this season. Even a win over MSU might not be enough to get them an at large bid if they don't win the conference tournament. James Thompson of EMU had a monster game shooting 11 for 11 from the floor and logging a double double.

Western Michigan 78, Cleveland State 67. The Vikings lose to the next Titan opponent and fall to 2-6. The MAC dominance over the HL on this night was complete.

SIU-Edwardsville 82, IUPUI 81. SIUE came into the game 1-6 and beat the Jags at IUPUI. Bad loss for the Jags and for the league.

Green Bay 59, Eastern Illinois 57. They won, but the Packers, er, the Phoenix, trailed at home by 13 at the half to a team that was 0-5 on the road coming into last night's action. Ugh.

UIC 76, Wisconsin Parkside 48. Dikembe Dixson finally had a good game with 17 points.

Top 25

#2 Kansas lost to Washington in a game at Kansas City, 74-65. One of those inexplicable college basketball games. Look for Michigan State to move into that number two spot and hold it for a while, barring some unexpected loss.

# 5 Florida dropped a home game to our former conference mate Loyola-Chicago, 65-59. The Ramblers are 9-1 now. I will go with this as mid major win of the day.

#11 North Carolina 104, Western Carolina 61.

#13 Xavier (another former conference mate) 96, Kent State 70. No letdown for the Musketeers after their emotional win over Cincinnati. (That Xavier/Cincy rivalry is one of the best rivalries in all of sports. Doesn't get the attention it deserves. Both coaches are Cincinnati natives who played basketball at rival high schools.)

Other games of interest:
Virginia Tech 95, Radford 68. VT's only loss is that inexplicable game against St. Louis.

Florida State 96, Loyola-MD 71. No letdown for the Seminoles after their win over rival Florida.

Temple 59, Wisconsin 55. The Badgers look bad this this season.

Providence 77, Brown 72. The Friars trailed by 12 at the half before rallying in regulation and closing the deal in overtime.

Akron 83, Fort Wayne 79.

Harvard 47, Fordham 45. Harvard is only 4-6 this season, despite a talented roster (at least on paper). Still figuring things out apparently.

DePaul 85, Central Connecticut 57. Demons reach .500 on the season.

St. Louis 74, Southern Illinois 69.

Middle Tennessee State 66, Vanderbilt 63. On most days, this would be a good candidate for mid major win of the day.

Idaho 91, Washington State 64. On most days, this would be a good candidate for mid major win of the day.

Central Arkansas 96, California 69. On most days, this would be a good candidate for mid major win of the day.

Wofford 63, Georgia Tech 60. On most days, this would be a good candidate for mid major win of the day.
Last edited by Motor City Sam on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:18 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:OU with a loss at Eastern last night. For full 96 disclosure, Neely had zero assists. General consensus on their board seems to be to just point to March and say that's all that matters for the team. This isn't the start of the year Pioneer fans expected, and you can't say they are really enjoying the ride in the meanwhile.

TitanTarHeel, You are obviously having a difficult time understanding the rationale for my detailing Neely's assists. When Neely get's numerous assists, OU usually wins. I did not see their game last night (there was another game going on that I preferred to attend), but he only played 13 minutes and had zero assists. No idea why he played so little and did not get any assists, but I do know that OU lost.

And my obvious reasons for pointing out Neely's higher assist numbers is to compare how poorly JJJr and the Titans perform in that area of the game. When the Titans have 12 assists and their opponents get 20 assists, that is a pretty good sign that the Titans are going to lose. It is also a sign the Titans are not playing team ball, but instead playing ball hog. Check out the Titan losses and note their poor assist totals versus their opponents.

In regards to JJJr, he actually played a pretty good 1st half last night. He still needs a ton of work on defense, but his offense was under control and he was waiting for his shot, not just gunning up a shot whenever he touched the ball. Guess what, the Titans played a pretty good 1st half too, and that starts with the point guard. However, in the 2nd half JJJr went back to his normal self and started gunning away again. The Rockets took advantage of that and got a big lead, which in the end cost the Titans the game. JJJr went 2-7 overall and 1-4 on 3's in the 2nd half and still kept his terrible defense which also set the tone for his teammates. The Titans were able to claw back, but they put themselves into too great a hole with the poor performance most of the 2nd half.
Titans96
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:41 pm

96 - I actually agree with how you described JJJ's game last night, I posted on the Toledo thread saying very similar things.

As for the Neely comparisons, I think its generally a red herring and not a wholly useful comparison. Two totally different players in totally different situations (such a Neely not really playing a ton most of the time vs JJJ playing 30+ mins per game).

I also applaud you for resisting the urge to add on a gratuitous jab at JJ Sr or Vowels. I know that took serious will power to avoid doing! Dare I say we have a kinder, gentler 96?!
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:33 pm

Results from December 7, 2017. Only one top twenty five game last night, and a light slate overall.

#21 Purdue 80, Valpo 50. The Boilermakes exploded in the last eight minutes of the first half and never were threatened after that.
Maryland 87, Ohio 62.
Rutgers 73, NJIT 64
Iowa State 84, Iowa 78. In the battle of the Children of the Corn, the Big 12 comes out on top. The Hawkeyes dropped their fourth in a row.
Georgetown 81, Howard 67. The Hoyas move to 7-0 under new coach Patrick Ewing, against a soft schedule.
San Francisco 81, Eastern Washington 71.
Mid Major win of the Day: Drexel 72, LaSalle 70. CAA over the A-10.
Last edited by Motor City Sam on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Whenever I see a NJIT score, that school's name reminds me of our old friend Njoku. Players like NJ are underappreciated and often we don't miss them until they are gone. Many of our team's frontcourt problems wouldn't exist if we had a player or two like NJ.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball