UM-Dearborn Preview & Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

UM-Dearborn Preview & Game Thread

Postby Commissioner » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:03 pm

Game 2: UM-Dearborn

When: Monday, November 13, 7:00 p.m.
What: Titan basketball, dummy
Where: Historic Calihan Hall on the campus of the University of Detroit-Mercy.
Who: The Jackson 5 vs. the Baby Wolverines
Why: Cause Marygrove dropped out, and we can use a win over Michigan
How: Superior athletes
TV: ESPN 3
Radio: 910 AM.

Well, there's a good chance that the Titans are gonna beat Michigan this year--Michigan-Dearborn that is. Although frankly, I'm no longer banking on it.

The Baby Wolverines come into the Calihan at 4-3, and a considerably better team than the one we beat 106-51 four years ago, or hammered 122-70 two years ago. Those teams finished 8-22 and 11-19, respectively. Last year the Wolverines upped their mark to 20-12, their first 20-win season ever. This year they were picked to finish third in the WHAC preseason poll, behind the nation's #1 NAIA team, Cornerstone, and #21 Rochester, whom they've since already beaten. In short, UM-D is making some real progress under 4th year Head Coach Taylor Langley. That said, it's an NAIA team, for crying out loud. The Titans should roll, and anything less will be a will up the threat level from Orange to screaming bright Red. If the Titans lose this one, it will be duck & cover time.

In their last game, the Baby Wolves got a taste of D-I competition, losing earlier today to Eastern Michigan, 97-73, in a game that was close for 25 minutes.

The Wolverines feature a veteran lineup, with juniors and seniors getting most of the playing time. 6-8 Senior center Jason Penn was an NAIA Honorable Mention All-American last year, averaging 15 points and 7 rebounds while shooting 60% from the floor. Penn is averaging 16.8 points and 9 rebounds this year in the early going. He'll be joined up front by the best-named Wolverine, 6-6 senior Gage Throgmorton. Throgmorton missed all of last season and the first 5 games of this season, but returned with style against Concordia, making his first 4 three point attempts. He then hit 6 of 9 threes and led UM-D in scoring against Eastern with 22 points. UM-D will need that type of shooting to stay in this one. Three guards round out the starting lineup: 6-4 redshirt junior Mafiaion Joiner, whose parents apparently buy their vowels at Costco (16.3 ppg); 5-11 point guard and redshirt senior Ashton Curd (9.6 ppg); and 6-1 soph Cody Kegley (8 ppg).

Unless Coach Langley moves him back into the starting lineup, the first man off the bench should be junior guard Xavier Crawford (11.4 ppg). Crawford started 61 games in his first two seasons at UM-D, and three games this year. Donovan Ferrell has started three games this year and should also see action at guard. And Chase VanderKlay, a 6-4 freshman, has seen regular playing time. Jason Gugliotti, a 6-9 freshman, has also seen regular playing time and may get the start if Coach Langley wants more size against the D-I opponent.

While the Titans should simply overpower the Wolverines, UM-D's lineup is experienced, old, and has good three point shooting from Joiner, Throgmorton, and Kegley. UM-D isn't a particularly big team, but they've got more size than most NAIA teams. Joyner, Throgmorton, VanderKlay, and freshman Matthew Mignault are all relatively tall guys who can shoot from deep, they've got a couple of 6-9 freshmen on the bench, and given Jaleel Hogan's struggles so far, Penn may have some success inside. Indeed, Penn put up 18 points against EMU's James Thompson, one of the best big men in the mid-major ranks. Put it all together, and an upset--or more likely, an NAIA team that hangs around and gives us some scares--is not out of the question.

Over on the Titan side, we need to get some things straightened out. My guess, however, is that the Titan players will have a tendency to just run up and down the floor and fire off shots---exactly what they did against Virginia Tech on Friday. Against UM-D, that ought to work for the Titans, and the temptation to race and shoot should be near irresistable. So if the Titans want to actually work on having an offense that plays together, that's going to be on the coaches. Plus, most coaches like to use these games to get some playing time for the guys on the bench--but that reduces the time to work with the main rotation. And our main rotation needs some work. They simply don't play much like a unit. Let's also hope that McFolley and Allen can use this game to get their three point shooting straightened out. Our top two long range threats were 1-7 from three against Tech, after shooting 3-9 from three in the Wayne State exhibition. Overall, the two were 4-20 from the floor on Friday, after being 4-19 against Wayne State. Twenty percent combined shooting from Allen and McFolley isn't going to get the job done.

So in a sense, this game is about as important to the Titans as an early season game against an NAIA team can get. UM-D has the tools to give us some difficulty, and we've got a lot to work on before heading down to Nashville and St. Louis for our next three games.

UM Dearborn Probable Starters:
PG: Ashton Curd, 5-11 RS Sr. (9.6 ppg, 4.6 apg)
SG: Cody Kegley, 6-1 Soph. (8.0 ppg)
SG: Mafiaion Joyner, 6-4 RS Jr. (16.6 ppg, 37.8% 3PtFG))
SF: Gage Throgmorton, 6-6 RS Sr. (17.0 ppg, 62.5% 3PtFG)
C: Jason Penn, 6-8 Sr. (16.8 ppg, 9.0 rpg)

Key Reserves:
G: Xavier Crawford, 6-2 Jr. (11.4 ppg)
G: Donovan Ferrell, 6-3 Jr. (1.7 ppg)
G: Chase VanderKlay, 6-4 Fr. (3.1 ppg)
F: Jason Gigliotti, 6-9 Fr. (3.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg)
Last edited by Commissioner on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Re: UM-Dearborn Preview & Game Thread

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:22 pm

If we lose this one, I'm out for good.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:34 pm

Good preview, Commissioner. I called them the junior wolverines on the other board but I like Baby Wolverines, too.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:13 pm

There's no way we lose this one, right?

We'll come out and do our thing and win. No point spread that I could find. But I'd say we'll win by 17. Take that for what it's worth. I'm already feeling a little less embarrassed about the first 2 games, though not well enough to get out of the Titans Witness Protection Program (I'm posing as a Dukie). The Official Moose Prediction (from my location of exile somewhere near Durham, NC--sorry can't say any more than that): Michigan-Dearborn Baby Wolverines 67 Detroit Mercy Titans 84. GO TITANNS!!! Please...
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:41 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:If we lose this one, I'm out for good.

If we lose this game, it will hasten the Detroit Mercy Fail.
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 am

We will win tonight.

I'm more concerned about Blackshear's ineffectiveness in the first two games than I am about the guards. The guards will sort it out. For any PG to distribute, the other 4 have to move well off the ball and be properly spaced. Chatman seemed to understand that concept at VT. And he got the ball from the PG on or near the block with an advantage. Allen did well but could not convert several lay-up's and short-range jumpers. That negated assist chances for the PG who fed him. At least 2 lost assists apiece for McFolley and JJJr resulted from these types of misses by our players - not just Allen. Plus VT focused their defense on Allen and then Chatman. Whoever becomes the PG must make the open shots that the VT defensive scheme permitted. And I am certain that we will continue to see that defensive scheme until our guys defeat it.

FWIW, in 3 minutes vs VT, Isaiah Jones had better production than Blackshear had in 7 minutes. We need Hogan and another big to step up and give us minutes so Chatman can play more minutes at the 3 or 4 position where he can take advantage of the mismatch that his size and skill normally will create. Also, that will help the rebounding stats. VT got several long offensive rebounds that went over the heads of Allen or other guards who were in position but not tall enough to grab them. Against most teams, we cannot afford to play small for long stretches with Chatman at the 5. It is not the most effective use of the personnel on this roster.

However, the priority tonight is winning and winning with authority over the Baby Wolverines. No mercy tonight. Crush them.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titandave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:12 pm

ptctitan wrote:We will win tonight.

I'm more concerned about Blackshear's ineffectiveness in the first two games than I am about the guards. The guards will sort it out. For any PG to distribute, the other 4 have to move well off the ball and be properly spaced. Chatman seemed to understand that concept at VT. And he got the ball from the PG on or near the block with an advantage. Allen did well but could not convert several lay-up's and short-range jumpers. That negated assist chances for the PG who fed him. At least 2 lost assists apiece for McFolley and JJJr resulted from these types of misses by our players - not just Allen. Plus VT focused their defense on Allen and then Chatman. Whoever becomes the PG must make the open shots that the VT defensive scheme permitted. And I am certain that we will continue to see that defensive scheme until our guys defeat it.

FWIW, in 3 minutes vs VT, Isaiah Jones had better production than Blackshear had in 7 minutes. We need Hogan and another big to step up and give us minutes so Chatman can play more minutes at the 3 or 4 position where he can take advantage of the mismatch that his size and skill normally will create. Also, that will help the rebounding stats. VT got several long offensive rebounds that went over the heads of Allen or other guards who were in position but not tall enough to grab them. Against most teams, we cannot afford to play small for long stretches with Chatman at the 5. It is not the most effective use of the personnel on this roster.

However, the priority tonight is winning and winning with authority over the Baby Wolverines. No mercy tonight. Crush them.

Agree with your point on Isaiah Jones contributing more than Blackshear in the game against VT. Although Isaiah's minutes were very limited, I thought he looked solid especially at the defensive end of the floor. Regarding Hogan; I like the idea of having his him start the game, for whatever reason, if he's not effective, then have Blackshear & Isaiah Jones share minutes at Center with Price & Tariiq Jones splitting time at PF.
titandave
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:11 pm

I've been focused on our high-scoring guards, Allen and McFolley, shooting a combined 20%. But you guys are right, the utter lack of production from our two returning front court starters--Blackshear and Hogan--is pretty concerning, too, perhaps moreso. I mean, that's our 4 returning starters, two of them projected as all-conference selections, and they're giving us almost nothing. Let's see that change tonight. Penn, UM-Ds center, is a pretty good player who should give the front court guys a serious test.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titandave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:36 pm

Commissioner wrote:I've been focused on our high-scoring guards, Allen and McFolley, shooting a combined 20%. But you guys are right, the utter lack of production from our two returning front court starters--Blackshear and Hogan--is pretty concerning, too, perhaps moreso. I mean, that's our 4 returning starters, two of them projected as all-conference selections, and they're giving us almost nothing. Let's see that change tonight. Penn, UM-Ds center, is a pretty good player who should give the front court guys a serious test.

Spot-on regarding Jason Penn, here's what he accomplished as a Junior in the 2016-17 season: played in 32 games … led the team in blocks and rebounds with 50 and 233, respectively … averaged 60.6 percent from the field … named to All-WHAC First Team and Defensive Team … earned NAIA All-American Honorable Mention honors … surpassed 1,000-career points.
titandave
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Sounds like the Titans should have a stretch goal of holding Penn below 6 points and 5 rebounds. Anything less than a 20 point victory tonight will be discouraging.

I'm going into this one with an extremely positive attitude and predicting a 93-64 Titans win. The most disappointing part of the BA regime thus far (to me) is the apparent lack of defensive improvement. Giving up 111 to Va Tech is unacceptable. Actually, giving up 111 to 1991 UNLV would be unacceptable.
udballer
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:35 pm

udballer wrote:Sounds like the Titans should have a stretch goal of holding Penn below 6 points and 5 rebounds. Anything less than a 20 point victory tonight will be discouraging.

I'm going into this one with an extremely positive attitude and predicting a 93-64 Titans win. The most disappointing part of the BA regime thus far (to me) is the apparent lack of defensive improvement. Giving up 111 to Va Tech is unacceptable. Actually, giving up 111 to 1991 UNLV would be unacceptable.

However, giving up 111 to that era's Loyola Marymount would be understandable. :-)
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Jack Ballantyne not in uniform for tonight’s game. Redshirting?
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:55 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:
udballer wrote:Sounds like the Titans should have a stretch goal of holding Penn below 6 points and 5 rebounds. Anything less than a 20 point victory tonight will be discouraging.

However, giving up 111 to that era's Loyola Marymount would be understandable. :-)

Good point, Sam. Giving up 111 to that Loyola Marymount squad meant you just won by 30. :D
udballer
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:58 pm

No BA tonight due to "personal matters". JJ takes over for tonight
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Jack Ballantyne not in uniform for tonight’s game. Redshirting?

Too late--he played against Tech. Would have to be injured.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:15 pm

udballer wrote:
Motor City Sam wrote:

Good point, Sam. Giving up 111 to that Loyola Marymount squad meant you just won by 30. :D

Yeah, but only if you had the firepower to score that much. :) I remember North Carolina and UNLV taking blowing out LMU, but I remember Michigan losing to them by a score of 149-115. Those were some entertaining games.

I agree that the Titans will win tonight's game big, but they need to ramp it up as it's pretty close right now.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:21 pm

Sounds like we're in mid season form with the puns using the player's names - and that's not a good thing. :roll:
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:31 pm

Titans up 13, which is fine. But UMD is shooting 50%, with lots of easy shots. We are just a really, really bad defensive team. I don't quite understand it, given that the JJ/Bacari teams were known for "d," and JJ and Bacari were among the best defenders on those teams.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:38 pm

Terrible execution at the end of the half. That's another one--Perry always emphasized winning those last 5 minutes of the first half and first 5 of the second, but that's when it seems like the Titans are weakest.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:51 pm

10 assists to 4 turnovers. jjj 4:1
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball