UM-Dearborn Preview & Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: UM-Dearborn Preview & Game Thread

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:03 pm

Amazing the kind of basic stuff Dan Leach can get wrong when calling a game. Calls players the wrong names. Just said T Jones was a transfer from Long Beach.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titandave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:10 pm

On the rare occasion when we move the basketball around in the half court offense; we actually look pretty good. :D
titandave
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:14 pm

35 bench points
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:15 pm

titandave wrote:On the rare occasion when we move the basketball around in the half court offense; we actually look pretty good. :D

Remember we are playing an NAIA team.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Good. Just good. We took care of business with a team we should beat easily. Hard to make any real judgements on our progress given the competition. Still, I thought we played well, won by a lot, and no one got hurt. I'm happy.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:57 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Amazing the kind of basic stuff Dan Leach can get wrong when calling a game. Calls players the wrong names. Just said T Jones was a transfer from Long Beach.

I think Dan needs to lay off the caffeine. Or maybe the coke. Too bad they cant sync the audio with our radio guy for TV. Cliff calls a good professional broadcast.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:11 pm

The telecast was much more frustrating than the end of the first half. The best thing about the game was JJ's decision to play full court pressure defense in the second half and grind the Baby Wolverines into the floor. No more screwing around. Get the W. Even Cole Long played good positional defense though he did not call glass. And Cody Allen (on loan from the Cleveland Indians bullpen) :P , McFolley and JJJr finally experienced some made 3-point shots.

From the telecast, I learned that Prince's first name is Ross-Kahn and he went to Long Beach Poly. Tariiq Jones also went to Long Beach Poly before going to Dakota HS. And Hogan really improved his free throw shooting last year. To top it off, the score was wrong frequently and I could not hear a word said by JJ in the post-game interview.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby cjmcgow35 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:36 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Amazing the kind of basic stuff Dan Leach can get wrong when calling a game. Calls players the wrong names. Just said T Jones was a transfer from Long Beach.

Outside of his highly annoying "splish splash he's taking a bath" call that I can't stand, it seemed like he didn't do any research before calling this game. Probably too busy being a Michigan Slappy on is off time (sorry, I know, I've never been a Leach fan haha)
Christopher McGowan '11
cjmcgow35
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:53 pm

Ballantyne rested because of shin splints. Blackshear had the same issue last year.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:58 pm

kam chatman and jason penn were the impact players of the game. cam had a 20.0 efficiency rating to 25.0 for penn. nice job by both. prince was a 17. allen a 16. while hogan and t jones we're at 13. was nice to see hogan engaged. after watching chatman a few times i have to agree with the vpi tv guys. he's a classic stretch four. going to be fun to watch him play this year. reminds me a little of minnerath.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby 77-85Titan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:11 am

Someone please have JJ step away from the 3point crack pipe.
77-85Titan
Senior

Postby 77-85Titan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:19 am

In trying to think of a good analogy, I came up with this:

JJ is our Lonzo Ball. Why?

1). He comes from a basketball family.
2). He thinks he is a good shooter.
3). Someone in his family must have told him he is a good shooter and to keep on shooting.
4). He is a very poor shooter.
5). He plays zero defense.

All are accurate. Thus, he is our Lonzo Ball. All he needs now is a brother residing part time in China.
77-85Titan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:21 am

Let's beat up the freshman some more!
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:30 am

I had the same issues with the telecast as you, pct, Cody Allen was referenced several different times, couldn't hear a word of JJ's postgame interview and Dan Leach also said our next game is at Seattle. I think a mistake or two can be forgiven. He made a plethora of them tonight.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:31 am

We shouldn't beat up on JJJ. But, I can't understand why he is starting over Allen, who was HL freshman of the year. Would be explainable IF these 3s were sinking. OR if JJJ were playing like a true PG and distributing the ball.

JJJ should get minutes but he should pass more and shoot less. Chatman and Prince might save this season.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:46 am

actually he's not starting over allen. mcfolley is. free throw shooting was excellent except hogan who missed 4-6. mcfolley t jones and i jones each missed one. everyone else was perfect. 21 team assists to 11 turnovers. not great but not terrible. both jjj and corey had five. allen didnt turn the ball over. jjj didnt either til garbage time when he turned it over twice. we had 20 fouls. thats too many against a good team.
titanmac
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:30 am

Where was Bacari Alexander yesterday?
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:56 am

I watched the first 30 mins of the game, moving along with my evenign to do other things once the game was very much in hand half way thru the 2nd half.

Broadcast notes:
- Dan Leach, seems earnest, tries to be energetic, but it was altogether pretty rough
- the score not being accurate on TV was a neat feature
- I couldn't often read the UMD score with the shade of yellow background they used with the white score number. Perhaps didn't matter since the score was wrong bulk of the time
- the sound was not very good either, couldn't hear any action, whistles, floor squeaks, etc
- I turned on the OU game at one point on TV20, saw they were pummeling New Orleans, realized I couldn't really see a thing because of the glare top being in peak form so turned back to the poor sound and wrong score of our game

Game Notes:
- attendance was poor to put it kindly
- Chatman impressed and is a player. He should be fun to watch esp if he starts really becoming the alpha on the team and on offense.
- Corey seemed to force some things, perhaps part of his adjustment to coming off the bench.
- Hogan looked heavy and slow, had a few nice moves and buckets but against shorter/lighter competition. Needs to round himself into shape ASAP if thats even possible
- JJJ played fine, he seemed confident out there including when he was hoisting shots despite not making many (if that makes sense). Early returns are that he seems ahead of the curve for a frosh PG, but it is also VERY early in season and merely UMD
- Defense and defensive rebounding was not great. I can't even pinpoint exactly whats not working, except its not
- Still WAAAAAY too many forced and bad shots on offense. Guys feel completely okay with just hoisting shots that are contested, that are early in shot clock, that are from deep. We aren't exactly working the ball around selflessly to find the BEST shot out there. Very frustrating.
- The end of the 1st half was a disaster. WE had the ball with 20 some seconds to play. JJJ brought it up court, swung it to Dre Black who immediately went to the wing and launched a distance, falling away 3. This was with 6 seconds on the clock and just an AWFUL shot. UMD rebounded the miss, 2 passes later they drained a 3 at the buzzer to make it a 9 point deficit at the half. UGLY UGLY UGLY
- We played lots of guys and lots of different lineups as a result. Coaches will have to sort out in short order what the core truly is, what 5 will be out there for crunch time, etc.

We got the job down and feels like a confidence building win against a lesser opponent. You take those and pocket them and now we move along to this weekend.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 am

As to BA:

from the post game recap on the Titans' website.

"Jermaine Jackson '99 served as head coach of the team tonight as Bacari Alexander '99 missed the contest due to personal matters. The athletic department will have no further comment and he will be back to coach this weekend."
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:22 am

i agree that there is too many ill advised shots. but also saw a few nice little of dishes near the rim and extra passes to get an easy dunk and or layup andor kick outs to an open man. also saw the beneficiary of those plays not really ready for the dish..... solidifying these spurts into a style of play will be welcome. these came from prince, t jones and others. time will tell. also...seven guys in double figures---spreading the shots around nicely.
Last edited by titanmac on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
titanmac
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball