Houston Baptist Preview

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Houston Baptist Preview

Postby titanmike » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:50 am

ptctitan wrote:
titanmike wrote:Good enough to win against Houston Baptist, not good enough.

A Maryland fan could make the same claim after the Terp's beat Bucknell by 2 on Saturday. A win is a win. And that is the bottom line.

You have to start somewhere, titanmike. Last year's team lost this same type of game several times. I understand the skepticism. It is justified. The players and coaches still have a lot to prove. But this win was different. Our backs were to the wall. We were 10 seconds away from last year's start when the worst shooting guard on the team made a 3-pt shot. And, then, he made another to tie the game with 1.2 seconds left. Hogan made his free throws instead of repeating Manhattan and Milwaukee. And we held the opponent to 41% shooting in the second half and 38% in the OT. When it counted, this team played differently than last year's. Hopefully, they can build upon this win and continue to improve. As JJ said to Cliff Russell after last night's game, "If we have to play like LMU to win, we will."

FWIW, I had us 2-2 at this juncture. The only difference was that my guesses had us beating Seattle and losing to Belmont. And I have no illusions against St. Louis on Wednesday. But winning has to start somewhere.

I am ever the optimist, but the defense is atrocious. Holding then to 41% is really not that impressive. I am not complaining about a win, merely pointing out that unless the defense improves over time, like it did last year, success will be hard to accomplish. I am optimistic.
titanmike
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:53 am

'Jalethal' Hogan has been an absolute and utter disappointment. Going into his Senior season he went ahead and got himself on the brink of academic ineligibility, flirting with transferring, and now is SO out of shape that he's a detriment to the team out there. He literally averages a foul a minute -- and takes himself out of being a useful component (much less the leader) of this team. This has caused disarray to the rest of the lineup up and down, as rotations seem to be out of whack and nothing seems to be in sync.

A continuing disaster to the start of the season. So disappointing on all fronts. Players and coaches alike should be embarrassed. This is far, far FAR from the potential of this team.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:31 pm

Holding then to 41% is really not that impressive

I disagree. In the 2016-17 season, the following teams had the same 41.2% defensive field goal percentage as the Titans achieved in yesterday's second half:

St. Mary's (29-5), Harvard (18-10), UT Arlington (27-9), Texas St (22-14), and Wisconsin (27-10).

They were ranked 40-44 in all of D-1.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titandave » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:37 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:'Jalethal' Hogan has been an absolute and utter disappointment. Going into his Senior season he went ahead and got himself on the brink of academic ineligibility, flirting with transferring, and now is SO out of shape that he's a detriment to the team out there. He literally averages a foul a minute -- and takes himself out of being a useful component (much less the leader) of this team. This has caused disarray to the rest of the lineup up and down, as rotations seem to be out of whack and nothing seems to be in sync. A continuing disaster to the start of the season. So disappointing on all fronts. Players and coaches alike should be embarrassed. This is far, far FAR from the potential of this team.

Sad but true; it's unfortunate Hogan forgot he's a student-athletic. At this point in time, he needs to focus on academics and losing weight/improving fitness. In the meantime, I'm hoping that Tariiq Jones quickly recovers from injury; he's effective on the inside at both ends of the floor.
titandave
Senior

Postby Road Scholar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:50 pm

I could see this coming this year for Hogan. I feel for him. He created the original situation thanks to Twitter, but it would have taken a crazy amount of discipline for him to stay in shape on his own this summer. I'm guessing he had no team to practice with and no facilities to practice in or space to work out all summer long. Did the University need to wait so long to let him back on the team? Couldn't they have at least set him up with some sort of personal trainer to check in with after he said he wanted to come back?
And now we haven't had a coach for over a week and counting. One coach MIA who preached chaos defense and a new coach who it sounds like is trying to bring back a chaos offense that hasn't been run effectively in 30 years. The team has to be a little confused out there. It's hard to imagine things falling apart this quickly in the season. And things looking so bleak with a 2-2 record. Still plenty of time to get it together but there just doesn't seem to be much direction right now.
Road Scholar
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:58 pm

i'd be surprised if he wasn't allowed to use calahan facilities to keep in shape or to discuss his progress with the trainer. possible i suppose but doesn't seem likely? the only proscriptions i can find is that you can't practice with the team and can't play....
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Hogan will be fine by the time the conference schedule starts. Until then, hopefully he can extend his minutes back up to 20 per game. It appears that he has to reacquaint himself with the new rules interpretations that are designed to allow more freedom of movement. He is productive when he is in there; but he is collecting fouls faster than points or rebounds.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:21 pm

Fun fact. I just finished watching Hoop Dreams for the first time in about 20 years. One of the 2 main characters was William Gates. Naturally, the basketball fan that I am, I had to re-google each character following the show. Gates was the one who ended up at Marquette.

Long story short, Gates' son was awarded a scholarship to Furman a while back. It turns out he ended up finishing his college career this season at Houston Baptist. Seems he was 5-8 from the field for 10 points against our Titans this season.

So, basically, well... no point. Just wanted to share.
udballer
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball