Houston Baptist Preview

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Houston Baptist Preview

Postby titandave » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:25 pm

Nice victory for the Titans .... the 22-12 assist-to-turnover ratio carried the day!
titandave
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:26 pm

Yes!! Winning feels so good. We won and JJ Jr. was money down the stretch. Allen had a great game, as did Kam. Hopefully this will carry over to St. Louis. You gotta love how we battled.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:26 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:Titans win 116-109, did they play any defense in this game?

Titans held H Baptist to 41% shooting in second half.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:27 pm

I'm just not going to pick this game apart with analysis. We win=I'm happy. :D :D :D
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:29 pm

ptctitan wrote:I take it all back until the next game. :D

Allen sets the arena record with 39 points. Chatman 21 points and 16 boards.

I think it is clear that our offense should run through Allen.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:31 pm

You can see JJJr's buzzer-beater here - I hope.

https://twitter.com/2KClassic/status/932387994044125184
ptctitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:39 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:I think it is clear that our offense should run through Allen.

Of course it should. And I think that the staff has intended the offense to run through Corey. This was the first game in which we held a D-1 opponent under 50% shooting.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:42 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:I'm just not going to pick this game apart with analysis. We win=I'm happy. :D :D :D

Ditto. Should have taken the over 200. ;) :o
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:51 pm

It was nice to get a win, and to see some late heroics. Some good:
1) Obviously Corey Allen is out of his early funk.
2) The team played well on offense when they passed, and that cut the other team's scoring, too. First half: 17 assists on 20 field goals, Titans lead 55-48. Second half: 3 assists on 15 field goals, Titans lose half 47-40. OT: 2 assista on 5 field goals, Titans win 21-14. Tough to tell from radio and Stats, but I got the sense passing and patience were the difference in the assist totals, not shooting.
3) Chatman was just 1-9 from three, but showed he can contribute on a poor shooting night with 22 points (he was 7-11 inside the arc and 5-7 from the line) 16 rebounds and 4 assists.
4) We continue to benefit from good free throw shooting, a nice change of pace from recent years. We entered the game 4th in the country in free throw shooting, and hit 80% today, including 8-9 in the final 90 seconds as HBU tried to catch up by fouling.
5) Isaiah Jones scored his first Titan points.

Some bad:
1) Josh is still in his shooting funk, and seems really unsure of his role when JJJ is in the game.
2) No defense. We simply cannot get stops, and that will make it hard to win games.
3) At this point, we'd probably be better if Hogan were wearing a Blazer uniform.
4) Outside of Allen, the Titans shot 5-30 from three.

Some in-between:
1) Yes, JJJ hit a pair of threes in the final 10 seconds. But before that, he was 1-11 from three, and it certainly sounded like poor shot selection. He's shooting 28.3% overall and 18.2% from three. He needs to stop.

The win was nice, but Houston Baptist ain't exactly a powerhouse. The last minutes of regulation showed how awful this team can be, and how poorly coached. The Titans cannot get a defensive stop when they need one. And down three in the final minute, on back-to-back possessions with the Titans down 2 and then 3, Jermaine Jackson and then Dre Black jacked up three-pointers with virtually no time off the shot clock and plenty of time on the game clock. Both missed. These are not the guys we want taking those shots at that time, and neither even thought about trying to see if the Titans could get a better shot or have someone in rebounding position.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:18 pm

Commissioner wrote:It was nice to get a win, and to see some late heroics. Some good:
2) The team played well on offense when they passed, and that cut the other team's scoring, too. First half: 17 assists on 20 field goals, Titans lead 55-48. Second half: 3 assists on 15 field goals, Titans lose half 47-40. OT: 2 assista on 5 field goals, Titans win 21-14. Tough to tell from radio and Stats, but I got the sense passing and patience were the difference in the assist totals, not shooting.
3) Chatman was just 1-9 from three, but showed he can contribute on a poor shooting night with 22 points (he was 7-11 inside the arc and 5-7 from the line) 16 rebounds and 4 assists.
4) We continue to benefit from good free throw shooting, a nice change of pace from recent years. We entered the game 4th in the country in free throw shooting, and hit 80% today, including 8-9 in the final 90 seconds as HBU tried to catch up by fouling.

Some bad:
1) Josh is still in his shooting funk, and seems really unsure of his role when JJJ is in the game.
2) No defense. We simply cannot get stops, and that will make it hard to win games.
3) At this point, we'd probably be better if Hogan were wearing a Blazer uniform.

Some in-between:
1) Yes, JJJ hit a pair of threes in the final 10 seconds. But before that, he was 1-11 from three, and it certainly sounded like poor shot selection. He's shooting 28.3% overall and 18.2% from three. He needs to stop.

The win was nice, but Houston Baptist ain't exactly a powerhouse. The last minutes of regulation showed how awful this team can be, and how poorly coached. The Titans cannot get a defensive stop when they need one. And down three in the final minute, on back-to-back possessions with the Titans down 2 and then 3, Jermaine Jackson and then Dre Black jacked up three-pointers with virtually no time off the shot clock and plenty of time on the game clock. Both missed. These are not the guys we want taking those shots at that time, and neither even thought about trying to see if the Titans could get a better shot or have someone in rebounding position.

I've had a chance to watch several other mid-majors play, and the better teams move the ball around until they get a good shot. Our guys don't move the ball, they run and shoot. The next time Dre Black or JJJR. shoot a thirty footer without making a single pass they need to be sat for the rest of the half. It seems as if there are no repercussions for making bad decisions. This situation must be managed correctly in order to avoid the appearances of cronyism and nepotism.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:22 pm

Commissioner: we were 10 seconds away from very deep ugliness to the start of this season. You can see it in my posts earlier in this thread. And then JJJr hit two 3 point shots to tie the game. And Hogan hit two for two free throws for the points before those shots. Houston Baptist scored only 2 field goals in the last 4:36 of the game. Then, in the overtime, Allen and Chatman stepped up for us. We ended up beating them by about the same margin as Belmont. There is no asterisk for this W because it was not achieved in an elegant manner. And the way in which it was accomplished can be a pivot point for the season. Enjoy the result.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:47 pm

[quote="sacredheartgreg"]Moose, its awful hard to tell a bird he can't fly, especially if he is your son.[/quote

Yeah, I know, Greg. Though we won, this kind of favoritism is going to make for some bad juju on the team. McFolley already seems baffled by our staff's strategy, As am I. We beat HBU, a very bad and probably sub 300 RPI team. Jackson hit 2 big baskets to get us to overtime but the trend of conscienceless 3 point jack-ups will kill us when we play better teams. We win, so I'm pleased but any optimism is tempered by knowing that we continued to play no D, no fundamentals basketball.
Last edited by MooseGuy1 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:51 pm

ptctitan wrote:
MooseGuy1 wrote:I'm just not going to pick this game apart with analysis. We win=I'm happy. :D :D :D

Ditto. Should have taken the over 200. ;) :o

Well, still, if I'd bet the over on 170 I'd be a bit richer. 200 points even with one OT is absurd.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:17 am

as the saying goes: best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:19 am

At times, this team can look invincible.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:11 am

I would just point out that last year it took us until December 17 to beat a D-1 team. Last year, we had a home game against a similarly ranked opponent, Manhattan. Last year's team lost that game in OT.
Last edited by ptctitan on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:06 am

ptctitan wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:Titans win 116-109, did they play any defense in this game?

Titans held H Baptist to 41% shooting in second half.

Good enough to win against Houston Baptist, not good enough.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:09 am

R.B.J1 wrote:
Commissioner wrote:It was nice to get a win, and to see some late heroics. Some good:

Some bad:

Some in-between:

I've had a chance to watch several other mid-majors play, and the better teams move the ball around until they get a good shot. Our guys don't move the ball, they run and shoot. The next time Dre Black or JJJR. shoot a thirty footer without making a single pass they need to be sat for the rest of the half. It seems as if there are no repercussions for making bad decisions. This situation must be managed correctly in order to avoid the appearances of cronyism and nepotism.

Agreed, but check the tape, they are by no means the only ones.
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:38 am

titanmike wrote:Good enough to win against Houston Baptist, not good enough.

A Maryland fan could make the same claim after the Terp's beat Bucknell by 2 on Saturday. A win is a win. And that is the bottom line.

You have to start somewhere, titanmike. Last year's team lost this same type of game several times. I understand the skepticism. It is justified. The players and coaches still have a lot to prove. But this win was different. Our backs were to the wall. We were 10 seconds away from last year's start when the worst shooting guard on the team made a 3-pt shot. And, then, he made another to tie the game with 1.2 seconds left. Hogan made his free throws instead of repeating Manhattan and Milwaukee. And we held the opponent to 41% shooting in the second half and 38% in the OT. When it counted, this team played differently than last year's. Hopefully, they can build upon this win and continue to improve. As JJ said to Cliff Russell after last night's game, "If we have to play like LMU to win, we will."

FWIW, I had us 2-2 at this juncture. The only difference was that my guesses had us beating Seattle and losing to Belmont. And I have no illusions against St. Louis on Wednesday. But winning has to start somewhere.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:01 am

If we continue playing this brand of "defense", we will not win 3 conference games. The defense is baffling. The lineups are baffling. The comments about LMU are baffling.

I was confident that the Titans would win 20 this year with the addition of Chatman alone, and said as much. I really missed on the caliber of defense that this team would play under these coaches. I'd have preferred to hear JJ Sr. rip the defensive effort rather than make a lame comparison to LMU.
udballer
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball