Saint Louis Upset Win Preview and Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Saint Louis Upset Win Preview and Game Thread

Postby MooseGuy1 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:43 pm

Commissioner wrote:I've changed the heading on this thread. Kind of like Soviet Russia.

This was a team effort. I originally titled it the "loss preview." Moose of course picked the Titans to win, but admitted that was only because he always picks the Titans to win. Tacitus ceded the game 90 seconds in. It took a lot of hard core pessimism to jinx the Billikens and help the Titans win this game.

This was our first win against an Atlantic 10 team since beating Rhode Island 70-68 in the fall of 2013. But then in fairness, we've only played one other A10 game since then--losing to Rhody the next year. We should play A10 teams more often.

We should be part of the A-10. The HL is a dying league. We continue to lose members and replace them with lesser schools.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:01 pm

i agree mooseman. need to keep pluggin. with rare exceptions i dont think many here would rather stay in the horizon.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:32 am

Until our team produces consistent winning, a "better" league is a pipedream. Be careful about focusing upon attaining that goal or you will be accused of adhering to "the secret." Remember. Think only negative thoughts. ;)
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:48 am

I stayed up all night googling "Bacari Alexander fired" and "Detroit Mercy invited to the A-10" - I think I just solved all of our problems.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:51 am

Tacitus651 wrote:I stayed up all night googling "Bacari Alexander fired" and "Detroit Mercy invited to the A-10" - I think I just solved all of our problems.

That's not how the secret works - unless you have replaced your mind with Google as your AI supplement. ;) All that you likely accomplished was attracting 123 Russian bots to your PC. ;)
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:02 pm

ptctitan wrote:Until our team produces consistent winning, a "better" league is a pipedream. Be careful about focusing upon attaining that goal or you will be accused of adhering to "the secret." Remember. Think only negative thoughts. ;)

With JJ at the helm, we’ll be in a winning situation. Trust me on this one.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:14 pm

Hoopster_Now_In_DC wrote:
ptctitan wrote:Until our team produces consistent winning, a "better" league is a pipedream. Be careful about focusing upon attaining that goal or you will be accused of adhering to "the secret." Remember. Think only negative thoughts. ;)

With JJ at the helm, we’ll be in a winning situation. Trust me on this one.

I don't know how everyone came up with any of this, but Bacari is still the head coach. His activity on twitter suggests he expects to comeback, I just hope that non of this talk on the board or anything else has strained his relationship with JJ or JJjr.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:15 pm

usually agree with all your comments ptc. insightful. but a winning record is not a prerequisite to moving up. ask loyola. nevertheless, i will refrain from advocating that position in the newly recognized spirit of reverse psychology seemingly sweeping over the board. in retrospect, i regret having argued so vociferously for continuing our veto of oakland into the horizon league. since then the quality of the league continues to decline. mea culpa.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:03 pm

titanmac - didn't Loyola replace Creighton as the token Jesuit university in the MVC when Creighton left to join the Big East? I suspect if such a special situation arose in the A-10 (actually there are 14 schools in the A-10), then we could be considered. But, I agree that in the spirit of negative thinking, let's keep the men's program fraught with failure and uncertainty so that the power of negative thinking prevails. Except with Moose, whose predictions I want to be accurate more often than a stopped watch.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:16 pm

PTC, don't rob me of pessimism. It's my only defense against heartbreak.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:29 pm

Commissioner wrote:PTC, don't rob me of pessimism. It's my only defense against heartbreak.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:58 pm

hah! your on a roll!
titanmac
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:46 am

mac - Until Detroit has over 1 million citizens again, no one is going to look at a team in the city of Detroit unless we have a winning program and are drawing 5000 or more per game. Loyola had a 2.6 million person media market as a draw, lots of basketball players that want to play D-I and a league that wants to attract more of these athletes. Hopefully, the downtown redevelopment program continues to grow and Detroit gets back to over 1 million people. Then the only decision a conference would have to make then is whether they want a suburban team (Oakland) or one of the two schools in the city proper (Wayne State or us). [Before you point out that WSU is a D-II school, remember they have 5 times as many alumni and a State government to pull from if they decide to move up to D-I.]
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:32 am

horsepucky.
titanmac
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:48 am

Like most things, only time will tell.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball