Saint Louis Upset Win Preview and Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Saint Louis Upset Win Preview and Game Thread

Postby Commissioner » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:32 pm

Saint Louis:

When: Wednesday, November 22, 8:00 p.m. EST
Where: Chaifetz Arena, St. Louis
TV: Fox Sports Midwest
Radio: AM 910 Superstation

What better way to start the long Thanksgiving than watching the Titans lose to our old MCC rival, Saint Louis. Indeed, Saint Louis has the distinction of having been both an MCC and Missouri Valley rival of the Titans. Like most our old MCC rivals (i.e. Marquette, Dayton, Butler, Xavier, Evansville, La Salle, Duquesne, and Loyola), Saint Louis has gone on to bigger and better things. They're one of those programs (think BYU, Utah State, St. Joe's, UMass etc.) that sort of straddle the dividing line between "high major" and "mid-major," playing in the Atlantic 10, what is generally considered the one of the top conferences outside the P6. Since winning 81 games (and advancing a round in the NCAA each year) between 2012 and 2014, the Billikens have struggled, going just 34-63 over the last three years. but they're off to a solid 3-1 start this year, including an impressive win over Virginia Tech last Thursday. They lost the last time out, however, by 27 points against Providence.

All time, the Titans are 15-29 against Saint Louis, but this will be the first meeting between the Titans and the Billikens in nearly a decade. The Titans won that last meeting, 62-57, in November of 2008. The Titan wins include a 73-60 win over 15th ranked Saint Louis in February, 1950. Overall, the Titans are 1-5 against the Billikens when the Billikens were nationally ranked, 1-0 when the Titans were nationally ranked (a 69-61 win for 17th ranked Detroit in December, 1977).

But what you all want to know is this: what the hell is a "Billiken?" According to the Saint Louis U. website, a Billiken is a "mythical good luck figure, who represents things things as they ought to be." But it's not exactly a myth whose origins are lost in the mists of history--it was invented in 1908 by Flo Pretz, an art teacher in Missouri. You're supposed to rub its belly for good luck. They became quite popular in the first part of the 20th century, and can be found as far from Missouri as Alaska and Japan. Saint Louis teams acquired the "Billiken" nickname as early as 1910.

This Billiken sits outside Chaifetz Arena, the site of Wednesday's game.
Seriously, are we going to let this little Buddha knockoff knock off a Titan?

At least one rumor is that the name first attached because Saint Louis U. football coach John Bender was thought to look like the Billiken. Seriously. Here's a photo of Coach Bender, circa 1910.
A Billiken, or a football coach? You decide.

As to this Billiken team:

The Billikens are in their second season under veteran coach Travis Ford, and there's a general sense that things are on the upswing. They've used the same 5 starters in all 4 games to date, and played a short, seven-man rotation.

Those starters include two Top 100 freshman recruits, forward Hasahn French and guard Jordan Goodwin. Michigan State transfer Javon Bess is another new face in the starting lineup. Holdovers from last year are senior guard Davell Roby, a holdover from the Jim Crews regime, and sophomore Jalen Johnson. The bench has largely consisted of junior forward D.J. Foreman and senior guard Anthony Hines. Though Saint Louis doesn't have a lot of size in the front line, their guards are big and strong and they have been a very good rebounding team. The Billikens prefer to play slowly and methodically. They are a patient team with the 5th longest average time per offensive possession in NCAA D-I. Providence was able to get them out of that rhythym and get easy buckets. The Titans are one of the fasted playing teams in the country, but whether Detroit has the ability of Providence, I am doubtful. But the Titans showed some progress, at least at times, against Houston Baptist, and if the guys shoot really well, they may have a chance. I think a 30 point Providence win seems much more likely.

Probably Starters:
G: Jordan Goodwin, 6-3 Fr. (9.3 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 5.0 apg)
G: Davell Roby, 6-4 Sr. (9.8 ppg, 41.2 3PtFG%)
G: Javon Bess, 6-6 RS Jr. (16.3 ppg, 6.0 rpg)
F: Hasahn French, 6-7 Fr. (8.3 ppg, 7.3 rpg)
F: Jalen Johnson, 6-7 Soph. (6.8 ppg)

Key Reserves:
G: Aaron Hines, 6-0 Sr. (9.8 ppg)
F: D.J. Foreman, 6-8 Jr. (7.0 ppg, 4.8 rpg)
C: Rashed Anthony, 6-9 Sr. (0.5 ppg).
Last edited by Commissioner on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Re: Saint Louis Loss Preview and Game Thread

Postby The-Dude » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:24 am

Look for St Louis to upset DetMer in a thriller...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:30 am

On last night's coaches' radio show, JJ Sr stated that Tariiq Jones is on crutches and will likely be out another 2 weeks.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titandave » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:46 pm

ptctitan wrote:On last night's coaches' radio show, JJ Sr stated that Tariiq Jones is on crutches and will likely be out another 2 weeks.

Ouch ..... I has hoping Tariiq would be available for the match up with Saint Louis. To be competitive against the Billikens, we need quality minutes from Blackshear and Price. With regards to Hogan; I'll be pleased if he's effective in 12-15 minutes of playing time.
titandave
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:14 am

If you don't have Fox Sports Midwest, tonight's game can also be watched through the Atlantic 10 Network, http://www.atlantic10.com/mediaPortal/p ... id=1911125
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Commissioner wrote:If you don't have Fox Sports Midwest, tonight's game can also be watched through the Atlantic 10 Network, http://www.atlantic10.com/mediaPortal/p ... id=1911125

That's good news. I'd hate for our head coach to miss the game. Although, considering what we pay, I'm guessing he can afford Fox Sports.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby udballer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:26 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:
Commissioner wrote:If you don't have Fox Sports Midwest, tonight's game can also be watched through the Atlantic 10 Network, http://www.atlantic10.com/mediaPortal/p ... id=1911125

That's good news. I'd hate for our head coach to miss the game. Although, considering what we pay, I'm guessing he can afford Fox Sports.

Tacitus is always around to lighten the mood. I'm so glad we didn't lose him after Mendez decommitted!
udballer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Dude, I was just about to make a Mendez joke. Good times.

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:00 pm

1:17 played and we pretty much already lost. Of course, JJJ used the first possession to take the ball up the court, not even look for an open pass, and then launch (and miss) a 3 from 5 feet behind the line.

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:36 pm

good call tacitus!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:39 pm

We'd be fine if we weren't shooting so poorly. As it is, it will be close at the half.

Allen sinks a 3. We're down 2.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:41 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:1:17 played and we pretty much already lost. Of course, JJJ used the first possession to take the ball up the court, not even look for an open pass, and then launch (and miss) a 3 from 5 feet behind the line.

I guess you are close Taci, 32-30 SLU vs Detroit Mercy, best half of the season so far! Hope you are still watching Taci!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:50 pm

Some good things this half. Zone defense. Rebounding margin is -1 at 22-21. We have caused 9 turnovers. McFolley has finally found a shooting touch. Defensive field goal percentage of 45%. Hogan plays 9 minutes and only has 1 foul. Keep it up.
Last edited by ptctitan on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:51 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:1:17 played and we pretty much already lost. Of course, JJJ used the first possession to take the ball up the court, not even look for an open pass, and then launch (and miss) a 3 from 5 feet behind the line.

I guess you are close Taci, 32-30 SLU vs Detroit Mercy, best half of the season so far! Hope you are still watching Taci!

Still watching. Glad I was wrong! If BA were coaching it'd be 45-13, SLU. That guy couldn't coach the Harlem Globetrotters to a win. Sad.

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:53 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:
uofdmik2008 wrote:

Still watching. Glad I was wrong! If BA were coaching it'd be 45-13, SLU. That guy couldn't coach the Harlem Globetrotters to a win. Sad.

Maybe he thought he was hired to coach the Generals!
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:59 pm

Outside of the first 8-0 run to open the game, we played decently well. Easily our best defensive half of the season and SLU hardly looks unbeatable.

This is going to give me grey hair if Jr. continues to play without a conscience. Holy crap! He'd hoist it from Cahokia. Ends the half with a 1-7. I'm far from sold on this father/son combo. No wonder Bacari blew his stack at practice (reportedly). Don't know if (allegedly) it had to do with JJ1 or JJ2 (speculatively) but I'd lose my mind. The kid is not a shooter at this level...at least not yet. Nor is he a team player. It's funny (read "not funny at all") that the SLU announcers seem to think schoolyard ball is not too bad as a strategy. We may win this in spite of ourselves.

Billikens do not look like a team that beat VT. And their coach was righteously pissed. We need to be careful, especially early, in the 2nd half.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:07 pm

Titans take the Lead!
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:08 pm

Good one, Mik. We can win this thing! Fun game to watch.

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 pm

They said that Coach Travis Ford used a "called play" to free up someone. I'm a Titans' fan; could someone tell me what a "called play" is?
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:20 pm

I will say this: Our zone is killing SLU. Nice work and good plan. The Bills are struggling with being forced to the perimeter and look befuddled.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball