Saint Louis Upset Win Preview and Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Saint Louis Loss Preview and Game Thread

Postby TerryTylerFan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:22 pm

Great win, totally unexpected after that 8-0 run. Maybe a turning point?

Happy Thanksgiving to all, especially those tough Titans who got the holiday weekend off to such a good start!
TerryTylerFan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:24 pm

well said ttf. happy thanksgiving everone!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:32 pm

I thought J.J. did a nice job throughout the game. He called the early time out exactly when he should have and and stopped the 8-0 run. He sat Blacksheer and let Hogan play. I thought he did keep McFolley out a little to long but got him back in in time for the win. Making sure we had the clearout for Chatman was also a good call. He pulled Jr. after a forced shot.
Do you guys realize Moose has predicted every Titan win for thee straight years.

Happy Thanksgiving Titans!
Last edited by upbasketballfan on Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:34 pm

titanmac wrote:as much as i'm happy they're happy, this is only the beginning. nothing to celebrate yet?

A long way to go yet. But we are 3-2 when I thought we'd be 2-3.

Reaction in the A-10 office:

"Holy crap, there goes our conference strength of schedule rating. :( "

Reaction in the HL office:

Holy crap! There goes our conference strength of schedule rating :!: "
Last edited by ptctitan on Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

many here thought we'd be 0-5.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Re: Saint Louis Upset Win Preview and Game Thread

Postby Commissioner » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:32 am

I've changed the heading on this thread. Kind of like Soviet Russia.

This was a team effort. I originally titled it the "loss preview." Moose of course picked the Titans to win, but admitted that was only because he always picks the Titans to win. Tacitus ceded the game 90 seconds in. It took a lot of hard core pessimism to jinx the Billikens and help the Titans win this game.

This was our first win against an Atlantic 10 team since beating Rhode Island 70-68 in the fall of 2013. But then in fairness, we've only played one other A10 game since then--losing to Rhody the next year. We should play A10 teams more often.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:42 am

What a pleasant surprise to wake up over here in Italy and see the Titan win. Forza Titans! Unfortunately, I listened to the doom and gloom and decided to go to bed so I missed watching the game. Never again.

The box score was quite interesting. When was the last time a PG played 30 minutes in a game with zero assists when the team had double digit assists. It gave me the vision of a box and one defense except used as an offensive scheme.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:57 am

StJoeUofD wrote:What a pleasant surprise to wake up over here in Italy and see the Titan win. Forza Titans! Unfortunately, I listened to the doom and gloom and decided to go to bed so I missed watching the game. Never again.

The box score was quite interesting. When was the last time a PG played 30 minutes in a game with zero assists when the team had double digit assists. It gave me the vision of a box and one defense except used as an offensive scheme.

On defense, SLU would run at Corey and then at Josh after he started making shots. And they created baskets for Kam and Jaleel. Plus JJSr got JJJr to tone it down in the second half with only 4 shots taken.

IMO, Corey was the most impressive player on the court for us because he allowed the game to come to him. I think his on-court demeanor and play contributed to the more disciplined 2nd half team performance - ice water under pressure. And, we got 20 minutes out of Hogan. Plus you did not see the zone defense we played against SLU. McFolley was a particularly disruptive force out of that zone. That kept fouls down and forced SLU to take more outside shots.

This turnaround still amazes me. We were 10 seconds away from oblivion vs Houston Baptist when JJJr hit those two 3-pt shots (the second at the buzzer) to send the game to OT where we won handily. Again, last night at crunch time, these guys remained committed, did not panic, and won on a buzzer-beater. And, we won back-to-back - playing two completely opposite styles of ball.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:34 am

I didn't think we'd see Ballantyne getting more playing time than Prince, at least not this early in the season.

Usually when the Titans are involved in a two-point game we're the ones bemoaning free throw shooting. Winning team shoots 86%, losing team shoots 60%. Saint Louis took five more FTs, but we outscored them by one. Difference in the game, and this time it's not us complaining.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:22 am

We might be playing A-10 teams quite a bit once we get invited to join. IJS.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:58 am

we'll get invited to join when we push for it and commit to upgrading our programs
titanmac
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:56 pm

To temper all enthusiasm: we are about 2 seconds away from being 1-4 instead of 3-2. But it's a nice win, to beat a solid Atlantic 10 team that owns a victory Va. Tech.

Free throw shooting, as NCT points out, has been a real strength. We entered last night's game #22 in the country in free throw percentage, and are probably number 15-20 after last night's 13 of 15, depending on what other teams playing shot. We're also shooting a lot of free throws--we're in the top 100 in the nation in free throw attempts per game. This is really big. If we hadn't made 80% of our free throws, we lose to both HBU and St. Louis. Jackson, McFolley, and Allen have been almost automatic at the line. Roschon Prince has made 11 of 13 attempts. Chatman's shooting 75% and even Jaleel is shooting 60%.

Jaleel was very effective last night when in the game. Gotta cut the fouls down--he's fouling more than ever, which is probably in part the new rules and in part him being out of shape and a half step slow.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Wow, we won! Biggest road win in many years!
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:06 pm

whats the point in tempering enthusiasm?
titanmac
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:08 pm

Goodbye BA, thanks for your efforts, but your services are no longer desirable for our current mission.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Hoopster_Now_In_DC wrote:

Goodbye BA, thanks for your efforts, but your services are no longer desirable for our current mission.

+1,000,000
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:50 pm

titanmac wrote:whats the point in tempering enthusiasm?

Tempered metals are stronger?
Commissioner
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:37 pm

titanmac wrote:who moose? 87% from the line and that is the difference. that and a good enough zone defense. too many put backs allowed but only 11 to's and only 16 fouls. the refs let them play tonight and it made it fun to watch. the st. l announcers alluded to our controlling the tempo a couple of times and i'd have to agree .

I agree with this. The FT shooting is a big part of any game. It needs to be emphasized more. These are like free points just waiting to be taken. The zone defense was mostly successful and tended to neutralize the Bills' inside game. Never said it was a perfect game but we played smart...mostly and looked like a team that could win some games for the first time this season.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:39 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:I thought J.J. did a nice job throughout the game. He called the early time out exactly when he should have and and stopped the 8-0 run. He sat Blacksheer and let Hogan play. I thought he did keep McFolley out a little to long but got him back in in time for the win. Making sure we had the clearout for Chatman was also a good call. He pulled Jr. after a forced shot.
Do you guys realize Moose has predicted every Titan win for thee straight years.

Happy Thanksgiving Titans!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your wife, Rich. And thanks for noting the stellar quality of my predictions.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:41 pm

NC Titan wrote:I didn't think we'd see Ballantyne getting more playing time than Prince, at least not this early in the season.

Usually when the Titans are involved in a two-point game we're the ones bemoaning free throw shooting. Winning team shoots 86%, losing team shoots 60%. Saint Louis took five more FTs, but we outscored them by one. Difference in the game, and this time it's not us complaining.

Kind of nice, isn't it?
MooseGuy1
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball