Bacari suspended

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Bacari suspended

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:05 pm

Per Tony Paul on twitter

Confirmed that Detroit Mercy basketball coach Bacari Alexander has been suspended. Hasn't been on bench for last couple games; unclear how long ban will last.

I don't know why Bacari Alexander was suspended by UDM. University won't say. I have heard rumors, but I don't report on rumors. Facts only. Not clear when he'll return, but likely this month.

And here's a link to a separate source

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/11/20/ ... atter/amp/
HSScout1
Senior

Re: Bacardi suspended

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:13 pm

Is this a fireable offense? Based on the rumors? This might be our way out of this awful contract.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Re: Bacari suspended

Postby TitanTarHeel » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:23 pm

Say what you will about BA's performance to date, having any kind of negative/ugly story about our head coach is a huge bummer and can't be a near term positive. But yeah, longer term if he was bound to do some bad things than might as well bite the bullet and have his transgressions occur now and move our separate ways. Terribly disappointed in BA (I've been wallowing in disappointment for this team lately, ugh)

The rest of the season with JJ Sr as Head Coach I don't necessarily have high hopes for. He's way too green and inexperienced in that kind of role. Heck, I'd just have Coach Pat Donnelly from UDJ pull double duty for the Titans and Cubs.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:24 pm

What the rumor? am I missing something here?
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:36 pm

I haven't heard any rumors, but if it's a character issue (and isn't is MOST likely a character issue?!), then BA will look like a total hypocrite for showing Bass his walking papers. Yes, I know it's very likely Bass was ineligible when he left and it's also possible that Bass had zero interest in staying anyway, but BA sure framed the situation as him telling Paris to get lost.

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:42 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:Say what you will about BA's performance to date, having any kind of negative/ugly story about our head coach is a huge bummer and can't be a near term positive. But yeah, longer term if he was bound to do some bad things than might as well bite the bullet and have his transgressions occur now and move our separate ways. Terribly disappointed in BA (I've been wallowing in disappointment for this team lately, ugh)

The rest of the season with JJ Sr as Head Coach I don't necessarily have high hopes for. He's way too green and inexperienced in that kind of role. Heck, I'd just have Coach Pat Donnelly from UDJ pull double duty for the Titans and Cubs.

JJ head coaching tenure is to a better start than first year of BA!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:44 pm

If JJ does take over.. buckle up it's going to be a party
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:11 pm

This was the university's only official announcement contained in the UMD game recap.

http://www.detroittitans.com/news/2017/11/13/mens-basketball-titans-pummel-um-dearborn-105-82.aspx?path=mbball

"Jermaine Jackson '99 served as head coach of the team tonight as Bacari Alexander '99 missed the contest due to personal matters. The athletic department will have no further comment and he will be back to coach this weekend."

"Personal matters" generally means something that is not directly related to his coaching duties. The odd thing here continues to be the university's statement that he would be back to coach last weekend's games. He did not travel with the team.

On the other hand, a suspension for a personal matter means something governed by his employment contract. However, the written statement does not confirm a suspension. It says that BA's absence is an internal personnel matter. To me, this means that it is unrelated to the NCAA.

When Vowels suspended Autumn Rademacher, the university disclosed that it was a suspension and disclosed the reasons for her suspension. Since the university did not issue such a press release here and low keyed his absence last Monday, this suggests something else here is at work. A personal matter means something private that is protected by confidentiality.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:35 pm

This is incredible. The season's barely started and we have a coaching crisis? For real? While I understand the university's reluctance to be more specific, this does nothing but marginalize the basketball program. If you know how few attend our games, we already are way out on the margins. I'm hard pressed to think of a worse debut than this staff has had. Last year was awful, to be sure, but not exactly unexpected when a new staff comes in. But the start of this season is pure disaster. The team looks terrible, players are out of shape, and now our Coach gets a suspension of unknown duration. I don't know where we go from here.

Does anyone know the reason behind the suspension? Hell, in these circumstances, I usually turn to kirky. But he seems as blindsided as everyone else.

We can't get out of our own way. It's like we are determined to destroy our status as a D-1 program.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:43 pm

This sounds something like an internal employee relations issue, or a medical issue. If he had violated Athletic Department rules, the university would have said something.
Last edited by ptctitan on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby sacredheartgreg » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:11 pm

I hope he isn't having an affair with the AD.
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:28 pm

On the coaches show tonight, the university through Cliff Russell reiterated its original statement that BA is not with the team for personal reasons. And he referenced other items in the news when he made this statement.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:57 pm

I am just saying... it's just a crazy idea. Michigan's 2012 recruiting class was very good. they were an Adidas school see below data.
2008 - 283 ranked class
2009 - 34 ranked class
2010 - 82 ranked class
2011 - 42 ranked class
2012 - 8 ranked class
2013 - 14 ranked class
2014 - 30 ranked class
2015 - 107 ranked class
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:06 pm

sacredheartgreg wrote:I hope he isn't having an affair with the AD.

I shouldn't be laughing at this. It's completely inappropriate. Sadly, anything is possible.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby sacredheartgreg » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:08 pm

I am sorry Moose, this is not representative of a sacred heart.
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:09 pm

For those keeping track, so far the theories are: drug use, sexual harassment/affair, violation of NCAA recruiting rules while at Ann Arbor.

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:18 pm

This may be a blessing in disguise. A chance for a do-over. Quick,... what's Lou Dawkins up to?
udballer
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:19 pm

kirky313 wrote:I am just saying... it's just a crazy idea. Michigan's 2012 recruiting class was very good. they were an Adidas school see below data.
2008 - 283 ranked class
2009 - 34 ranked class
2010 - 82 ranked class
2011 - 42 ranked class
2012 - 8 ranked class
2013 - 14 ranked class
2014 - 30 ranked class
2015 - 107 ranked class

Nuh oh. That is certainly an interesting coincidence and maybe bespeaks something very bad. I hope not, though. I mean, if true, wouldn't this be an NCAA issue and not an in-house issue? I want this program to return to its glory days but wonder how much more of this kind of thing will doom it. What the hell is going on in that athletic department? We've had the Gaither deal, Briggs, the Rademacher dust up, various player issues, and now this. It's just too much. Just play the game straight and move us in the right direction! This university has a history of doing good and being a place to be proud of. High standards. Academically, ethically, and spiritually. If (and it's a big if) Bacari did indeed do something to further damage the reputation of the school and program, he should be shown the door and his salary forfeited.

I joke about a lot of stuff, and some of it crosses the line of propriety, but I only want what is best for the institution. We have enough problems without more nonsense in the Athletic Department.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:23 pm

sacredheartgreg wrote:I am sorry Moose, this is not representative of a sacred heart.

Greg, you are one of the most decent people I've ever interacted with at UD. Just that simple. A little levity is sometimes a good thing to break the tension. I have no problem with you. I have to think you're as bothered by this as anyone who supports the Titans.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:26 pm

udballer wrote:This may be a blessing in disguise. A chance for a do-over. Quick,... what's Lou Dawkins up to?

Lou Dawkins is an excellent coach, but I think we can do better. UDM is a sleeping giant and someone needs to wake him up. On a side note, Lou Dawkins' son Christian Dawkins was/is a major player in the Rick Pitino Adidas scandal.
R.B.J1
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball