Fort Wayne Loss Preview & Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Fort Wayne Loss Preview & Game Thread

Postby Commissioner » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:46 am

Fort Wayne

When: Tuesday, November 28, 7:00 p.m.
Where: Memorial Coliseum, Fort Wayne, Indiana
TV: Channel 81, Fort Wayne. You should be able to catch it at Mastodon Net! http://www.gomastodons.com/watch/?Live=588&type=Live
Radio: AM 910 SuperStation

The Titans try to make it 4 in a row on Tuesday with a difficult game at Fort Wayne. The Titans last won four straight in December of 2015, beating Northeastern, Toledo, Bowling Green, and Central Florida. Meanwhile, I'm sticking with pessimistic thread headings.

Fort Wayne ("don't call us IPFW") gives the Titans a real assessment opportunity. Are we the team that nipped St. Louis on the road and comes in 4-2 overall? Or are we the team that lost by 30+ to Virginia Tech (well, OK) and Seattle (What the ...!). The Mastodons (we're playing all the teams with cool mascots this year) have lost at Oakland by 14 and won at UIC by 16. They also lost to Kentucky and to East Tennessee State on Saturday, an upcoming non-conference opponent for the Titans. They come in at 3-3, with all their losses on the road. So this is a good comparison game.

Like new Horizon member IUPUI, future Horizon member IPFW (we all know it's just a matter of time) is a bit of an accidental university. Like IUPUI, Fort Wayne is the result of Purdue and Indiana University pulling together a bunch of satellite programs into a joint venture, this time in the lovely northeast Indana city of Fort Wayne. The combined campus was opened in 1964, and was joined under one administration in 1975. On-campus housing was first offered in 2004. Total student enrollment now tops 14,000, with about 8000 undergrads.

IPFW started playing hoops at the D-III in 1973-74, moved to the NAIA in 1980, and joined NCAA D-II in 1982. The school began the transition to D-I in the 2001 season. The Mastodons had their first winning D-I season under Dane Fife in 2010. They sagged back when Fife left after the 2011 season, but in 2014 they won 25 games. Since then they've had 3 more winning seasons, averaging 20 wins a year. Last year's team beat then 3rd ranked Indiana in Fort Wayne, and played in the College Insider Tournament at season's end. They also beat our Titans along the way, 93-86, at Calihan, in the only other match up ever between these two schools.

Fort Wayne is built around a couple of really good players, senior guard Bryson Scott and junior forward John Konchar. Scott played 16 minutes a game as a freshman at Purdue back in 2014, but his time got squeezed in the second half of his sophomore year and he decided to transfer. He found a good situation at Fort Wayne, averaging over 16 points last year and over 20 this season, including 31 against Oakland. But Scott's three-point shooting has been off so far--from 34% a year ago to just 27% this year.

Konchar, the junior wing, is one of my favorite players, a classic stat stuffer who does a bit of everything. This year, he's averaging 13.7 points, 9.8 rebounds, 3.8 assists, and 3.5 steals. He's a good but selective three point shooter. He doesn't look to shoot from the behind the arc, but he will take it if you give it to him and he's a career 47% shooter from back there. And he finishes inside as well--he's a career 60% shooter from the floor. And he plays 35 minutes a game, game after game. It's no surprise he was a first team All-Summit League player last year.

The other starters are likely to be junior guard Kason Harrell, sophomore forward Jax Levitch, and senior forward Xzavier Taylor (I can envision mom and dad arguing: "With a Z." "With an X." "With a Z." "Let's compromise.") First off the bench is freshman guard Matt Weir, who's been playing more minutes than a couple of starters.

Fort Wayne features a couple of Michigan kids. Dylan Carl, from Alma, was heavily recruited by the Titans during Ray's last season, but inexplicably chose Fort Wayne. The redshirt freshman center averages about 15 minutes per game. Chris Rollins, a redshirt freshman from Detroit, is used sparingly as a backup guard.

Like the Titans, Fort Wayne likes to run, and likes to shoot threes. Indeed, they are 16th in the nation in 3 point attempts per game, so expect to see these two teams fly up and down the court and chuck it from deep. Like last year, come to think of it, when the Titans launched 30 threes in the loss at Calihan (in truth, Fort Wayne took just 17 in that game, about 10 below their season average). That was the game in which Corey Allen set a Titan freshman scoring record with 33 points, including 9-13 from three. Josh McFolley hit 4 of 8 from deep that night to finish with 18 points. But Konchar ate us up in the paint, hitting 9 of 10 shots to finish with 21 points, and Fort Wayne had a solid 37-30 rebounding advantage.

It's amazing what a couple wins can do for they psyche. We barely beat Houston Baptist--F'n Houston Baptist!--in OT, nip a Saint Louis team that most of feel should still be a conference rival, and cream an NAIA squad, and suddenly its back to talk of joining the Atlantic 10 on this list. But this game should tell us something about where we are. Fort Wayne would be very competitive in the Horizon this year, almost certainly predicted for an upper division finish, so a win on the road would indicate that the Titans can get those road wins and contend in the Horizon. A loss means less, unless it's a Seattle-like blowout, which would bring the team and the fans down fast, I think.

The Mastadons are not as good as last year's edition; the Titans are better. But they won last year, and this year the game is at Fort Wayne. It should be fast and a bit wild. And it may just come down to whose scorer has a big night: Bryson Scott or Corey Allen.

A milestone to watch for: Jaleel Hogan needs 3 points to become the 41st Titan to score 1000 points in his career. Wouldn't it be a hoot if he did with a desperation 3 pointer just before the shot clock ran out? Or at least on free throws.

Fort Wayne Probable Starters
G - Bryson Scott, 6-1 RS Sr. (21.7 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 3.7 apg)
G - Kason Harrell, 6-2 Jr. (13.0 ppg, 37.7% 3Pt)
F - Jon Konchar, 6-5 Jr. (13.7 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 3.8 apg, 3.5 spg, 40.0% 3Pt)
F - Jax Levitch, 6-7 Soph (4.7 ppg, 2.5 rpg)
F - Xzavier Taylor, 6-9 RS Sr. (6.3 ppg, 3.8 rpg)

Top Reserves
G - Matt Weir, 6-1 Fr. (5.0 ppg, 3.8 apg, 41.1% 3Pt)
G - Jordan King, 6-4 Sr. (5.3 ppg)
F/C - Dylan Carl, 6-11 RS Fr. (5.2 ppg, 4.0 rpg)
Last edited by Commissioner on Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Re: Fort Wayne Loss Preview & Game Thread

Postby titanmac » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:26 am

they should have huge matchup problems with chatman. the only issue to me is whether to stop konchar and let the rest of the team try and beat you or stop the rest of the team and let konchar try and beat you? need to crash the boards and limit our fouls and we'll be fine.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Given that Purdue has taken over administration of Ft. Wayne and that any enrollees in the IU side of the old IPFW are not eligible to participate in sports, could you say that Bryson Scott transferred to Purdue from Purdue?
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:51 pm

i smell a recruiting violation?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:56 am

titanmac wrote:i smell a recruiting violation?

Probably not when he transferred. The NCAA views Ft. Wayne as a separate institution. However, it's odd because my friend's son is a professor at Ft. Wayne. In the past year, he has changed from telling people that his son taught at IPFW. Now, he tells people that his son is a professor at Purdue. But his son still teaches at Ft. Wayne. Since Purdue is a public university, Ft. Wayne is likely no different than the University of Wisconsin at Green Bay or UW-Milwaukee.

BTW, Ft. Wayne took 28 3-point shots versus UIC. It could be a wild game vs our Titans tomorrow night.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:16 am

in the uic game both teams shot poorly. lots of fouls and a fair amount of turnovers. fw won the battle of the boards by a wide margin with konchar getting 16. where was odiase? uic was 2-18 beyond the arc. if this was a run and gun kind of game its hard to tell by looking at the box but there werent many assts. fw had 9 more shots than uic and therein lies the difference. we've had trouble keeping opponents off the glass. if konchar gets 16 its going to be a long night. since he's 6'5" 205 seems apparent noone was boxing him off the boards? i'd like to see t jones match up against him? not sure of his status.
titanmac
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:45 am

Commissioner wrote:... future Horizon member IPFW (we all know it's just a matter of time) ...

Ain't that the sad truth.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:42 am

sagarin ratings make us a seven point underdog.
titanmac
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:13 pm

titanmac wrote:in the uic game both teams shot poorly. lots of fouls and a fair amount of turnovers. fw won the battle of the boards by a wide margin with konchar getting 16. where was odiase? uic was 2-18 beyond the arc. if this was a run and gun kind of game its hard to tell by looking at the box but there werent many assts. fw had 9 more shots than uic and therein lies the difference. we've had trouble keeping opponents off the glass. if konchar gets 16 its going to be a long night. since he's 6'5" 205 seems apparent noone was boxing him off the boards? i'd like to see t jones match up against him? not sure of his status.

yes, Ft. Wayne is a run and gun team, and yes (Ptctitan) they shoot a lot of threes. I don't know that Konchar got 16 boards against UIC because of a failure to block out. Though obviously UIC didn't shut down Konchar, he's just a very good rebounder. He averages over 9 rebounds a game for his career. He's had games of 19 and 18 rebounds, and 16 multiple times. I think he's just too quick for Odiase, who was probably assigned to Zxavier Taylor and Dylan Carl all night. Also, on the defensive end, UIC probably didn't want Konchar dragging Odiase out from under the basket to keep Konchar from shooting threes. I don't know, but I'm guessing Dixson was the guy on Konchar in that game. Dixson was terrible in that game: 1-11 shooting, 4 turnovers.

I figure Blackshear/Hogan will be on Taylor/Carl. I would guess Chatman will open on Konchar, and I think Chatman can win that battle on both ends. It's possible, though, that Chatman lines up opposite their 6-7 soph Levitch, leaving Corey Allen on Konchar (Konchar would have too big a height advantage, I think, to have McFolley or JJJ on him). If Chatman is on Konchar, however, Corey will probably be on Levitch, giving up a good 4-5 inches. Should be a good game, though.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:53 pm

he's 6'5. uic is not known for their technical prowess. i know rebounds are about desire. nevertheless, taller stronger players should be able to control boards. from 9 boards to 16 is a big difference. someone wasn't paying attention and thats a fair assumption. if he goes off on us like that its going to be a long night.
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:39 pm

titanmac
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:47 am

Commissioner wrote:Fort Wayne

When: Tuesday, November 28, 7:00 p.m.
Where: Memorial Coliseum, Fort Wayne, Indiana
TV: Channel 81, Fort Wayne. You should be able to catch it at Mastodon Net! http://www.gomastodons.com/watch/?Live=588&type=Live
Radio: AM 910 SuperStation

It looks like this is a pay to watch ($5.95) game. Has anybody heard any different?
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:53 pm

Has anyone found the video link? just get a blank page.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:55 pm

I just used the link, no trouble.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:04 pm

Hogan tops 1000 career points in the first 2 minutes.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:09 pm

Konchar is really a nice player. He works, he gets in the right place at the right time.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:16 pm

ten minutes in, we have 4 travels and 6 turnovers.

Corey Allen 0-4 from three.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:26 pm

$5.99 for this. We better win. Like this team should be charging for online access...
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:27 pm

Tied at 28. We have 0 offensive rebounds.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:33 pm

Link works on my computer. My guess is that you need flash player to make link work. iPhone and iPad do not have flash players.
Titan Jim
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball