Fort Wayne Loss Preview & Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Fort Wayne Loss Preview & Game Thread

Postby titanmac » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:35 pm

too many turnovers not enough assist?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Titan Jim wrote:Link works on my computer. My guess is that you need flash player to make link work. iPhone and iPad do not have flash players.

Jim, I just put the charge on my wife's credit card (the banks don't trust me with that sort of thing). She keeps it locked in a closet to prevent impulsive charges. But I know where the key is.

I'm watching it on an I pad.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:42 pm

9-0 Ft. Wayne run to end the half.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:00 pm

Thanks, Moose! Works in my IPad, but not my iPhone.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:12 pm

Down 14 and starting to do playground play. Could get out of hand in the next 2 minutes.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:16 pm

I just found the game live on comcast 900.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:27 pm

I said in the preview this might come down to whether Corey Allen or Bryson Scott had a hot night. Scott has 26. Allen is probably having his worst game of the year. Ft. Wayne up 10 with just under 8 minutes to play.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:11 pm

Can someone please explain to me why Jr led the team in minutes tonight? I get that his 3-11 raised his shooting % and all, but Jesus.

He shoots threes like he's supposed to be good at it so I certainly hope they start falling at better than a 15% clip soon.
udballer
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:12 pm

Allen 0-5 from 3-pt. JJJr 0-6. Josh 2-6. Total 2-17 from 3 point range. We had a chance to win but our shots did not fall tonight. Nice comeback in second half. But not good enough. At SLU, our guards made the big shots. Tonight, they did not. Kam needed one more helper tonight.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:21 pm

udballer wrote:Can someone please explain to me why Jr led the team in minutes tonight? I get that his 3-11 raised his shooting % and all, but Jesus. He shoots threes like he's supposed to be good at it so I certainly hope they start falling at better than a 15% clip soon.

McFolley had 3 fouls in first half. Chatman also played 36 minutes. Allen played 34. It was a team effort by the guards missing their shots tonight. The coach feels that those 3 players plus Jackson and Hogan are our best 5.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:23 pm

ptctitan wrote:
udballer wrote:Can someone please explain to me why Jr led the team in minutes tonight? I get that his 3-11 raised his shooting % and all, but Jesus. He shoots threes like he's supposed to be good at it so I certainly hope they start falling at better than a 15% clip soon.

McFolley had 3 fouls in first half. Chatman also played 36 minutes. Allen played 34. It was a team effort by the guards missing their shots tonight. The coach feels that those 3 players plus Jackson and Hogan are our best 5.

He might be right; they probably are our best. We just had another crap 3 point shooting game.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Oudrummer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:23 pm

udballer wrote:Can someone please explain to me why Jr led the team in minutes tonight?

Because his dad is your new head coach.
Oudrummer
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:33 pm

Oudrummer wrote:
udballer wrote:Can someone please explain to me why Jr led the team in minutes tonight?

Because his dad is your new head coach.

I'm looking for an explanation other than that.
udballer
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:47 pm

Because Daddy thinks JJJr is the best player on the team even though he can't shoot, defend or provide assists. Daddy thinks he is going to the pros.

How does your point guard not get more than 2 assists? One would think he would just keep feeding the ball to Chatman since Chatman can shoot and was hot!

Also, when they were close at the end, why was JJJr shooting? Get the ball to Chatman.

Then again, our interim head coach is a joke and only wants his son to shine. This is so sad.
Titans96
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Chatman took the most shots at 15. But he turned the ball over 6 times. You can't get assists when you feed the shooter and he misses the shot or turns the ball over. Different players got the ball to Kam and got assists. To be fair, it was not just JJJr missing shots tonight. Corey was also 3-11. And we kept Ft Wayne under 50% FG percentage. Josh was in foul trouble late in the first half. JJ did a good job of spotting him through the second half to keep in there. We needed one more jump shooter tonight.

When both Corey and Kam are hitting, we are a tough team. When one of them has an off-night, not as tough. Kam was below his average vs Seattle. That's just the way this team plays at this time. We could have won the game, but our shots did not fall. That's just the way the ball bounces. That's why players have scoring averages. Sometimes, they equal or exceed the average. Several times in a 30+ game season, players will score below their average. That's what happened tonight with Corey.

And it's going to happen several more times this season.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:37 am

Hogan and Chatman were 16 for 23. Everybody else was 11-48, and no one else individually hit better than 33%. In addition to his poor shooting night, Allen had 5 turnovers. None of our forwards--Prince/Ballantyne/Blackshear--were effective tonight. With McFolley in some foul trouble, its logical that Triple J was in the game. He's a good player and going to be very good. He makes freshman mistakes.

I think all these minutes Triple J is getting will pay dividends.
Commissioner
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:05 am

Titans96 wrote:Because Daddy thinks JJJr is the best player on the team even though he can't shoot, defend or provide assists. Daddy thinks he is going to the pros.

How does your point guard not get more than 2 assists? One would think he would just keep feeding the ball to Chatman since Chatman can shoot and was hot!

Also, when they were close at the end, why was JJJr shooting? Get the ball to Chatman.

Then again, our interim head coach is a joke and only wants his son to shine. This is so sad.

T96 I do not know what your purpose is on here but you do come across as a very bitter person and every time you post you readdress just how little you know about basketball and how the game is played. I for one like JJ very much and think he will make an excellent head coach but if BA is our guy then I want him to succeed. A loss is hard for all of us but this team is developing and improving as the season advances. I am expecting more from Prince and Long and think once they start to contribute we will improve quickly.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:46 am

During the run in which we cut the lead to -1 from -16, JJJr got his two assists feeding Chatman for 3-point shots. Also, one of JJJr's missed 3-point shots resulted in a 3-shot foul. He made all 3 foul shots. When the deficit was -1 with under 5 minutes to go, we then got the ball to Chatman for 3 of the next 4 possessions. On the first one to try and tie, Kam was called for an offensive foul. That turned the ball back to FTW which made 2 free throws after Josh's foul on defense. On the next possession, Black missed a lay-up. On the next possession, Kam was fouled and made 1 of 2 throws. On the 4th possession, Kam had the ball stolen from him by Konchar trying to drive the basket when were down 3 with a little over 2 minutes to play. Konchar then made a 3-point shot with 2 minutes left and that was the game.

In other words, with the game on the line, we got the ball to Kam 3 times. For some reason, the perceptions of some posters here differs significantly from the reality of the game as played.

On balance, the loss outweighs the many positives that came from the game. But there were some positives as up...fan and Commissioner have pointed out. Most positive was the fact that this team did not fold and give up when we were down 16 with 12 minutes left. We had our chances, got the ball to the right player at crunch time, but could not score to get us back over the top.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:54 am

It would be great to be positive about this program, but the leadership of this program is terrible at best.

We have three good players in Chatman, Hogan and Allen. Chatman and Allen are not being allowed to excel because of our new ball hog point guard who thinks he is the best player on the team doesn't let the real stars shine. Hogan has had his difficulties this year, which is disappointing, but hopefully he can turn those issues around.

A good coach with any skill and knowledge would focus 90%+ of the offense around those three players. Players who don't pass the ball to those three, and players who shoot more three's than anyone on the team (at a 0%-20% clip - so terrible), should either be told they are not allowed to shoot anything but a layup or they will be benched. If we had a good coach, JJJr would never be allowed to shoot a 3 again until he reached 10 assists. The kid needs to learn how to pass the ball and get assists before he shoots 3 pointers (let alone learn how to play defense). JJJr's goal is to be the highest scorer on the team, when it should be the leading assist maker in the country. The sad part of this is that Daddy will not understand this, is not capable of coaching his kid (or the other players) on how to play properly and is not skilled enough to be our coach.

We are now in danger of achieving a zero-win for December month, with our only real chance at the end of the month in Wisconsin. Unless the coaching staff learns how to coach and manage the players, we will be sadly in the 300's RPI range for the rest of the season. We are already at #246, and December will not be good to us if they don't focus on our three best players.
Titans96
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:56 am

This was the classic example of a too small lineup being unable to prevail over a more balanced team in terms of size and trying to do it on the road as well. There will be more such games. Collectively, the starting guards scored 34 points but took 96 minutes to do it. If you want to include Dre, who plays a steady, competent game, in my view, the numbers are 39 and 116. In the first half, quite a number of long rebounds were missed resulting in second and third chances (some of) which were converted. We have 7'0" and 6' 11" guys who never left the bench in this game, even for a cameo appearance. Rochon, too, is a proven West Coast warrior who can help us, if he's allowed to. Last night, he had an uneven game, one point, five fouls but some good interior defense. Jaleel had his best game (of the year) but was also out late while the guards played too much.

The Commissioner cites the 0-9 run late in the (first) half. He's correct but it was 0-12 spanning halftime. That deficit forced us to play from behind the entire second half after leading 34-30. That we gained back most of the deficit is laudable, as pct points out, but we never got the upper hand and there's a difference playing that way.

96 is too hard on JJ Sr, in my opinion. He coached with passion at Nashville and we pulled out the second game. St Louis was a surprising win; he probably deserves some credit there too. The task is difficult though, juggling a talented group, several of whom are generally accustomed to handling the ball.
dennycrane
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball