Titans' Upset Victory Preview Over IPFW

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Titans' Upset Victory Preview Over IPFW

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:20 pm

Nothing gets the blood pumping more than a tilt with IPFW in the original home of the Detroit Pistons—Fort Wayne. By nothing, of course, I mean waiting in line at the Secretary of State office to renew your driver’s license.

Fort Wayne is a city in northeast Indiana and the home to nearly 265,000 people. Don’t let that fool you; the city feels much smaller. Before we get down to business, a few fun facts:

The city is named for Revolutionary Statesman General Anthony Wayne. So is Wayne County in Michigan and Wayne State University. Tony got around, so it seems.

According to Wikipedia, Fort Wayne's population is racially comprised of 73.62% White, 15.41% Black or African American, 0.37% Native American, 3.3% Asian (1.4% Burmese, 0.4% Indian, 0.3% Vietnamese, 0.2% Chinese, 0.2% Filipino, 0.1% Korean, 0.1% Laotian, 0.1% Thai), 0.06% Pacific Islander, 3.72% from other races, and 3.52% from two or more races. 7.96% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race. Among the Hispanic population, 6.1% are Mexican, 0.4% Puerto Rican, and 0.3% Guatemalan. And every last one of them is boring, reflecting the overall nature of the city.

The annual Johnny Appleseed Festival draws nearly 300,000 people: 265,000 Fort Wayners and 35,000 people caught in traffic. That’s because, back in 1946, the city’s visionary forefathers saw fit to refuse $27,000,000 in federal highway funds, effectively banning limited access expressways in the city. But I-69 does bypass the city to the west. Thank you, God!

Initiated in 1997, Fort Wayne Pride celebrates northeast Indiana's LGBTQ community…both of them.

The Fort Wayne Library System contains 3.1 million volumes. Superficially, this sounds impressive until you consider that Mac’s library has 3.5 million volumes (and not a single capitalization). An even more startling contrast is the Commissioner’s private library. Consisting of 34,528,816 volumes, it's just one short of the Library of Congress and well ahead of…say…Harvard. I’m tempted to mail him titanmike’s copy of “Hot Housewives & Hefty Hooters” and my copy of the “Encyclopedia of the North American Moose” to put him in 1st Place.

Upon arrival tomorrow, the Titans can expect a warm day with temperatures reaching an unseasonably warm 61 degrees under sunny skies.

The Mastodons of IPFW are 10 point favorites against our Titans. The over/under is a robust 170 ½. It appears the books believe it will be a track meet. Could be, but I’d still take the under. I’d also go with the points and the Titans. It’s not like the ‘dons have beaten anyone they wouldn’t reasonably be expected to beat. And they lost to everyone you’d expect them to lose to: Oakland, Kentucky, and East Tennessee State. I feel confident that Detroit-Mercy will win by a surprisingly big margin. The Official Moose Prediction (from the home office in Moose Bay, Minnesota): Detroit-Mercy Titans 91 Fort Wayne Mastodons 74. GO TITANS!!!
MooseGuy1
Senior

Re: Titans' Upset Victory Preview Over IPFW

Postby Motor City Sam » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:45 am

Great job, Moose. Your posts are a big part of what makes this message board my favorite.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:20 am

I agree with Sam, Moose. You are the Henny Youngmann of the message board. Do you have a wife I may take? (Kidding)
dennycrane
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:57 pm

Moose - never before have I taken exception to your brilliance. But, as the founder and sole member of the NIUDAA (Northern Indiana University of Detroit Alumni Association) a/k/a Nooda, I take great exception to your disparaging comments about our region of America. Below are some very important things that you left out of your commentary.

Northern Indiana is the home of many former distinguished Vice Presidents of the US like Schuyler Colfax, Thomas Marshall and, of course, Fort Wayne's own Dan Quayle.

Tony, or Lil Wayne as he was referred to by locals, really didn't get around. Mostly he just traveled up and down the Maumee (Miami) River.

If Lil Wayne had not won the Battle of Fallen Timbers, there wouldn't have been such a thriving metropolis like Toledo. And everyone knows that Michigan coveted this juicy morsel of property. But after the Michigan militia couldn't conquer Perrysburg, they realized there was no hope for getting Toledo. In the end Michigan settled for the rest of the UP just to be a state.

The summary to this history lesson is that Moose is a Wolverine and a UDM fan only because of Fort Wayne. Be kind to those that brung ya.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:03 pm

used to love the burgers at the mad anthony wayne bar and grill located in the belmont hotel next to the wayne campus on cass. its gone now. been gone for a long time.
Last edited by titanmac on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:21 pm

Make fun of Indiana all you want. We have our triple A bond rating, low property taxes, and functioning state government.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:52 pm

You also have Mike Pence, ND, all those ND football fans.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:48 pm

dennycrane wrote:I agree with Sam, Moose. You are the Henny Youngmann of the message board. Do you have a wife I may take? (Kidding)

Henny Youngman is a GREAT comparison.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:49 pm

kirky313 wrote:You also have Mike Pence, ND, all those ND football fans.

Greatest VP in history, greatest university in the world, and the most obnoxious fan base. Good times!
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:25 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:[A]s the founder and sole member of the NIUDAA (Northern Indiana University of Detroit Alumni Association) a/k/a Nooda...

What do you call a member of your org? A Noodie?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:30 pm

"Fort Wayne's own Dan Quayle."

can you spell potatoe?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:07 pm

I was getting too many negative replies when arranging meetings with other Nudies, so I changed the name.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:33 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:
dennycrane wrote:I agree with Sam, Moose. You are the Henny Youngmann of the message board. Do you have a wife I may take? (Kidding)

Henny Youngman is a GREAT comparison.

I don't know about this, gentlemen, but my grandmother lived to 102 and never used glasses. She drank straight from the bottle.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:37 pm

hah! there you have it
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:40 pm

getting killed on the boards--again.
titanmac
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:42 pm

titanmac wrote:getting killed on the boards--again.

Yeah, this seems to be how it'll go. Guard heavy lineup with a propensity to fire away from out deep sets up a lot of rebounds for opponents.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:44 pm

Nobody is shooting well except for Chatman.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:45 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Make fun of Indiana all you want. We have our triple A bond rating, low property taxes, and functioning state government.

I'm not making fun of Indiana--well, maybe the nudies Joe references--I'm making fun of Fort Wayne. Indianapolis and Bloomington are nice places. Fort Wayne is just a snooze.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:46 pm

Commissioner wrote:Nobody is shooting well except for Chatman.

I really like this signing. Chatman has been a revelation for me. I didn't realize how skilled he is.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:51 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:Moose - never before have I taken exception to your brilliance. But, as the founder and sole member of the NIUDAA (Northern Indiana University of Detroit Alumni Association) a/k/a Nooda, I take great exception to your disparaging comments about our region of America. Below are some very important things that you left out of your commentary.

Northern Indiana is the home of many former distinguished Vice Presidents of the US like Schuyler Colfax, Thomas Marshall and, of course, Fort Wayne's own Dan Quayle.

Tony, or Lil Wayne as he was referred to by locals, really didn't get around. Mostly he just traveled up and down the Maumee (Miami) River.

If Lil Wayne had not won the Battle of Fallen Timbers, there wouldn't have been such a thriving metropolis like Toledo. And everyone knows that Michigan coveted this juicy morsel of property. But after the Michigan militia couldn't conquer Perrysburg, they realized there was no hope for getting Toledo. In the end Michigan settled for the rest of the UP just to be a state.

The summary to this history lesson is that Moose is a Wolverine and a UDM fan only because of Fort Wayne. Be kind to those that brung ya.

So, that makes Lil Wayne, what, like 270 years old? Plus a complete career change late in life. I'm very impressed.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball