UCLA preview and game thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: UCLA preview and game thread

Postby udballer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:54 pm

ptctitan wrote:udballer - thanks for the exchange of ideas and opinions here. I base my math mostly on the two segments in the first half during which McFolley played. When he first subbed into the game for JJJr., the score was 16-13 UCLA. When he returned to the bench about 4 and 1/2 minutes later, the score was 36-16 UCLA. Then, Allen and JJJr played together again. The score again narrowed to 42-30 UCLA. Then, McFolley came back in the game for the last 3:13 during which time the score again widened to 52-35 UCLA. I'm looking at the first half because that is when we still had a chance to keep it respectable. The two scoring differentials increased by -17 and -5 when McFolley played. When JJJr and Allen played together, we were -3 and +8 in the first half.

Right or wrong, I think a big piece of that is the fact that he came off the bench in the first place. Not every kid responds positively to coming off the bench. Based on what I've seen over 3 years, I think Josh is one of those kids. I don't think it's a bad attitude thing or lack of effort, either... I simply think it can be a psychological hurdle some people have a tougher time getting over. Either way, the UCLA runs don't appear to have been due to him turning the ball over... and was quite possibly coincidental being that we were destined to see some big UCLA runs in this game trying to go up and down the court with them. Thanks to you too for the discussion. :)
udballer
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:38 pm

From what I've seen I don't think any of the three -- Allen, JJJr and McFolley -- likes coming off the bench. The problem is (1) that we can't play with anyone with all three in the game and (2) that BA didn't foster enough sense of team that the guys are comfortable subbing in and out.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:47 pm

I would guess that BA wanted to have JJJr come off the bench (because that is what coaches do with freshmen who aren’t ready for D1 ball - something he learned from Beilein), then JJJr, JJSr and Vowels found a way for that not to happen. Bye bye BA.
Titans96
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:19 am

Titans96 wrote:I would guess that BA wanted to have JJJr come off the bench (because that is what coaches do with freshmen who aren’t ready for D1 ball - something he learned from Beilein),

So, why is Eli Brooks the starting PG for Michigan? Especially since he is averaging less assists than JJJr?
ptctitan
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:51 am

So, why is Eli Brooks the starting PG for Michigan? Especially since he is averaging less assists than JJJr?

Eli is only averaged 15 minutes a game JJJr averaged 33 minutes a game. You can't compare stats in quantity when someone is averaging more than double the minutes.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:07 am

PTC, you really are confused. Do you even know that Michigan starts 4 guards and they are 12th in the country in assists per game? Also, JDetroit is right, playing less than half the minutes compared to JJJr, he basically has more assists per game than JJJr if you take out the Sienna Heights game and certainly has more assist per minute played. Plus, he doesn’t turn over the ball as much as Simpson and Beilein values that. You just need to pull your head out of the sand and look at the facts. Your boy JJJr is not a D1 caliber player and certainly not the best player on the Titans team and is not going to the NBA.
Titans96
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:39 am

JDetroitTitan wrote:Eli is only averaged 15 minutes a game JJJr averaged 33 minutes a game. You can't compare stats in quantity when someone is averaging more than double the minutes.

Titan96's point was that Beilein never starts freshmen who are not ready for D-1 ball. His argument about Jackson not being ready is the tiresome ball hog who never passes, never gets assists, and always takes the most shots on the team. He cites OU's PG as the paragon of PG's - lifting his argument against JJJr almost exactly from grizzlie fan tweets.

Beilein is starting Eli Brooks because he creates the best flow for the team.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2017/11/28/michigan-wolverines-freshman-eli-brooks-north-carolina/902988001/

Brooks has recorded 14 assists in the last 6 games he has started.

Jackson has recorded 28 assists in the last six games he has started.

Under this analysis, if Jackson is playing twice the minutes of Brooks, he should have at least twice the assists as Brooks if he (Jackson) is ready for D-1 ball. Hey! Look! He has exactly 2x the assists as Brooks over the last six games.

In summary, Beilein has started a freshman PG for the past 6 games. That freshman PG is creating assists at the same rate per minute as our freshman PG, Jackson. Since Beilein would not start a freshman PG if he were not ready for D-1 ball, since assists are the best measure of whether a freshman PG is ready for D-1 ball, and since our Jackson is recording assists at the same rate per minute as Beilein's freshman PG, Eli Brooks, then our freshman PG Jackson must be ready for D-1 ball.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:48 am

Titans96 wrote:PTC, you really are confused. Do you even know that Michigan starts 4 guards and they are 12th in the country in assists per game? Also, JDetroit is right, playing less than half the minutes compared to JJJr, he basically has more assists per game than JJJr if you take out the Sienna Heights game and certainly has more assist per minute played. Plus, he doesn’t turn over the ball as much as Simpson and Beilein values that. You just need to pull your head out of the sand and look at the facts. Your boy JJJr is not a D1 caliber player and certainly not the best player on the Titans team and is not going to the NBA.

Don''t change the argument T96 aka grizzlie fan aka the Phillip Fullmer of this forum. You present opinions. I present statistical facts.

When we play Jackson, McFolley, Allen, and Chatman, according to our roster, we are playing 4 guards, too.

If you are really a Titan fan, then JJJr should be "your boy," too. And that's the case even if he will not make it in the NBA. The fact that you openly advocate against him and his father makes you something other than a Titan. And nothing remotely resembling a fan.

Then, again, maybe you are not grizzlie fan or Fullmer. Maybe you are just Wile E. Coyote. Go back to your cave of conspiracies and try again.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:53 am

We cry uncle 96. We get it. You have a personal beef with the Jackson family and obsess about them night and day. Stop clogging the board with it and instead make the Jacksons the focus of your therapy sessions.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:29 am

It's amazing, we have a Hollywood star on the Board. PTC is really LaVar Ball! His knowledge of basketball and statistics is astounding, and he loves to decipher what other people really mean when they write something!

PTC and TitanTarHeel you obviously don't get it and are blinded by something other than a desire to see the Titans succeed in D1 hoops. My real beef is how this Titan Basketball Program has gone into the dumpster since our "amazing" AD came on board and started forcing JJSr on our head coach and then he booted Ray. Since the AD started imposing his will upon the program, it has gone into a death spiral. I truly want to be excited and proud about the Titan Basketball Program, but there is nothing to be excited and proud about. The program is a joke, it is being run by clowns and everyone on this Board and the Alumni should be embarrassed by the way the AD has handled his duties and managed his staff. So please stop trying to make up reasons why I don't like JJSr, you have no clue. My desire is to see this program rise from the ashes and there is ZERO chance as long as Vowels (incompetent AD) and JJSr (incompetent Coach) are running the show.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:27 pm

Titan96,
We get your arguments, but why rip so much on the kid? For a freshman guard he is doing fine. Not great, but certainly not as bad as you are portraying. Don't punish the kid for the sins of others.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:40 pm

Titans96 wrote:PTC, you really are confused. Do you even know that Michigan starts 4 guards and they are 12th in the country in assists per game?

Fake news again 96. As of the date and time of this post, Michigan ranks 78th with 16.1 assists per game. We rank 98th with 15.6 assists per game.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MBB&division=1
ptctitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:55 pm

ptctitan wrote:
Titans96 wrote:PTC, you really are confused. Do you even know that Michigan starts 4 guards and they are 12th in the country in assists per game?

Fake news again 96. As of the date and time of this post, Michigan ranks 78th with 16.1 assists per game. We rank 98th with 15.6 assists per game.

But Brailen Neely leads the country at 17.9 assists per game on his own. Don't bother checking it, just take it for granted that it's an accurate stat. :lol:
udballer
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:20 pm

ptctitan wrote:

I admit I made a mistake. Sorry, Michigan is #12 in assists, not assists per game.
Titans96
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball