UCLA Game Moose Preview

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

UCLA Game Moose Preview

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:12 pm

The Detroit-Mercy Titans (4-3) are in Los Angeles Sunday night to take on the UCLA Bruins (6-1, their only stumble a loss to Creighton in Kansas City). Last time out the Titans lost 91-82 to Fort Wayne in Fort Wayne (that’s kind of a form of compound punishment.) For the Bruins, they defeated CSU-Bakersfield, again the margin was 9, but in UCLA's favor and at home in Westwood.

Interlude for a personal story:

Once, many years ago, I drove from Fort Wayne to Los Angeles nonstop (not counting a 90 minute power nap in Utah). I made the trip in 47 and a half hours, with the help of multiple logbooks. The freight got there, if not safely, at least on time. I then slept for 21 hours, awakening in the LAX Airport Travelodge with no idea how I got from the factory in suburban Santa Fe Springs to the Travelodge on West Century Boulevard near the airport. The comedown from Dexedrine and sleep deprivation is nothing to trifle with. Kids, do not try this at home.

Now back to our regular programming:

Tomorrow’s showdown at the famed Pauley Pavilion is being marketed as “Bruin ‘B’ Superhero Cape Giveaway Night”. Unsubstantiated reports have Detroit-Mercy’s acting head coach Jermaine Jackson, in the spirit of the 2017-18 Bruins, managing to acquire (read “shoplift”) two of the capes: One for himself and one for Junior.

On the surface this looks like an easy win for UCLA. When I suggested that notion to Coach JJ, he just smiled and casually stuck a needle in a little doll that vaguely resembled Bacari Alexander, replying “Well, Moose, apparently you’ve never heard of atavism.”

Not wanting to appear stupid, I said, “I’m not as stupid as I look. I’ve got a bottle of Atavism just to get me through the game.”

Jermaine, always the diplomat, shook his head pitifully, stuck another pin into Malibu Bacari, and said, “I didn’t say ‘Ativan’; I said 'atavism'.”

“You say tomato, I say moose.”

“I say you’ve taken too many blows to the head.”

Apparently, atavism is not a tranquilizer at all. It’s a return, or throwback, to an earlier time. In this case, the last game between the Titans and Bruins, back in 1999. A game in which the Titans defeated UCLA 56-53 in the NCAA Tournament. Coach J is of the belief that a reexamination of that storied victory will inspire today’s team to defeat the Bruins on Sunday. To that end, he has been forcing all of his players to sit in a dark film room and view footage of that game every day instead of enjoying the many charms of Southern California. All but JJ Jr., who Daddy proudly stated, “…has nothing more to learn.” When I had the temerity to ask how his offspring was spending his off hours, he matter of factly informed me that Junior was staying at the nearby Playboy Mansion at night and teaching the LA Lakers how to play point guard during the day.

“Sounds fair to me.”

Tomorrow should be a beautiful day in the LA Basin (at least until 6:00 P.M.), with sunny skies and temperatures in the upper 60s, maybe even touching 70. It will be a bit windy though, not that the Titans will notice because, as Jaleel Hogan wryly explained, “We’ve been sitting in a film room all day with Jermaine Jackson; we wouldn’t notice a typhoon.”

Out in Vegas, the books do not seem to be sold on the Doctrine of Atavism, installing the Titans as 20 ½ point dogs. The over/under is another whopping figure of 176 ½. Still, as big a total as that is, I’ve learned my lesson from the Fort Wayne game: Take the over. But also take the Titans—because I’m a believer. The Official Moose Prediction (from the home office in stunning Moose Lake, Maine): Detroit-Mercy Titans 90 UCLA Bruins 88. GO TITANS!!!
MooseGuy1
Senior

Re: UCLA Game Moose Preview

Postby Motor City Sam » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:04 am

Don't mess with the Dex...
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:22 am

With Bill Walton doing the commentary for this game, it should be an interesting telecast on the PAC 12 Network. Note its availability on Sirius XM Radio.

LOS ANGELES – The Bruins (6-1) will host Detroit Mercy (4-3) in a non-conference showdown on Sunday evening in Pauley Pavilion. Game time is 6 p.m. (PT). UCLA's men's basketball game will take place after the No. 7 UCLA women's basketball team hosts UC Santa Barbara at 1:30 p.m. (PT) in Pauley Pavilion that afternoon.

GAME INFORMATION
Venue: Pauley Pavilion (13,800)
Tipoff Time: 6:05 p.m. PT
Television: Pac-12 Network
TV Talent: Roxy Bernstein (play-by-play), Bill Walton (analyst)
Radio (UCLA Sports Network from IMG): AM 1150
Radio Talent: Josh Lewin (play-by-play), Tracy Murray (analyst)
SIRIUS/XM Channels: Ch. 132/Ch. 197
SIRIUS App. Channel: Ch. 959
ptctitan
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:22 pm

Isn't the game on 910 Superstation locally?
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:33 pm

MooseGuy1 wrote:Isn't the game on 910 Superstation locally?

Yes, but that looks like its form the UCLA side.

Plus, my cable carries Pac12 Network! :D

Enter your zip code here:

http://pac-12.com/getpac-12networks
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:35 pm

MotownTitan wrote:
MooseGuy1 wrote:Isn't the game on 910 Superstation locally?

Yes, but that looks like its form the UCLA side.

Plus, my cable carries Pac12 Network! :D

Enter your zip code here:

http://pac-12.com/getpac-12networks

Thanks, Motown. I'm not sure I have PAC12 coverage. I'll have to check that.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Well, this isn't off to a good start. But hope springs eternal here at Moose HQ.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball