Toledo Loss Preview

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Toledo Loss Preview

Postby The-Dude » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:46 pm

Ahhh, back in familiar territory...
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:50 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Oakland and NKU lose today too, the Horizon is up for grabs.

HL is a total joke. In other news, Loyola is 8-1 and having a close battle with #5 Florida right now. Good thing they dominated HL and proved themselves before leaving.

Loyola gets the upset win, 65-59.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 pm

ptctitan wrote:Never would have come down to the last play if we rebounded their missed shots in the first half. We were lucky to have made it this close. Though I don't know why we had a 6'1" guy on a 6'7" guy at the end.

If we were back at in a mid court zone McFolly wouldn't have had to guard the 6'7" guy unless he wanted to take his shot from 90 ft. out.We need McFolley on the floor in crunch time, he is a gamer.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:07 am

This team needs a lot if work BA. Players don’t know how to communicate on defense. Toledo had way too many uncontested shoots tonight. Players on the team not fighting through screens. Other players not switch on the pick fast enough. The offense tonight has no identity. The game got out of control from us to quickly early on. After that
are player shut down until Blackshear and Josh put some life back into the team. I wish the rest of the team could have the drive an heart of Hogan, Blackshear and Josh. These guys play both sides of the court. I wish I could say that for everyone on the team.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 am

Tacitus651 wrote:

HL is a total joke. In other news, Loyola is 8-1 and having a close battle with #5 Florida right now. Good thing they dominated HL and proved themselves before leaving.

Loyola has a ton of money and the Chicago market. That's what made them attractive. U of Detroit doesn't have the same positives, so winning has got to be part of their package if they want to leave.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:03 am

upbasketballfan wrote:If we were back at in a mid court zone McFolly wouldn't have had to guard the 6'7" guy unless he wanted to take his shot from 90 ft. out.We need McFolley on the floor in crunch time, he is a gamer.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out that this game should not have come down to that one play. We used the same defense on the last shot that we used against St. Louis on their last shot. Also, I'm not questioning why McFolley was on the court for the final play. I was questioning why he guarded that guy as opposed to a shorter player.

JDetroitTitan wrote:Toledo had way too many uncontested shoots tonight.

No doubt. But they also missed a lot of their first shots. Our defenders were not in position to rebound the misses. And our bigger players did not execute basic rebounding fundamentals. I saw instances where Hogan and Chatman were under the basket instead of in proper position. In the end, we lost by one shot. Toledo had 14 offensive rebounds and 14 second chance points. We were out-rebounded 44-32. That's one reason why Toledo's shooting percentage was so high. Better defensive rebounding and we exiit the first half with a 4-6 point lead instead of a 4 point deficit.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:15 am

ptctitan wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:If we were back at in a mid court zone McFolly wouldn't have had to guard the 6'7" guy unless he wanted to take his shot from 90 ft. out.We need McFolley on the floor in crunch time, he is a gamer.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out that this game should not have come down to that one play. We used the same defense on the last shot that we used against St. Louis on their last shot. Also, I'm not questioning why McFolley was on the court for the final play. I was questioning why he guarded that guy as opposed to a shorter player.

JDetroitTitan wrote:Toledo had way too many uncontested shoots tonight.

No doubt. But they also missed a lot of their first shots. Our defenders were not in position to rebound the misses. And our bigger players did not execute basic rebounding fundamentals. I saw instances where Hogan and Chatman were under the basket instead of in proper position. In the end, we lost by one shot. Toledo had 14 offensive rebounds and 14 second chance points. We were out-rebounded 44-32. That's one reason why Toledo's shooting percentage was so high. Better defensive rebounding and we exiit the first half with a 4-6 point lead instead of a 4 point deficit.

McFolley went out and bought the car but we did not have anyone sharp enough to know how to bring it home. All you ask for as a coach is your team to get you in a situation to win a game and then you as the mentor are supposed to bring the win home.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:44 am

upbasketballfan wrote:I do not care for BA's decisions so far. We are up by 7 and gaining momentum and he subs everyone out. Does the other coach a favor and then when we are down by 4, now he puts Allen and Chatman back in. We do not have a firm rotation in our 9th game? Sort of reminds me a lot of his poor coaching last year. Where are our so called fans? Guess I'll have to drive 550 miles to put someone in the seats seeing as some on here can not drive a half hour to show support.

Sort of reminds me of your continued disdain for him. Regardless, yes I didn't like the substitution which took Allen OUT of the game, when he was on fire. I have no problem with him being put back in, but unfortunately he was cold. As for the fans, happy to have you at Calihan UP, but complaining to us here on the board is futile. If you're on this board, most often your coming to games.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:47 am

upbasketballfan wrote:I do not care for BA's decisions so far. We are up by 7 and gaining momentum and he subs everyone out. Does the other coach a favor and then when we are down by 4, now he puts Allen and Chatman back in. We do not have a firm rotation in our 9th game? Sort of reminds me a lot of his poor coaching last year. Where are our so called fans? Guess I'll have to drive 550 miles to put someone in the seats seeing as some on here can not drive a half hour to show support.

Sort of reminds me of your continued disdain for him. Regardless, yes I didn't like the substitution which took Allen OUT of the game, when he was on fire. I have no problem with him being put back in, but unfortunately he was cold. As for the fans, happy to have you at Calihan UP, but complaining to us here on the board is futile. If you're on this board, most often your coming to games.
titanmike
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:36 am

Did anyone see Tariq Jones or know if he is coming back?
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:40 am

Tough loss last night, with some moral victories to take from it? Perhaps yes with how the guys fought back. If this is part of the process of getting this team tougher then I'm good with a game that aids in that even if its a L. As a young, mish mash team of guys still coming together we need to develop.

Defense Observations
- It's been noted a few times on here but my gosh, we gave up a ton of offensive rebounds which Toledo used to pummel us
- We gave up SOOOOOO many layups and easy baskets around the rim. I don't know if a shot chart exists out there but that is indicative of our (1) poor defense, (2) poor rebounding. We made it waaaay too easy for Toledo.
- Having said that, Toledo also hit their 3's, the contested ones and the open ones
- Our defense was a real liability last night and we must make opponents work much harder on that end of the court

Offense
- Corey didn't have a great game overall. I thought he selfishly hoisted some bad shots. As a veteran he's just got to be better.
- Kam continues to impress. The comeback was all about Kam and Josh. Kam's length and ability to handle the ball on the perimeter really makes him something out there. He also plays in control, as opposed to say Paris Bass who had many of the same skills yet did many careening adventures into the lane
- JJJ need to just chill on the offensive end. STOP SHOOTING. His stats speak for themselves at this point and he needs to settle in and instead be a facilitator of the offense to help others guys score. He kept clanging the rim in the 2nd half when I'd much rather have seen other options. He's growing. He's a freshmen PG and we are merely in early December. There's a lot to like from JJJ and his ceiling seems high based on some flashes he shows. Meanwhile he should focus on less on getting his, and instead help Kam, Corey and others lead the way on scoring.
- This team continues to love hoisting bad/contested shots. It drives me a crazy. Black came on in the 2nd half at one point and on his 1st possession threw up some awful, distance leaning shot that....missed. Wasted possession and we just can't waste possessions on the offensive end.
- Hogan still ain't right, on either end of the court.

Tough loss, way to fight back, some things to like, some things to hate but I'm more optimistic for this team than I have been. Go Titans
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:13 am

TitanTarHeel wrote:Tough loss last night, with some moral victories to take from it? Perhaps yes with how the guys fought back. If this is part of the process of getting this team tougher then I'm good with a game that aids in that even if its a L. As a young, mish mash team of guys still coming together we need to develop.

Defense Observations
- It's been noted a few times on here but my gosh, we gave up a ton of offensive rebounds which Toledo used to pummel us
- We gave up SOOOOOO many layups and easy baskets around the rim. I don't know if a shot chart exists out there but that is indicative of our (1) poor defense, (2) poor rebounding. We made it waaaay too easy for Toledo.
- Having said that, Toledo also hit their 3's, the contested ones and the open ones
- Our defense was a real liability last night and we must make opponents work much harder on that end of the court

Offense
- Corey didn't have a great game overall. I thought he selfishly hoisted some bad shots. As a veteran he's just got to be better.
- Kam continues to impress. The comeback was all about Kam and Josh. Kam's length and ability to handle the ball on the perimeter really makes him something out there. He also plays in control, as opposed to say Paris Bass who had many of the same skills yet did many careening adventures into the lane
- JJJ need to just chill on the offensive end. STOP SHOOTING. His stats speak for themselves at this point and he needs to settle in and instead be a facilitator of the offense to help others guys score. He kept clanging the rim in the 2nd half when I'd much rather have seen other options. He's growing. He's a freshmen PG and we are merely in early December. There's a lot to like from JJJ and his ceiling seems high based on some flashes he shows. Meanwhile he should focus on less on getting his, and instead help Kam, Corey and others lead the way on scoring.
- This team continues to love hoisting bad/contested shots. It drives me a crazy. Black came on in the 2nd half at one point and on his 1st possession threw up some awful, distance leaning shot that....missed. Wasted possession and we just can't waste possessions on the offensive end.
- Hogan still ain't right, on either end of the court.

Tough loss, way to fight back, some things to like, some things to hate but I'm more optimistic for this team than I have been. Go Titans

I feel like the hoisted shots comment on Allen, should be amended to say the whole team(which you kind of did later). Kam didn't impress me last night and I feel like it was one of his worst games as a TItan thus far. For the most part I like him and what he brings, last night not so much. His defense was very suspect, slow to his man. Poor rebounding effort and hustle(most of team).
titanmike
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:26 am

uofdmik2008 wrote:Did anyone see Tariq Jones or know if he is coming back?

He is in photos with the team at UCLA. This would have been the first week that he possibly could have been ready to play according to JJ's comment during the Nov 20th Coaches Show. He was on crutches at that time.

TitanTarHeel - JJJr had 4 assists and no TO's last night. He took only 11 shots, 4th most on the team. In the past two games, he is 7-14 from 3-pt range. Last night, he was 3-6 from 3-pt range. Also, I would disagree with your opinion about Corey vs Kam. I thought Corey played a much better game than Kam last night. Agree with you on Black and Hogan. Agree with you on rebounding. Toledo got a lot of lay-ups from offensive rebounds. All of our bigger players did not rebound well on Toledo missed shots.
Last edited by ptctitan on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby DetroitRocket » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:41 am

Motor City Sam wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:

Loyola has a ton of money and the Chicago market. That's what made them attractive. U of Detroit doesn't have the same positives, so winning has got to be part of their package if they want to leave.
\

I lived in Chicago for a long time and can guarantee that almost nobody cares about their basketball program. They are averaging 1,800 fans for their five home games.
DetroitRocket
Junior

Postby Motor City Sam » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:25 pm

And yet they were invited into the MVC. They must have had something that the conference found attractive. They weren't winning like Butler, Xavier, Valpo, etc.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:46 pm

ptctitan wrote:

He is in photos with the team at UCLA. This would have been the first week that he possibly could have been ready to play according to JJ's comment during the Nov 20th Coaches Show. He was on crutches at that time.

NC Titan - JJJr had 4 assists and no TO's last night. He took only 11 shots, 4th most on the team. In the past two games, he is 7-14 from 3-pt range. Last night, he was 3-6 from 3-pt range. Also, I would disagree with your opinion about Corey vs Kam. I thought Corey played a much better game than Kam last night. Agree with you on Black and Hogan. Agree with you on rebounding. Toledo got a lot of lay-ups from offensive rebounds. All of our bigger players did not rebound well on Toledo missed shots.

of note, it was not NC Titan, but Titan Tarheel
titanmike
Senior

Postby titandave » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:14 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:Defense Observations
- Our defense was a real liability last night and we must make opponents work much harder on that end of the court.

Agree, our defense in the paint was poor, at times it appeared there was a lack of effort. Having Tariiq Jones in the line up would have made a difference; possible enough of a difference to have won the game.
titandave
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:15 pm

titanmike wrote:
ptctitan wrote:

NC Titan - JJJr had 4 assists and no TO's last night. He took only 11 shots, 4th most on the team. In the past two games, he is 7-14 from 3-pt range. Last night, he was 3-6 from 3-pt range. Also, I would disagree with your opinion about Corey vs Kam. I thought Corey played a much better game than Kam last night. Agree with you on Black and Hogan. Agree with you on rebounding. Toledo got a lot of lay-ups from offensive rebounds. All of our bigger players did not rebound well on Toledo missed shots.

of note, it was not NC Titan, but Titan Tarheel

Thanks for pointing out my error. It is corrected.
ptctitan
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball