A Very Moosey Take On The Bacari Situation

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

A Very Moosey Take On The Bacari Situation

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:00 pm

The longer this goes on, the less likely it is that Bacari Alexander returns as head coach.

It’s been my understanding that BA said something of a profane nature to a player on the MBB team. I tend to believe this, not because I have any inside information but from what I’ve heard from those who are in the know.

This claim has also been vouchsafed by those close to the program, mainly Tom Buysse who publically posted in the other thread: “Because BA coach's the men's team, not the women's team. It was a player. Don't start making this even worse than it already is. A player talked to his parents and it went from there.” Tom does not dump on the program, nor does he pass along provocative rumors. He is very circumspect in what he says, both privately and publically. I tend to trust him.

Okay, let’s assume for a moment that BA’s offense is the dressing down of a player during practice. This raises a number of issues:

It appears, on the surface, to be an overreaction to the offense. If Bacari can get a 6 or 7 game suspension (and still growing) for a profane outburst at a player, it had to be world-class profanity. In college athletics, colorful language from coaches seems to be de rigueur. Bobby Knight had a long and storied career using profane, obscene, and blasphemous language on a daily basis. (I heard it from a reliable source that when he woke up in the morning, Mrs. Knight would say “Good morning, dear.” And Bob would tell he to go f*** herself and tip over the vanity.) He’s just one of many foulmouthed coaches. Yet I’ve never heard of a player complaining to his parents or the AD over it. I’m not defending that kind of talk, as I find it boorish and indicative of a person who is unable to express themselves well. The point is that there had to be something very special about this particular outburst to warrant such a response from the university, which leads me to some uncomfortable conclusions.

We know that Jermaine Jackson was championed by the AD’s office to be hired as an assistant for Ray. It’s likely that the same stipulation was in place for the Alexander regime. My guess—and it’s just a guess—is that Vowels wanted to hire JJ to replace Ray but ran into objections from the university President and influential alumni due to JJ having no head coaching experience at this level, as well as a less than sterling reputation as a high school coach. As someone said, there was a lot of drama with Jackson.

At this point, Vowels had to do a couple of things, one easy, one difficult. Canning Ray was the easy part, because most people who follow the program believed that Ray had hit his ceiling. Firing him was, if not universally popular, not strongly objected to by most, save Moose. The hard part for Vowels was hiring Bacari Alexander as head coach. My guess is that he always preferred JJ but the time just wasn’t right for reasons I stated in a previous paragraph. Bacari is an impressive man, at least from a distance. I should add that I’ve never perceived Alexander as a loose cannon. He says the right things and is easy to like and support. Just remember his initial speech. It was good and gave no indication of a man struggling with his own plans or moral compass. I was a fan of Ray but even I had to admit that Bacari appeared to be a good choice for Head Coach.

Now here is where I get conspiratorial, theoretical, and just shooting from the hip. But I feel it makes a certain sense:

Jermaine Jackson would not be happy to play second fiddle indefinitely. He is driven, if nothing else. This probably created tension between the former teammates from the jump. Jermaine also has a son who I’d bet Mac’s life on believes will one day be in the NBA. If Bacari played Jr. anything less than 36 minutes a game, regardless of performance, JJ would seethe. He already knew that he had a big booster in AD Vowels, so the next step was sabotaging Bacari’s position.

So one fine day, after another disheartening performance, BA let’s some players have it. Perhaps he even calls out the future NBA star, making him the primary (but not only) target of his wrath. JJ then encourages said player (let’s call him Jermaine Jackson Jr., for lack of a better term) to narc on Bacari. AD Vowels then calls aside JJ Sr. and they have a chat. Senior dutifully undercuts Alexander, perhaps suggesting that Bacari has lost the team and it’s in danger of imploding through player defections. AD Vowels calls the President (not Trump, the guy who dresses better) and passes along the dire circumstances about the State of the Titans. Garibaldi sighs, agreeing that a disaster for our flagship sport is looming on the horizon. But Garibaldi is a smart man. He knows that showing Bacari the door will cost us some money we really don’t have to waste and might be very unpopular with a segment of the alumni and fan base. Which leads to this weird, open ended suspension.

My guess is that the sticking point is salary. In particular, Bacari is asking for all his money because he rightfully knows he’s getting a platinum level screwing from the AD and his former friend. Vowels, as far as withholding all or part of BA’s remaining salary for the silly reason of a misplaced “F” word, probably has no leg to stand on and is trying to find a way to dismiss Alexander for some variety of intolerable “Moral Turpitude” and under the aegis of the university President and Board. But you just can’t get canned for swearing at a player! The sports world doesn’t work like that, as my Bobby Knight example so wonderfully demonstrates. Therefore, Vowels, with the aid of JJ, try to paint Bacari in the worst light possible in order to make him go away quietly and inexpensively. Perhaps they even manage to find a greater violation of ethics (real, or cut from whole cloth, or anything in between) and threaten BA with professional ruination. Then they lowball Bacari with an insulting buyout figure. Let’s assume that Bacari sees the writing on the wall, calls shenanigans, and let’s Vowels, in no uncertain terms, know just what the “F” word sounds like coming from his mouth…perhaps concluding with “…you.” He already knows his days of coaching the Titans are caput and it’s time for damage control. So…he does what I’d do: retains an attorney to navigate these waters in a way that concludes with him getting a full buyout and allowing him to maintain his reputation. Negotiations take a long time, though, which explains why this has gone on so long.

Bacari isn’t coming back. Probably doesn’t want to at this point. It would indeed be an untenable situation unless JJ resigned—and that happens when mooses fly out of my butt. Simply put, the negotiations are in progress and may take a while if each side is entrenched in their relative positions.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Re: A Very Moosey Take On The Bacari Situation

Postby Titans96 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:30 pm

BOOM!!! Moose with the mic drop!
Titans96
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:32 pm

If BA doesn't return -- and I'm not stating an opinion of that either way -- I think the school should have a chat with Willie Green about his plans.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:51 pm

No more Titan alums. We need to think outside the box and get a real coach who has coached in high school and college, and is known as a leader of men.

We also need a new AD.
Titans96
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:52 pm

NC Titan wrote:If BA doesn't return -- and I'm not stating an opinion of that either way -- I think the school should have a chat with Willie Green about his plans.

Don't let UDBaller hear you say that.* Shorter coaching resume than JJ.

*P.S. Or I guess Titans96 either.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:52 pm

Let's pretend for the moment that Moose just nailed it.

In that circumstance, who wants JJ to be the head coach? Just wondering. It's an excellent hypothetical.
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:54 pm

Commissioner wrote:
NC Titan wrote:If BA doesn't return -- and I'm not stating an opinion of that either way -- I think the school should have a chat with Willie Green about his plans.

Don't let UDBaller hear you say that.* Shorter coaching resume than JJ.

*P.S. Or I guess Titans96 either.

You're right. He's also not deserving of the head coach position. I guess you have to be a 1000+ point scorer at the University to make the list these days.
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:56 pm

Maybe we should see if Brandon Cotton would like to coach the team?
udballer
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:02 pm

I really hope Moose is wrong about this, that would be really dirty if Judas...I mean Jermaine Jackson did these things to BA. If these allegations are true I would not be able to root for Judas Jackson or the titans,until he was removed as the head coach. Vowels needs to get this thing settled quickly.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:04 pm

I thought about Big Willie also, but I can't see him leaving the bay area and the Warriors to return to UDM.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:41 pm

If Moose is right, we need to go out and get the best Big East Assistant that is available.
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:04 am

MooseGuy1 wrote:Okay, let’s assume for a moment that BA’s offense is the dressing down of a player during practice.

Apparently it is alleged it was slightly more than a dressing down, and then an overreaction by the player and his family with regard to the incident and their demanded consequence$. Stupid all the way around but expect BA back.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:11 am

Moose - don't assume anything and don't make more assumptions based upon those prior assumptions.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:14 am

I think I am going to start my silent protest for BA. Wear Michigan gear to the basketball games until he comes back.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:22 am

JDetroitTitan wrote:I think I am going to start my silent protest for BA. Wear Michigan gear to the basketball games until he comes back.

You'll just blend in.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:33 am

Tacitus651 wrote:
JDetroitTitan wrote:I think I am going to start my silent protest for BA. Wear Michigan gear to the basketball games until he comes back.

You'll just blend in.

Sad to say you are right. Anyway I don't have any Michigan gear in my closet just Titan gear.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:39 pm

What would be funny if all this speculation is for naught and coach is back sometime this week to coach!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Not sure if it would be funny (as we still had a missing head coach for 6 games), but it would certainly mean these threads were a waste of time. However, there isn't much else going on here... so it's helped to pass the time. :)
udballer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:45 pm

The worst part about this BA suspension is that it's going to make ripping on OU about their drug lord professor a little less special. We lose some of our moral high ground. The trial is set to begin after the new year and it will undoubtedly be news in metro Detroit when we play the Pioneers. I'm still going to have a field day with it. But, yeah, BA made it less special and for that I'll never forgive him.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:28 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:What would be funny if all this speculation is for naught and coach is back sometime this week to coach!

My sources say he will be back tomorrow.
titanmike
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball