Priest on the bench

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Priest on the bench

Postby sacredheartgreg » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:50 pm

I am watching the Villanova game on TV tonight and couldn't help but notice a priest on the end of their bench. With our current situation, it seems perhaps we could benefit with some religious involvement. Probably no interest from the athletic department, I'm sure. Just a thought, we are a Jesuit University.
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Re: Priest on the bench

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:11 pm

I think we should get a Sister of Mercy on the bench. I've worked with many catholic orders of priests, brothers and nuns, and the sisters are by far the most intimidating.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:14 pm

Hah Tacitus, you beat me to it. Good job! The nun should be carrying a thick meter stick. :D
ptctitan
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:15 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I think we should get a Sister of Mercy on the bench. I've worked with many catholic orders of priests, brothers and nuns, and the sisters are by far the most intimidating.

Yeah, that would do the trick. She'd kick butt and take names but I'd be scared she'd come after me for something. And I'm an inveterate coward. I'll fight some people but not a Sister of Mercy. I ain't that stupid.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:52 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I think we should get a Sister of Mercy on the bench. I've worked with many catholic orders of priests, brothers and nuns, and the sisters are by far the most intimidating.

Yea, great Idea. Let's have the ones that haven't given a rat's a** about the Athletic Department since the "merger' start showing up at games. :roll:
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:32 am

I know other schools, such as the Villanova example, have priests as chaplains for the various teams. Their involvement can vary from a periodic prayer or blessing, to coming to all the games and being there with the team. It's not a bad idea for ol UDM, but not sure we have quite enough bodies - Jesuits or Sisters, to make that happen. Loyola Chicago does a real nice job with this and would be a great peer to benchmark, but again they have many Jesuits right there on/across the street from campus.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:43 am

ND has a chaplain that goes to most games. Fun fact, every department at ND has a chaplain. On a monthly basis he comes around and checks up on us. I'm guessing most catholic schools no longer have that capacity given the decline in religious.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Dick Vitale » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:45 am

Didn't BA have a few roman collars behind the bench last season? Staudenmaier, Cavanaugh, Hipskind a few times...

I've seen the sisters at both the men's an women's games. They are undercover without habits.

Sr. Beth in particular is a regular.
Dick Vitale
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:08 am

Dick Vitale wrote:I've seen the sisters at both the men's an women's games. They are undercover without habits.

"Undercover": That's funny. :lol:
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball