A Titan Challenge to BA

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

A Titan Challenge to BA

Postby JDetroitTitan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:56 am

This team needs to play fundamental basketball. I will donate $100 to the athletic department only if in the next game I see players boxing out on every shot. Player communicating on defense on the pick and roll. Players fighting through screens. Players on defense picking up on the cutters to the hoop to eliminate the easy dish off for an uncontested shoot (all shoots need to be contested). Player playing both sides of the court. Moving the ball on offense give it up to the open man. If you drive the ball and there is two to three defenders on you there is one to two guys wide open to shoot an uncontested shoot. Players moving to get open on offence.

BA if there is a player on the court that needs to remember how to play good fundamental basketball he needs to be told right away. I will donate it Monday during the lunch hour so BA be in your office to collect the donation to the Athletic department if you win the challange. I am putting my money were my mouth is. I work hard for it and I am only donating it if you work hard for it. Please if any alumni is will to add to this donation challenge please post it.

***Winning or losing will not change the outcome of playing good fundamental Basketball**
Last edited by JDetroitTitan on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Re: A Titan Challenge to BA

Postby sacredheartgreg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:23 pm

Jdetroittitan- I don't know who you are, but you appear to be real astute student of the game. I saw many of the same things you saw last night. Help defense does not start and end with the ball. There was no second tier (if you will) "help defense" executed last night. Gotta pick up those cutters to the basket. I can also tell you are a dedicated Titan fan that only wants the best for the team and program; for this I commend you!
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:15 pm

$100 wouldn't even pay for the new "One Love" warmup tshirts that our kids sported last night. I'm convinced BA spent his entire suspension designing those shirts.

We are a run and gun team that plays little defense. We played a TON of defense against Siena Heights. I don't know why we don't play like that more often, and honestly I was a bit embarrassed that we kept pounding Siena Heights like that until the last second. Defense against SLU was good. Not great but good enough to win.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:We are a run and gun team "

Let me ask you one question what solid college basketball program runs down the court to have one player create a shoot or jack up a three?

Tacitus651 wrote:$100 wouldn't even pay for the new "One Love" warmup tshirts that our kids sported last night. I'm convinced BA spent his entire suspension designing those shirts.

If you want to add to this amount feel free to make it more relevant to the program.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:28 pm

JDetroitTitan wrote:This team needs to play fundamental basketball. I will donate $100 to the athletic department only if in the next game I see players boxing out on every shot. Player communicating on defense on the pick and roll. Players fighting through screens. Players on defense picking up on the cutters to the hoop to eliminate the easy dish off for an uncontested shoot (all shoots need to be contested). Player playing both sides of the court. Moving the ball on offense give it up to the open man. If you drive the ball and there is two to three defenders on you there is one to two guys wide open to shoot an uncontested shoot. Players moving to get open on offence.

What if you blink and you miss one? ;) I like your basic concept here.

In your challenge, must you see that all players be 100% successful in these efforts before you donate the $100? Also, if the AD accepted your challenge, would that be an NCAA rules violation? Just asking.

However, what about a challenge based upon objective criteria that anyone could verify? Some of us who do not live in Detroit and watch on TV are dependent upon the camera angle being shown to see the action. But a different type of challenge might get a lot of participants.

For example, Titan Reggie will be honored at this Saturday's game and the spirit award(s) presented in his honor. I would join a "Make the Turnovers Hurt" challenge for the WMU game. We could each agree to donate in his Reggie's honor $10 for each point the Titans score off turnovers. In future games, the challenge could be $10 each time the Titans hold the opponent to one shot or less in a possession. Or $10 per assist. I would join such a challenge. What do you think?
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:01 pm

ptctitan wrote:
JDetroitTitan wrote:This team needs to play fundamental basketball. I will donate $100 to the athletic department only if in the next game I see players boxing out on every shot. Player communicating on defense on the pick and roll. Players fighting through screens. Players on defense picking up on the cutters to the hoop to eliminate the easy dish off for an uncontested shoot (all shoots need to be contested). Player playing both sides of the court. Moving the ball on offense give it up to the open man. If you drive the ball and there is two to three defenders on you there is one to two guys wide open to shoot an uncontested shoot. Players moving to get open on offence.

In your challenge, must you see that all players be 100% successful in these efforts before you donate the $100? Also, if the AD accepted your challenge, would that be an NCAA rules violation? Just asking.

However, what about a challenge based upon objective criteria that anyone could verify? Some of us who do not live in Detroit and watch on TV are dependent upon the camera angle being shown to see the action. But a different type of challenge might get a lot of participants.

For example, Titan Reggie will be honored at this Saturday's game and the spirit award(s) presented in his honor. I would join a "Make the Turnovers Hurt" challenge for the WMU game. We could each agree to donate in his Reggie's honor $10 for each point the Titans score off turnovers. In future games, the challenge could be $10 each time the Titans hold the opponent to one shot or less in a possession. Or $10 per assist. I would join such a challenge. What do you think?

PTC, please shut up! Just stop your lame ideas and questions on how to donate $100 to the program. JDetroit puts a great offer out there, and you try to modify it. Think before you write. Well done JDetroit!

I have an idea, I’ll donate $100 if PTC stops his insanity! Wait, that’s not possible, PTC can’t help himself. I’ll go with JDetroit’s program!
Titans96
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:18 am

Titans96 wrote:
ptctitan wrote:

PTC, please shut up! Just stop your lame ideas and questions on how to donate $100 to the program. JDetroit puts a great offer out there, and you try to modify it. Think before you write. Well done JDetroit!

I have an idea, I’ll donate $100 if PTC stops his insanity! Wait, that’s not possible, PTC can’t help himself. I’ll go with JDetroit’s program!

Although not a major infraction 96, please don't tell anyone to shut up whether you like them or not they are entitled to an opinion. Please respect that.
titanmike
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:28 am

ptctitan wrote:

This sounds pretty interesting, I would be in, could be fun!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:11 am

uofdmik2008 wrote:
ptctitan wrote:

This sounds pretty interesting, I would be in, could be fun!

Ok, Lets try this way instead here are the rules: (We each donate who is in just for the Western Game)

-If the Titan have more assist then are opponent will be a $10 donation
-Opp. has more than 15 turnover is a $15 donation and every time we score off of a turnover is a $2 donation (make it hurt)
-If we have at least 17 assist is a $10 donation, If we get 25 or more assist is another $10 donation. A no look pass is $5 (limited to 2). JJJR has 8 assist will be $5 donation
-One alley oop is a $10, Two alley oop is $5 any addition alley oop is $2 and every alley oop that is a Josh to Blackshear connection will be an added $5 (limited to 2) ** in memory of all those Ray to Anderson alley oops**
-(Titan Def. Rebound - Opp Off. Rebound) x $1
-Every uncontested shoot Titan makes is a $1 donation
-Every uncontested shoot Opp make is -$1

I will need some help adding some of these up. Alumni please help count out for the ones I can't get from stats. Post your count or count off on the board
Last edited by JDetroitTitan on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby bctitans1987 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:24 am

This is all way to complicated. Just tell BA and Vowels that you will make a donation for every win. That's not a violation.

BTW: Good luck getting a donation receipt from Vowels. Can you say "clown show"?
bctitans1987
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:54 am

I'll pledge $100 for every Fulbright Scholar the university produces. Students only, not faculty.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:47 pm

bctitans1987 wrote:This is all way to complicated. Just tell BA and Vowels that you will make a donation for every win. That's not a violation.

BTW: Good luck getting a donation receipt from Vowels. Can you say "clown show"?

In the 7 years that I have been making donations to the athletic department I received every receipt, whether under Vowels or Geither! Maybe you should talk to your post office or make sure your address is updated with the Athletic Department. Although you are generally right the AD never personally delivered the receipt, but I have received multiple thank you letters with the receipt in the mail!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:34 am

uofdmik2008 wrote:
bctitans1987 wrote:This is all way to complicated. Just tell BA and Vowels that you will make a donation for every win. That's not a violation.

In the 7 years that I have been making donations to the athletic department I received every receipt, whether under Vowels or Geither! Maybe you should talk to your post office or make sure your address is updated with the Athletic Department. Although you are generally right the AD never personally delivered the receipt, but I have received multiple thank you letters with the receipt in the mail!

Same here. I always get a receipt and letter in the mail.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Dick Vitale » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:19 am

For what Vowels inherited, I'll give him credit. He may need to spend some more time coaching BA but otherwise, he's done a decent job.
Dick Vitale
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:17 pm

Lets see how they did

Ok, Lets try this way instead here are the rules: (We each donate who is in just for the Western Game)

-If the Titan have more assist then are opponent will be a $10 donation = $O
-Opp. has more than 15 turnover is a $15 donation( = $0) and every time we score off of a turnover is a $2 donation (make it hurt) (2 out of 9 = $4)
-If we have at least 17 assist is a $10 donation (=$0), If we get 25 or more assist is another $10 donation(=$0). A no look pass is $5 (limited to 2)(I saw three from Black, one from jjjr and at least one from Mcfolly, to bad I put a limit on this one (= $10) to bad only one of this turned into an assist). JJJR has 8 assist will be $5 donation (=$0)
-One alley oop is a $10, Two alley oop is $5 any addition alley oop is $2 and every alley oop that is a Josh to Blackshear connection will be an added $5 (limited to 2) ** in memory of all those Ray to Anderson alley oops** (=$0) Almost had one to Hogan.
-(Titan Def. Rebound - Opp Off. Rebound) x $1 ( 26-9 = $17) Well done a big improvement
-Every uncontested shoot Titan makes is a $1 donation .
-Every uncontested shoot Opp make is -$1 - I am going to say these two are a wash unless someone has a good count on these. I know the first half there was at least a head in the face for every jump shoot. The second half it was a different story. (=$0)

Total of = $31 Donation I think if I would of done the first challenge I would of donated half because there first half of play show how good this team can start to become. The second half was like watching the Toledo game. Also we scored off 2 of 9 on turnovers but Broncos score 9 of 19 that's a big difference. Turnover hurt use on trying to bring a W to the D.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:55 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:
uofdmik2008 wrote:

Same here. I always get a receipt and letter in the mail.

Ditto. No real gripe about my interactions with the department. They're not perfect and I have called them out on some things, but personally--no issues and all the receipts. With Gaither, Horn, and Vowels. Heck, Gaither offered me a place to stay while her husband was out of town. That's going the extra mile. ;)
MooseGuy1
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball